A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 S8

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 09:40 PM
Back axle behind the ears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
I've been buying new and used Audi's for many years. As my experience, they're all reliable if you get a working one for the start. My average yearly cost of driving these cars are $500 for 5 years or 50k miles. My 10 year old Q7 bought new, $400 for tires with 55k miles... yes, nothing even brakes while others spent tons of money.
No ones ever listen to me, Audi break down due to operators errors. The shops make mistakes, break the cars, look at the VCDS and start to replace good parts because of NOT understanding the system, creating new problems and then the cars became walking wounded.... domino effect.
People said I was lucky, but all my Audi's since 80's until now? My 98 A6 bought new and my father is still driving it. My 04 cabriolet bought used from original owner, my sister is still driving... one thing they must do is only change oil with Mobil 1 once or twice a year, no recommended services from anyone as long as it starts right up and drive fine. If it works don't fix it. No flush this, flush that, no bleeding this, bleeding that... just check fluids levels.
All my Lucky Audi cost less to drive than even Toyota or Honda.
I've never buy cheap Audi... I truly believe cheap doesn't mean good deal. I only buy from owners because I can tell if the owners are honest. Honest owners will not cheat you, especially Audi owners, they're mostly nice people, not bums at least in my case.

Cheers,
Louis
That's fair comment tbh, had the same with my 750i's in UK, old when I bought them but never gave me any trouble...
To be fair, I've not even plugged my S8 into anything yet so I'm not sure what might be lurking but it seems to run and drive fine, have put maybe 1500 miles on it since I've had it, I think it just seems to suffer from mostly the typical niggles, blown speakers, stuck tweeter (still can't believe that this nearly $7k sound system is so **** in terms of reliability and even sound), sunroof not working at all, boot lid mot opening properly, intermittent but seemingly no effect on suspension yellow suspension light coming on here and there...
I think it may have a small oil leak and God alone only knows why it had 3-4 days of dumping at least a litre of coolant a day out a week or so ago which has now stopped, it's remained full since then.. What kind of sorcery is that...??!
Finding a good mechanic here is the big problem, I don't really have the time, the inclination and certainly not the tools to do anything myself so I'm at the mercy of others in that respect... Wouldn't trust any of the main dealers here either, they're only here to take as much money off the Arabs as they can...!!

I have the same problem as you with Apple products lol, lots of people I know always moaning about their iPhones and Macs, I've been religiously using both for at least the last 7-8 years and I've never had any problems with either... I'm sure that's not 'luck' either...!!
Old 03-19-2018, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been buying new and used Audi's for many years. As my experience, they're all reliable if you get a working one for the start. My average yearly cost of driving these cars are $500 for 5 years or 50k miles. My 10 year old Q7 bought new, $400 for tires with 55k miles... yes, nothing even brakes while others spent tons of money.
No ones ever listen to me, Audi break down due to operators errors. The shops make mistakes, break the cars, look at the VCDS and start to replace good parts because of NOT understanding the system, creating new problems and then the cars became walking wounded.... domino effect.
People said I was lucky, but all my Audi's since 80's until now? My 98 A6 bought new and my father is still driving it. My 04 cabriolet bought used from original owner, my sister is still driving... one thing they must do is only change oil with Mobil 1 once or twice a year, no recommended services from anyone as long as it starts right up and drive fine. If it works don't fix it. No flush this, flush that, no bleeding this, bleeding that... just check fluids levels.
All my Lucky Audi cost less to drive than even Toyota or Honda.
I've never buy cheap Audi... I truly believe cheap doesn't mean good deal. I only buy from owners because I can tell if the owners are honest. Honest owners will not cheat you, especially Audi owners, they're mostly nice people, not bums at least in my case.

Cheers,
Louis
I think this is very good advice.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 329 Likes on 278 Posts

No ones ever listen to me, Audi break down due to operators errors. The shops make mistakes, break the cars, look at the VCDS and start to replace good parts because of NOT understanding the system, creating new problems and then the cars became walking wounded.... domino effect...
If it works don't fix it. No flush this, flush that, no bleeding this, bleeding that... just check fluids levels.
+1
Old 03-23-2018, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 329 Likes on 278 Posts

I've never owned an S8, I've never driven one. And the reason why I am in this specific thread is that like the OP I am considering one.
My take on this is the S8 can't be as reliable as the A6. It's a bigger vehicle with a more powerful engine, a more complicated setup, with mostly every single option available. The more options you have on your car, the less reliable it is because the probability of a failure is high. This should be expected.

I am still waiting on more S8 owners comments to decide but one sure thing is when you are going for it, you should make sure you buy one that was well maintained. Like ltooz_a6_a8_q7 said, these sophisticated masterpieces are not flawless but can become a nightmare when unqualified shops mess them up and cover it up. Given how expensive it is to properly maintain these beasts out of warranty, finding an immaculate S8 would be almost impossible.

If you are mechanically inclined and have enough tools to work on such a car, you could take the risk and buy one that is worth it, price/condition wise.