A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 A8L suspension clarification

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 A8L suspension clarification

Greetings all. I am awaiting the delivery of a 2010 A8L to a shop for the PPI. In the meantime, I'm researching and yes, I've used the search function.

I've avoided cars with airbag suspensions I decided to take the plunge due to my limited understanding of the problem... the gentleman who currently owns the car had a $5K repair to the suspension - rear strut/bag and compressor as I understand it.

My shallow and perhaps false assumption was "Great, it already had the big problem" until I reflected more on why the compressor fails, i.e. leaks.

Use of the search function here has led me to believe that the reality is more like any corner can fail, and when one does, it is up to $6k???

I've been driving out of warranty MB, BMW and Volvos for the past 350K miles. With that said, knock on wood, I've always followed the maintenance schedules and never had a repair like that hit me.

So -

1) Am I correct in my belief that the repair just means there is a new compressor and one good corner, but that 75% of the system is still 8 years old and may develop a $5K-ish leak?

2) Obviously the 2010 can fail since it just did, but are they any better or worse than other years?

Many thanks, hope to join the family soon.

Best -

Paul
Old 06-04-2018, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Yes, correct only one corner repaired so far. Most leaks are in front too.

BUT, repair shouldn't be $6K. That sounds like new dealer parts and labor all the way, maybe including the valve block too. If you keep track of system and don't drive it except home and then to get repaired after spotting a leak, compressor should not need replacement. Even at dealer price, an air shock unit is a bit under $1900 list, and about $`1500 via discounted dealer. Tow or three hours for a shop to install if they know the job and no other issues. Also rebuilt options, though quality is sketchy often, or junkyard for yet less.

2010 is maybe a little early to lose one, so hopefully some years left before another. Later years typically always better for parts revs. Our high miles owner Mister Bally is edging toward 300K and has only lost one, quite a while ago now.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-04-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

You've made me feel 3% better about the purchase/risk factor :^)
Old 06-04-2018, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by pangris
The shocks seem to fail at random at this point. The failure usually starts slow, but the symptoms are obvious if you know them, and diagnosis is usually simple, even if it takes a little patience. It is easy to avoid the compressor replacement, and it's a very simple repair for a reputable independent shop. A new OEM strut can be had for $1500-$1600 if you look, so even if you choose the highest quality repair, it's around $2000 to do. I would avoid any car with a coil over conversion, because if you are that worried about an air suspension, you shouldn't even look at an A8 or most other large luxury cars.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:14 PM
Back axle behind the ears

Greetings all. I am awaiting the delivery of a 2010 A8L to a shop for the PPI. In the meantime, I'm researching and yes, I've used the search function.

I've avoided cars with airbag suspensions I decided to take the plunge due to my limited understanding of the problem... the gentleman who currently owns the car had a $5K repair to the suspension - rear strut/bag and compressor as I understand it.

My shallow and perhaps false assumption was "Great, it already had the big problem" until I reflected more on why the compressor fails, i.e. leaks.

Use of the search function here has led me to believe that the reality is more like any corner can fail, and when one does, it is up to $6k???

I've been driving out of warranty MB, BMW and Volvos for the past 350K miles. With that said, knock on wood, I've always followed the maintenance schedules and never had a repair like that hit me.

So -

1) Am I correct in my belief that the repair just means there is a new compressor and one good corner, but that 75% of the system is still 8 years old and may develop a $5K-ish leak?

2) Obviously the 2010 can fail since it just did, but are they any better or worse than other years?

Many thanks, hope to join the family soon.

Best -

Paul
You can buy my S8 if you want, it's had 2 new front struts and a new compressor...!!
Old 06-04-2018, 11:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Why buy something that you're not sure about? The suspension is solid, mine only leaked one passenger side, replaced the bag and it's as good as new @119k, now it's 125k miles.

I wouldn't buy any car that's newer, less mileage and had to replace already. Logic is either the car was abused or broke by unknowledgeable mechanics like some someone's trying to sell the S8 here
Cheers and good luck,
Louis
Old 06-04-2018, 11:57 PM
Back axle behind the ears

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Why buy something that you're not sure about? The suspension is solid, mine only leaked one passenger side, replaced the bag and it's as good as new @119k, now it's 125k miles.

I wouldn't buy any car that's newer, less mileage and had to replace already. Logic is either the car was abused or broke by unknowledgeable mechanics like some someone's trying to sell the S8 here
Cheers and good luck,
Louis
You need to remember mate that I'm not in US or Europe, I don't have the luxury of being able to pick and choose who fixes my car. here.. You should see the industrial area here in Doha, then you would understand...!!
I bought a german car here, against advice might I add, because I only had BMW in the UK, none of which ever gave me serious issues ever...
And any work that needed doing, I was lucky enough to have an ex BMW fitter to do it who was sh*thot...
My first X5 here was a disaster so I tried an Audi, my first ever, and that has also been a disaster...
So I will now do what I should have done in the first place and as you said, either get an American or Japanese car... Seeing as they're the only ones who have actually bothered to study the effect of extreme heat on their vehicles...!!
Some things just aren't meant to be I guess.... But you don't know till you try...
Old 06-05-2018, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 2010 in early March and put just under 7000 miles on it. The suspension is fine so far but I know it can go at any time. That's just how it is. And if it did I would fix it with a smile. This car is the bomb! I should've bought one a long time ago.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

I would be cautious about buying a car that just had lot of money spent on fixing. I would drive to recoup some of the money unless I see more money needed and it's not worth the headache.
http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/looki...sed-a8-d3.html
Cheers and good luck,
Louis
Old 06-05-2018, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

You aren't going to be able to recoup any of the cost. Advertising all you have fixed just makes people think of first what else can go wrong and second doubt the repairs already made.

Quick Reply: 2010 A8L suspension clarification