A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.2 liter 8 cylinder gushing oil out of drivers side of engine.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT
Is this it in the red and yellow circles ?

Click on pic to enlarge.

Yes it is definitely in the yellow circle on the second pic
Old 08-02-2016, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Without a better picture or your looking at a parts diagram or something, i can't pin it down. I don't know so far if it is a sheared or failed hard part, or a missing seal. None of these scenarios is common on a 4.2--absent some repair work gone wrong perhaps.

Below are three pictures from my 2000 A6 4.2. Not exactly a D3 4.2, in the zone and both have same general timing belt drive and motor configuration. First is general motor. Second is driver's side head with valve cover pulled. Third is passenger side head. What is on the back of the drivers side head in part is what is on front of passenger side head (except timing belt drive is on both). Look at your passenger side head in front and see if you can identify the same thing as what seems to be missing on the drivers head, trying to take a better picture of the front of the passenger side head where sight lines are a lot better.
Thank you for the pics, tomorrow morning I will look on the front of the engine and provide pictures as well as possibly removing the valve covers.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Yllier
Thank you for the pics, tomorrow morning I will look on the front of the engine and provide pictures as well as possibly removing the valve covers.
Depending on what it is, you may not need to remove valve covers. The earlier era 4.2 for my A6 or the D2 was such you could take the cam sensors off solely externally. A very different design, but likewise on my W12. The seals at the ends of the cams would need to have cover come off, and you would want to underhand what went wrong. The CEL has me thinking it may be the cam sensor, and picture might have been the base of it or mounting point. Since it is electrically connected, you would also find the other part of it dangling from its connector back there.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Yllier
Yes it is definitely in the yellow circle on the second pic
I don't know what is in center of that yellow circle. At upper edge of circle is the cam sensor assembly. Again, keep in mind front of passenger side head is very much like rear of drivers side head, other than where the cam gear attaches. Thus you have a good comparison head to look at right next to the problem, and on the easier to see front side of it.

Below is a parts diagram screen shot if it helps. If you click on this link you can get to the source diagram and then see any part # or description you think might be it. 2005 Audi Audi A8/S8 quattro United States market: Engine Cylinder head 3.7/4.2ltr. 8-cylinder+ petrol eng.+ BFL,BFM
Attached Thumbnails 4.2 liter 8 cylinder gushing oil out of drivers side of engine.-screen-shot-2016-08-02-9.24.21-pm.png  

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-02-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Your PCV valve has failed shut and caused an over-pressure event which has blown out the press-fit oil plug on the end of the camshaft. Clean the plug and the end of the camshaft with rubbing alcohol, and then put the plug in the freezer for a few hours so you can reinsert it. And don't forget to replace the PCV valve!
Old 08-03-2016, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jandreas
Your PCV valve has failed shut and caused an over-pressure event which has blown out the press-fit oil plug on the end of the camshaft. Clean the plug and the end of the camshaft with rubbing alcohol, and then put the plug in the freezer for a few hours so you can reinsert it. And don't forget to replace the PCV valve!
Thank you! Ordering parts from Audi now.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
I don't know what is in center of that yellow circle. At upper edge of circle is the cam sensor assembly. Again, keep in mind front of passenger side head is very much like rear of drivers side head, other than where the cam gear attaches. Thus you have a good comparison head to look at right next to the problem, and on the easier to see front side of it.

Below is a parts diagram screen shot if it helps. If you click on this link you can get to the source diagram and then see any part # or description you think might be it. 2005 Audi Audi A8/S8 quattro United States market: Engine Cylinder head 3.7/4.2ltr. 8-cylinder+ petrol eng.+ BFL,BFM
The explosion diagram was very helpful, thank you. Calling the Audi dealer and ordering parts now
Old 08-03-2016, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jandreas
Discovered that vacuum line coming from PCV valve to vacuum pots on front of engine is damaged. Any correlation?
Old 08-18-2016, 08:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is happening on my 2004 A8L. I have an open post from 18 months ago as I have not driven my Audi for a while and was not sure where the leak was coming from. I finally had a few hours to take a look today and saw oil gushing from the same spot as detailed in this post. I will reference this post. I suspected there was an issue with the PCV valve. Also any idea on the part number for the oil plug?
Old 08-19-2016, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kishoreh
This is happening on my 2004 A8L. I have an open post from 18 months ago as I have not driven my Audi for a while and was not sure where the leak was coming from. I finally had a few hours to take a look today and saw oil gushing from the same spot as detailed in this post. I will reference this post. I suspected there was an issue with the PCV valve. Also any idea on the part number for the oil plug?

I ordered an engine expansion plug from the dealer and that turned out to be the wrong part. Spoke to the parts guy yesterday and he said that the part I was looking for did not seem to be available separate from the head. Going down to the dealer today to talk to a technician and see if they've run into this issue before and if there is any other way of solving it besides replacing the head. I'll report back my findings.

Quick Reply: 4.2 liter 8 cylinder gushing oil out of drivers side of engine.