A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.5mm headphone cable

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.5mm headphone cable

Hi there,

I've recently bought a 2005 A8 which I absolutely love. It has the AMI but not MMI (there's a space in the glovebox to the right of the cd changer).

I'd like to wire in a 3. 5mm headphone lead so I can plug in my phone and play audio (podcasts, Spotify) through the stereo.

I've heard the quality can be poor using Bluetooth so am thinking an old school lead may be better.

I've seen leads like this one but I'm not clear on where this plugs in? My glovebox does have a port on the top side, does a lead line this plug into that?

Amazon Amazon

Thanks in advance,

Tom
Old 10-12-2017, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

If you have an AMI, I doubt you have any space next to the CD changer, it's big enough to fill the rectangular space next to the CD. Take a picture and we can show you where the connector for your cable go.

Cheers,
Louis
Old 10-12-2017, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Perkins
Hi there,

I've recently bought a 2005 A8 which I absolutely love. It has the AMI but not MMI (there's a space in the glovebox to the right of the cd changer).
Thanks in advance,

Tom
Hi Tom; I think you've used some wrong terms.
The MMI is the system software [Multi Media Interface]; the A8 buttons and screen control and show you the MMI.
The AMI is the Audi Music Interface that sits in the glove box and allow devices to attach via [special] cable.
Most A8s have a CD changer and optionally an AMI. Pictures attached.
Have you got an AMI based on these?
Julian
Attached Images   
Old 10-12-2017, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JulianHicks
Hi Tom; I think you've used some wrong terms.
The MMI is the system software [Multi Media Interface]; the A8 buttons and screen control and show you the MMI.
The AMI is the Audi Music Interface that sits in the glove box and allow devices to attach via [special] cable.
Most A8s have a CD changer and optionally an AMI. Pictures attached.
Have you got an AMI based on these?
Julian
Hi Julian,

Thanks for your polite reply, I think I have indeed got my AMI mixed up with my MMI. From your pictures it looks like I don't in fact have MMI, just AMI.

There is however a port on the top side/underside of my glovebox, is this a diagnostic port or can I plug a lead into this to give me a 3.5mm lead?
Old 10-13-2017, 01:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi Julian,

... From your pictures it looks like I don't in fact have MMI, just AMI.

There is however a port on the top side/underside of my glovebox, is this a diagnostic port or can I plug a lead into this to give me a 3.5mm lead?
Tom, just to try and clear this up, you DO have an A8, don't you?

The A8 AMI looks like the following and the device cable connects to the port behind the door on the left. [See attached pictures].

MMI isn't an object you can point at; it's the software system running the car, so you DO have MMI - version 2G, assuming you have a 2005 D3 A8. [The VIN will have '4E' as characters 7&8].

Not sure what you mean by 'port on the glovebox'; the diagnostic port is under the dash on the driver's side. [Or at least it is on UK cars where the steering wheel and diagnostic port are on the right hand side of the car ]

Julian
Attached Images   
Old 10-13-2017, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Tom, just to try and clear this up, you DO have an A8, don't you?

The A8 AMI looks like the following and the device cable connects to the port behind the door on the left. [See attached pictures].

MMI isn't an object you can point at; it's the software system running the car, so you DO have MMI - version 2G, assuming you have a 2005 D3 A8. [The VIN will have '4E' as characters 7&8].

Not sure what you mean by 'port on the glovebox'; the diagnostic port is under the dash on the driver's side. [Or at least it is on UK cars where the steering wheel and diagnostic port are on the right hand side of the car ]

Julian
Hi Julian,

I definitely have an A8 but thanks for checking.

Thanks for clearing that up, looks like I have MMI without AMI (see photos).

So now we know where we stand, is there a way to get a 3.5mm headphone lead into the cabin using my current setup?

Tom
Attached Thumbnails 3.5mm headphone cable-20171013_115947.jpg   3.5mm headphone cable-20171013_115942.jpg   3.5mm headphone cable-20171013_115938.jpg  
Old 10-13-2017, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

So now we know where we stand, is there a way to get a 3.5mm headphone lead into the cabin using my current setup?

Tom
Aha; so you have a BBC car [i.e. a UK car ]. Didn't realise that from any of your comments. [This is a US based forum, so it's best to let everyone know where you and your car are from]

The standard A8 amps don't have any AUX input; 'standard' Audi device options are:
1) get a second-user 2G AMI and plug your iPhone in. All control is from the car menus as the AMI incorporates the Apple iDevice menu into the car menus. The 200 quid option - price of an AMI.
2) get a second-user analog TV unit and plug the phone into the TV aux sockets. No control from car menu and unless you add extra wiring, the TV is in the boot [left side under navigation DVD]. The 50 quid option - price of an analogue TV.

Note that neither of these are 'dead easy' as you'll have connection issues to solve; the AMI is easier than the TV.

There may be other solutions recommended but I bought an AMI in 2009 for my 2004 A8 so I haven't tried them ...

Julian

P.S. For an AMI you need to have at least MMI version 3460, I believe. [Best to be on 5570 - the last version, though].
P.P.S. Just worked out you're in Southampton/Portsmouth area

Last edited by JulianHicks; 10-13-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

1) get a second-user 2G AMI and plug your iPhone in. All control is from the car menus as the AMI incorporates the Apple iDevice menu into the car menus. The 200 quid option - price of an AMI.
That sounds like a good option, do you happen to know the part number I need? I've seen one on eBay Germany that says it's for newer vehicles (part no. 8T0035785A) but wondering if it will fit?

2) get a second-user analog TV unit and plug the phone into the TV aux sockets. No control from car menu and unless you add extra wiring, the TV is in the boot [left side under navigation DVD]. The 50 quid option - price of an analogue TV.
My car does have an analog tuner installed. Does that mean I could get a lead to use the TV aux sockets but would have to leave my phone in the boot and have no control over tracks?

P.S. For an AMI you need to have at least MMI version 3460, I believe. [Best to be on 5570 - the last version, though].
Good to know, how can I check? I've gone into the version screen and get the following information:

SW: D3-HU 21.2.0 0534
HW: D3-HU 6300D2.0
FC SW: 03513AUFC78K0F53c
FC PS: 0100 FC HW: H42

I am indeed, about 35 miles north of Southampton. How did you work that out?
Old 10-16-2017, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Aha; so you have a BBC car [i.e. a UK car ]. Didn't realise that from any of your comments. [This is a US based forum, so it's best to let everyone know where you and your car are from]
Apologies, it is indeed a UK car

Do you know the part number of the AMI unit I require? I've found one on eBay Germany that is part number 8T0035785A

Do you know how I check version number? I've gone into the Car > Version screen and see the following info:

I am indeed, about 30 miles north of Southampton. How did you work that out?
Old 10-18-2017, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Apologies, it is indeed a UK car

Do you know the part number of the AMI unit I require? I've found one on eBay Germany that is part number 8T0035785A

Do you know how I check version number? I've gone into the Car > Version screen and see the following info:

I am indeed, about 30 miles north of Southampton. How did you work that out?
Hi Tom:

1) AMI part number for A8s is 4E0 035 785. This is the version required for 2G MMI systems. When searching, check what the buyer is selling; the unit on its own will require power and optical 'y leads' to splice into the supplies unless you replace the CD.

2) Your MMI version is 2120 [SW: D3-HU ---> 21.2.0 <--- 0534]. That's old - 0534 is week 34 of 2005 - and needs an update to support the AMI. [We can talk about that if you go ahead although you ought to upgrade to the latest / final version 5570 anyway].

3) Your Tuner screen shot shows BBC national stations and two local stations. Easy to look up the locals on Google

Julian

Last edited by JulianHicks; 10-18-2017 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply: 3.5mm headphone cable