A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 D3 keys locked in ignition and battery flat dead / ignition unlock wont work

Old 09-16-2014, 01:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8 D3 keys locked in ignition and battery flat dead / ignition unlock wont work

I have an 05 audi a8L. my key is locked in the ignition and battery is flat dead. I have tried the ingition unlock thing where you use a sharp object but there is nothing there and it does not work. Also i canno taccess the trunk release emergency in the trunk but my trunk is full so i cannot access it. There is no jump post under the hood so i am stuck. I tried to use the cigarette lighter jumper thing but cant do anything since battery is flat dead to even just open the trunk.

I am pretty much stuck and need help on what i can do to get this car going as it has sat like this for a month now. I tried to go under to see if i can access the alternator but car is on a slope, though i can see the alternator from the front of the car, i cannot see where the positive terminal is on it
Old 09-16-2014, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Have it towed to a dealer or service shop. They will get you going.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Make sure the gearstick is in the park position with the button on the side of the stick popped out correctly.

Then with the key in the off postion rock the steering to see if it locks and then try the key release button.

Failing that you could possiblly pull the fuse boxes out of either end of the dash to try and connect another battery to get enough juice in to power the car up.

Good luck
Old 09-16-2014, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Are you saying you cannot get into the trunk?

That just takes a key into the sort of hidden trunk keyhole, even if battery is dead. But maybe you have no other key? (Note to others about need for an extra key...).

+1 on other suggestion about fully locking steering by moving wheel and then seeing if key will come out.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Have it towed to a dealer or service shop. They will get you going.
Flat bed tow
And release the gear selector per the emergency procedure.

And per MP's post, yep you should always have extra keys.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

I think virtually all towing companies/drivers know to ask if your Audi is Quattro. Then they bring a flatbed or at least towing dollies. I was asked this in 1988 when I needed a tow.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Simpler way to tow. No need for setting it in D. But I would focus on that key release.

Name:  Towing_zps9e1e5e1f.jpg
Views: 2130
Size:  96.2 KB

Last edited by mishar; 09-16-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well.. since there are people posting on and reading this thread with thousands fewer posts than us it's a gentle reminder.

And no, I wouldn't trust any tow company.
I tell them what I want - no delivery on that - next.

ps - come to think of it, last time I had a vehicle snatched from my reserved parking spot they never asked me.... lots of crunching noises as I sipped my coffee and rounded the corner.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by haggisuk
Make sure the gearstick is in the park position with the button on the side of the stick popped out correctly.

Then with the key in the off postion rock the steering to see if it locks and then try the key release button.

Failing that you could possiblly pull the fuse boxes out of either end of the dash to try and connect another battery to get enough juice in to power the car up.

Good luck
how do i hook up the other battery to the fuse box? i am not very mechanically/electrically inclined.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by okegs4ever
how do i hook up the other battery to the fuse box? i am not very mechanically/electrically inclined.
I had a look at my fuse boxes and its probably too much hassle to get a bus connection on the back.

It may or may not be possible to insert power via a blade type connector in place of a 30amp fuse but I can make no guarantees on power actually getting to where it needs to be due to the complex nature of these cars.

I would if I were you focus on getting the key out.

I trust you have done the following

Agero Network News: Unlocking the Ignition Key in the Audi A8

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A8 D3 keys locked in ignition and battery flat dead / ignition unlock wont work