A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8vsS550vs750

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 11:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8vsS550vs750

what do you guys think about the new merc. I personally think the outside is nice, but inside is just atrocious, carbon copy of the 7, only uglier, cheaper, and absolutely hideous steering wheel.

Audi still rules for me

06 brilliant black/ amaretto interior
fully optioned.
no fridge
Old 05-31-2006, 11:51 PM

Default Re: A8vsS550vs750

Not an owner of any of the above yet. But i just placed an order for a 2007 A8
I looked at these 3 cars and eventually chose the Audi.
As an owner of a 645 coupe, I think that the BMW is great, but i still prefer the pre-facelifted ones. Test drove the 750i and it handles pretty well for a big car.
I have the same opinion on the new S550. It does look great on the outside, but the dash seems a little bit awkward and much of it is replicated from the bmw. The seating, however, is very nice. And it's fast too. Price is another downside. Starting at 86k, and im already seeing more and more driven on the road in SF downtown.
About the audi, i think you guys know more than i do. I really do like the new styling and the A8 seems to have more exclusivity compared to the merc and the bmw. That's what i really like about it besides the excellent design in the interior.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Lots of opinions on this and other boards when comparing these 3 cars

The lease on my '04 A8L is up in 9 months and have been going back and forth in my mind and out loud (my wife now refuses to hear my thought process on this subject!) on what to get next. The candidates in order of current preference are:

- S8
- E63
- S550
- 750Li
- M5

The A8L is my first Audi and have been impressed with its quality, reliability and dealer service - and this is purely YMMV, LOTS of negative opinions on the aforementioned subjects in this forum about Audi in general; I've been lucky. So an S8 is almost a no brainer.

But the Mercedes products intrigue me nonetheless, despite their recent quality problems. My SL500 has been through 2 recalls already but no unscheduled services but the mileage is low as it's not driven all the time; my folks' '05 E500 4matic wagon has been back at the dealer unscheduled 6 times and 2 recalls in 12 months and they're trading it for a 750i. The E63 with the new engine is a monster and the S550 sets new standards in safety and engineering - but also means more opportunities for bits to go awry. By many reviews, the Comand is superior to the iDrive and some even prefer it to MMI, I cannot comment as I've not yet played with it.

However, I plan to trade the SL for a P-car soon, a 997 S, later this year or early '07, so won't know what the true state of reliability of the R230 SL-class will be in the longer run.

As for BMWs, we've been a BMW owning family for many years (still have a '99 M3 that is a track car on its way to becoming a club racer) and now other members of my family are going back to the fold - my parents with their 750i and my brother getting the M5 after 2 AMG C-classes. So for me, I'm trying to avoid the all BMWs on my driveway when they visit syndrome like before! :-) I must say BMW builds great drivers' cars and the glitches with the E65/66 7-series have mostly been worked out, and they drive VERY well for such a big saloon.

The short list for me really are the S8, E63 and S550 and I'll have to drive them all when they're all available before deciding.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:44 AM

I had a huge thread on mbworld.com about this. I have a S500 coming off lease in September. I went with the S8. My s500 is flat out boring to drive, the BMW does nothing for me, and the S8 has everything I could want (except ventilated seats...someone should be fired for this).

Plus, I live on the North Shore of Long Island...MB's and BMW's are everywhere, and the S8 will be unique.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:11 AM

I too live on Long Island and the MB's & BMW's are all over the place...I love the "look" of the new S550, still can't see myself driving or going for the 750i and was leaning toward the S8 until I got a 5 year contract from the gov't. recently. I find myself hauling boxes and parts all the time in the trunk and back seat of my A8, so I've come up with the idea of test driving a Range Rover HSE Supercharged as my daily driver. I know it's probably a crazy idea but, I falling for the vehicle with no reliability what so ever.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I really wished i had known about the S8 when I was buying the A8, but looking at gas prices in canada, its already starting to get on my nervers, imagine what a lambo engine will drink.

Already seeing many chinese people in their merc in vancouver. I agree, outside its pretty nice, it does have weird angles especially the rear end. Also the interior is just, if u dont mind-bloody hideous. total rip off from 7, seats are so so for my 6foot 4 frame, i dont quite like it. And its a mercedes. Wont be caught dead ever driving one. Its glory days are over.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default As a person of Chinese descent, your comment about the Chinese in Vancouver raised my eyebrow

Even more so, since I'm from Toronto and now living in the U.S.

What's that all about?
Old 06-01-2006, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roy, do you think that he will respond? Mentioning someones ethnicity

is totally unnecessary and in this case, insensitive!
Old 06-01-2006, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Uhhh Chronic...aren't RR's all over LI too? They certainly are in Manhattan!!

But there is a certain sense of practicality with the Ranger for sure, and the supercharged motor helps overcomes some of the weight issue.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Not sure, but I give EVERYONE the benefit of the doubt and the chance to clarify their statements

But I agree, in today's multicultural society, to single out a particular ethnicity on public forums such as this is unnecessary and inflammatory.

But I hope 06A8 does reply and clarify his/her intentions.

Quick Reply: A8vsS550vs750