A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 (D3) Audi S8 - Engine Diagram or starter location?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 (D3) Audi S8 - Engine Diagram or starter location?

Does anyone know where I can find a diagram of the S8 V10 engine and/or know where the starter is located?

thanks!
Old 08-14-2018, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Starter is on passenger side. You can remove it by removing the front torque mount, and lower engine cradle. Support it from the top.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I don't have the knowledge or skills to do any of that.

I'm hoping to tap the starter a few times with a hammer to get it started to head to the shop.

I have no idea what the starter looks like or where it is?

thank for the quick reply
Old 08-14-2018, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

It looks like a regular starter, it's just buried behind those things Greg mentioned. You can't just hit it with a hammer, not a good angle to hit it with anything, really.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks guys. Guess it'll be a tow
Old 08-15-2018, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Here's a fun fact.

The Audi dealer just told me that entire engine and transmission need to come out (also draining fluids) to replace the starter. Apparently about 14 hours labour.

4 grand at Audi to replace a starter on my '07 S8
Old 08-15-2018, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sent you a PM. The dealer is correct on the procedure.
I am quite familiar with R&Ring the powertrain from these, got a whole youtube series of it. I can take care of it for you...if you want to tow the car down and wait a weekend.
Forgot to mention earlier, you need to remove the passenger exhaust manifold.
Here is the starter on my S8.

6 min 30 second mark.

Last edited by Greg5OH; 08-15-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Roberts
Does anyone know where I can find a diagram of the S8 V10 engine and/or know where the starter is located?

thanks!
Here you go for V10.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 08-15-2018, 05:29 PM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default That's a Bargain!

Originally Posted by Rick Roberts
Here's a fun fact.

The Audi dealer just told me that entire engine and transmission need to come out (also draining fluids) to replace the starter. Apparently about 14 hours labour.

4 grand at Audi to replace a starter on my '07 S8
ELSAWin shows 18.8 hours for that job. I was quoted over $8K for power steering pump rack by AUDI Chattanooga. Fortunately, it turned out to be a return hydro oil pipe.

Other jobs that are engine out on the D3 S8:

Power Steering Pump
Power Steering Rack
Some O2 Sensors (S8 D3 has eight!)

This car scares me. It makes Fahrvergnügen REALLY hard to come by. As my wife says, your AUDI is very hard to love.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes the upper O2 sensors for cyl 4/5 and 9/10 require an engine drop. The others you can get to from underneath the car.
For ther PS rack you cannn squeeze by by lowering the PT about 6 inches. Only benefit to this is if you are doing it in driveway with only jacks. If you have a hoist then just drop the powertrain out.
Lining up the trans back with the engine while it was out took me quite a bit to get right, then bolt up the torque converter etc. Then i struggled for a few hours getting hte torque mount to line up juuust right. Easier if you dont have the front clip on.

But yes, drain coolant, pull front clip (dont have to but it saves your hands from getting bruised squeezing into tight areas for hoses), disconnect and drain PS, evac and disconnect AC at the compressor, and those are also quite tight to get to. Remove both EC and lay them onto of the engine, undo suspension and brakes, hang brakes on chassis, i let the entire strut drop down as well, saves time and less things to unbolt but things still sezie time to time. undo the torque mount. take off passenger lower A pillar trim, take off alternator cable, feed it thru firewall. Take off front ride height sensors and alternator grounds. Undo the exhaust clamps, undo the driveshaft and support it,undo the lower O2 sensor bracket by the trans, undo the O 2 sensors in the passenger fender. undo the subframe bolts (10 in total including the rear brackets). drop engine down approx 1 foot, undo the shifter cable,

If anyone needs engine out work done on their S8, I live in MI, equipped to do the job and i am quicker at turnaround than most dealers and shops since I work on only 1 project at a time start to finish. Feel free to PM me.

Last edited by Greg5OH; 08-16-2018 at 06:34 AM.

Quick Reply: 2007 (D3) Audi S8 - Engine Diagram or starter location?