AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/)
-   -   2nd round of Mods (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/2nd-round-mods-2889284/)

TSHong 09-21-2015 04:28 PM

+1 on the current draw. Most HID kits uses a 35 watts and a regular halogen bulb uses that may wattss so there would be no adverse battery effects. You could decrease your HID bulb life by a slight amount with a lot of on/off cycles. Since the bulbs are so cheap, I would not sweat it.

Junius 09-21-2015 04:48 PM

Yes TSHong! That spoiler looks really good.....

PaulW 09-22-2015 03:57 AM

Thomas: Do you have the Bose system or B&O in the new car? I have to say that my B&O system in the S8 needs more bass. When I did a similar mod to my D2 S8 with the Bose system, that system rocked!

richard-tx 09-22-2015 05:18 AM

Bass is funny stuff. Distortion at low frequencies is usually perceived as more bass, not distortion. When McIntosh Labs came out with their low-distortion bass driver, some people complained that it was lacking bass. Spectrum analysis showed a flat response. On recordings that had distorted bass like most rock recordings, the bass was fine. It was when program material did not include an amplified bass guitar for example, was when when the bass was perceived as less than ideal.

PaulW 09-22-2015 05:22 AM

I can tell you that the perceived sound and bass from my wife's 2010 Q5 B&O stereo is so much better than the "bright" sound in my S8.

sbcrazy 09-22-2015 06:32 AM

Just ordered my trunk spoiler today, great price. We will see if they can match metallic. Thanks for the link.

CobraCommander 09-22-2015 07:06 AM

Good insight Paul...its worthwhile considering the sub upgrade that Thomas has, although I'd want to replace the OEM sub and have it look as seamless.

richard-tx 09-22-2015 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by PaulW (Post 24726111)
I can tell you that the perceived sound and bass from my wife's 2010 Q5 B&O stereo is so much better than the "bright" sound in my S8.

Agreed. You actually do get something for your money with B&O.

The Bose system is OK but there is nothing there to brag about. The B&O is another thing altogether.

My next car must have two things. Adaptive cruise and B&O.

Doc_A8 09-22-2015 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by sbcrazy (Post 24726133)
Just ordered my trunk spoiler today, great price. We will see if they can match metallic. Thanks for the link.

Yep, same here. Also ordered a set of trunk rings (emblem). The PO of my sled removed all emblems off of the trunk.

TSHong 09-22-2015 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by PaulW (Post 24726086)
Thomas: Do you have the Bose system or B&O in the new car? I have to say that my B&O system in the S8 needs more bass. When I did a similar mod to my D2 S8 with the Bose system, that system rocked!

Paul, I have the B&O with my new to me D3. Let me tell you, when you add a good sub, you will be amazed by the whole B&O system. The B&O does have some clean mid bass but nothing with impact. I just can't explain it unless you hear the difference. If someone is happy with the B&O sub, there is no reason to change it. For me, I've had a sub for so long so my ears cannot handle the lack of low end with any factory system. An infinite baffle sub just cannot produce high volume of deep , rich, impact-full bass.

Also take a look at the JL Audio Power Wedge sealed box. It is only a little more than 5 inches thick. Takes very little trunk space for a sub.