A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.2 Oil cooler seals

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.2 Oil cooler seals

Hello all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've got a D3 A8 with a leaking oil cooler. Does this require engine removal to replace? Do you have to replace the cooler, or can it be resealed?

I've found lots of information on D1/D2/A6 etc...but really just want to make sure. If it can be done in car, I'd like to try it...if not, I guess I need to sell a kidney or something.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry, I should probably say I have a 2004 model with 93,000 miles.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Not so sure on D3, but I have paid around $1200 at the dealer on (now departed ) D2. They did not have to move the engine but it was a big job.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cooler

No need to remove the engine or replace the actual cooler.
usually is just the connecting pipe to the engine block what breaks.
make sure you have some really good Allen sockets for this, head in the bolts are very shallow.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the input so far!

Looking at it closer, it looks like the frame rails bolt on? Surely you can't just remove 6 bolts and slide the frame rail out?
Old 05-28-2012, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default rails

Originally Posted by Letsgopens
Thanks for the input so far!

Looking at it closer, it looks like the frame rails bolt on? Surely you can't just remove 6 bolts and slide the frame rail out?
no need to remove that, find a place where you can have the car on a lift, you will be doing a lot of leverage under the car and oil and coolant will be dripping on you
Old 05-29-2012, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks! It appears from my research the D3 is indeed different, but I got it out successfully. There is a hard metal pipe on the top of it (aside from the ones that feed the alternator) that I couldn't get out of the way - even removing a couple exhaust manifold studs, so I pulled the front end and the torque mount off and voila! Oil cooler in my hands, and broken pipe accessible. Reassembly starting now!
Old 05-29-2012, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a small coolant leak: likely from the oil cooler nipple. I purchased an aluminum nipple for replacement from one of the members of the forum to replace the factory plastic. Can you describe the repair steps, and how long it took?
Old 01-29-2019, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please help

Originally Posted by Letsgopens
Thanks! It appears from my research the D3 is indeed different, but I got it out successfully. There is a hard metal pipe on the top of it (aside from the ones that feed the alternator) that I couldn't get out of the way - even removing a couple exhaust manifold studs, so I pulled the front end and the torque mount off and voila! Oil cooler in my hands, and broken pipe accessible. Reassembly starting now!
I+

I know this is an old post, but can you tell me what you meant by {I pulled the front end and the torque mount off} I'm not sure what that is. I need to do this job and your write-up seems the easiest.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by klouisdrk
I+

I know this is an old post, but can you tell me what you meant by {I pulled the front end and the torque mount off} I'm not sure what that is. I need to do this job and your write-up seems the easiest.
His way only seems the simplest because a whole lot of steps were omitted. You should be advised, the bolts on the oil cooler could be stripped easily, so you want as easy of access as you can.

Quick Reply: 4.2 Oil cooler seals