A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 d3 air suspension pump keeps running

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8 d3 air suspension pump keeps running

Please help Last week I got home and my air suspension pump kept running. I looked for a fuse to stop it but the pump burned up before I could find it. (I'll digress for a moment to comment on the placement of a needed fuse located inside the dashboard and the relay located under the floor. Much profanity when I hear the term "Excellence in Engineering")
I bought and installed new pump, fuse and relay and now the pump starts running while I am driving but stops when I pull over or stop at a stop sign, motor running and in gear?? when I start up again the pump restarts after a few moments only to stop again when I stop.
To check for leaks I put the cart in lift mode and then set it to jack mode overnight and measured the ride heights the next morning with no change.
Any ideas?
Old 04-06-2014, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome!

To digress for a moment, I absolutely agree with you. Positioning of those and some other fuses is as stupid as it gets.

Test for a leak in a usual height setup. May be the leak is gone in a lift mode. If there is no leak and you are sure compressor is running more than it should it might be the pressure sensor. VCDS scan would greatly help.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by scargordon
Please help Last week I got home and my air suspension pump kept running. I looked for a fuse to stop it but the pump burned up before I could find it. (I'll digress for a moment to comment on the placement of a needed fuse located inside the dashboard and the relay located under the floor. Much profanity when I hear the term "Excellence in Engineering")
I bought and installed new pump, fuse and relay and now the pump starts running while I am driving but stops when I pull over or stop at a stop sign, motor running and in gear?? when I start up again the pump restarts after a few moments only to stop again when I stop.
To check for leaks I put the cart in lift mode and then set it to jack mode overnight and measured the ride heights the next morning with no change.
Any ideas?
You could try jack mode to stop pump in an emergency. Of course you could not drive over 5mph or jack mode goes off, but it might save a compressor.

In one of the SSPs I read that the compressor only runs at certain vehicle speeds (over 35 MPH IIRC) as long as the reserve tank pressure is adequate.

I'd guess valve block is not valving properly.

-Tom
Old 04-08-2014, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a replacement pump that I could hear when driving and when you came to a stop the pump stopped. I think this is normal operation but if you can hear it there may be a problem. I replaced the pump with another new unit and it worked fine from then on.

Of course company that supplied pump said there was no problem with the pump that made a lot of noise. A New replacement pump resolved all noise issues.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed

First, I wish to thank the responders to my query. You are all appreciated.
Now I hope to help other desperate forumites with the same problem. I have an 07 A8 with the short wheelbase. After replacing the ruined air pump I replaced the relay under the passenger carpet (twice) and the 40 amp fuse in the dash behind the steering wheel. When started the pump began to run constantly even after the car was turned off. The only way to stop it was to unhook the battery. I took a guess and changed the pressure sensor (solenoid block) to no avail. After 3 days of hard thinking I decided the only way the pump would run after the car was turned off was a bad relay, so I tore open the dash again and found another relay (exactly the same as the one under the carpet) near the fuse location. Changed this relay and everything works perfectly. Moral, beware of changing the wrong relay, stupid me.
In the end it was a pain in the *** but this car is the best cornering car my 65 year old butt has ever been in and that includes Corvettes and assorted 2-seaters.
Thanks again for your help.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by scargordon
... this car is the best cornering car my 65 year old butt has ever been in and that includes Corvettes and assorted 2-seaters.
I am glad that you fixed it. Reading your post I was wondering about relay and fuse at different locations. If you asked or searched...

Now about the quote. Being of a fairly same age and having the same feeling about cornering, I must disagree. It is not really in a g forces. It is how our old bones, not to say buts, feel them.