A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AAC retrofit and Instrument cluster swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default AAC retrofit and Instrument cluster swap

Just started yesterday retrofitting adaptive cruise to my W12 2006MY.

Made a wiring harness with +, - and can H+L, so 4 cables total, and connected them to pin 12,1,2,4 respectively in the radarsensor, and in the DRIVER SIDE CAN harness, - in the left-a pillar lower groundpoint and + in driverside fuse nr.17 as specified.

After i connected the Radarsensor, the CAN gateway said there is a short to ground in the canbus, and i noticed that the radarsensor warms up a bit, like +35degrees celcius when the ignition is on, so the unit definetly receives power.

I conclude that the radarsensor is damaged from this, and that i can't get no diagnistics for it, am I right?

The second problem is the instrument cluster, bought it ALSO used, and after connecting it, the CAN gateway puts a faultcode that it, AND also other control units cant find the cluster. The only thing lighting up on the cluster is the PARKING BRAKE, NO NOTHING ELSE, not even a red screen on the multidisplay indicating COMPONENT PROTECTION.

The cluster is apparently from a burned car, because it has smoke damage on it, and the lower right corner of the multidisplay has a 1x1mm white dot, so i suppose even this is bad?

I bought the radarsensor from a private person via EBAY.de and the cluster from a german compay also via ebay.

Luckily i didnt pay more than 120euros for the radar and 200euros for the cluster, and the ebay statement said they should be used WORKING condition parts, unless elsewise noted in the auction, and no else was noted.

Here are links to the stuff i bought

http://www.ebay.de/itm/150821506002?...84.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.de/itm/130772567333?...84.m1497.l2649

One thing to notice about the cluster, is that the one in the link picture doesn't look as bad as the one i received, so i suspect they swapped the part...

Thankful for ideas, what else could be wrong than damaged components...
Old 11-21-2012, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you add the different stalk for controlling the ACC? Also you need a different CAN gateway if you are going to run ACC. You must have a CAN gateway with the extended CAN bus. If you do not have the right gateway, you will get errors. I believe the radar sensor has a heater in it as well, so it should get warm.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, i installed a gateway ending with an F, instead of the B ending, and coded it also using long coding, and via the gateway list.

The radarsensor has a heater indeed, but i just wonder if it's broken, when the VAS AUDI Dealer tester says that there is a short circuit to the ground in the CAN line, after connecting the AAC radarsensor.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Could your CAN high and low be swapped? Might be worth swapping them to see.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

At least according to the wiring schematics they aren't swapped, but i'll definetly try that one out, as it doesn't atleast break anything.

the schematics said canH is connector nr2 and L nr.4 in the AAC unit, and pins 13 and 26 in the can harness connector, tough i could only find pins 13-23 in the harness connector, labeled 13L-23L and 13H-23H

Last edited by volvopentaman; 11-22-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here is the pinout I found, so maybe you do have a line connected to ground.

Connection is very simple:
Pin8 - Power
Pin7 - Sensor heater ???
Pin6 - N.C.
Pin5 - N.C.
Pin4 - N.C.
Pin3 - Can Bus Low - to Gateway - pin 13
Pin2 - Can Bus High - to Gateway - pin 12
Pin1 - GND
Old 11-22-2012, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Some more info from another forum

If you car didnt have the ACC from build then it is very likely that there will be no connector in the loom to connect into.

As the unit only uses 4 wires it is far eaiser to make up your own loom and feed the wires yourself.

The hardest part will be getting them in through the bulk head, PITA of job!

Then connect GND to the GND post.

Connect +12v to the correct fuse point inside the fuse box, this is also a PITA as you will need to disconnect the battery, remove the fuse box, disassemble the fuse box and insert the wire with correct terminal on the end into the fuse box and reassemble

As the ACC is the only unit to use the E-can network, unless the connector is in your A-pilar you will need to connect them directly into the correct pins on the gateway itself.

As there is nothing using these pins at present, they will be empty.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, BIG THANX for the info!

I'm in prague atm, and the car is in finland, but i'll check it out asap.

I did the connections according to this picture from the audiforums.us AAC retrofit thread

http://imageshack.us/f/217/accwiringxv4.jpg/

Yes, one fault is that i didn't understand that it needs to be connected to the extended can network, and NOT TO THE REGULAR as i thought.

But it's weird that the pic with the wiring schematics says something entirely different than your info about the pinout.

What stuff uses ECAN btw, AAC and rearviewcam if i understand right, anything else?
Old 11-23-2012, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

From what I read, ACC, lane assist and side assist use the extended CAN. The RVC does not use the extended CAN.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanx for the info again.

Anybody knowing, is the ACC in the 4E with a stop/go function, i mean that it brakes to 0 speed, and starts automatically when the car in front moves?

At least my friend's A8 2005 4,0TDI doesn't do that, it only brakes down to about 30km/h, and below that nothing...

At least the 2007 touareg has stop/go with ACC...

Quick Reply: AAC retrofit and Instrument cluster swap