AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/)
-   -   about to take the plunge (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/about-take-plunge-2860894/)

scottybooj 02-04-2014 03:58 AM

about to take the plunge

I've wanted a D3 for some time and my bmw goes back in 2 months, so ive been searching for a 2006-10 and found two different options and would love feedback.

Brief bio on me: Have 3 kids...love love love my 3 series but want/need more room. Looking for a sharp, yet spirited way to do my daily 10 minute commute, and being in NY, all-wheel is pretty much a necessity. Lol. My other ride is my '03 Bmw R1150R, boxer powered, motorrad.

Option 1) A8 blk on blk. Not overly optioned but sharp. About 70k on the clock and asking $22k. Recent trade in..serviced there. 900 mi from home.

Option 2) A8L oyster/amaretto. Well optioned including bang & olufsen. 55k on the clock. Trade in at dealer..some service provided by that dealer over the past 2 yrs. Asking $23k. Only 70mi from home.

The black is sharp and I really like the standard wheelbase., but the lower miles on the other seems real enticing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Scott
L.I., NY

Mister Bally 02-04-2014 04:53 AM

Get the long one. You said you want more room. Shorties are pretty cramped in back. The car is narrow.

1Wasserwerks 02-04-2014 05:08 AM

A8L sounds better. You'll appreciate the b/o sound system. There seems to be alot more coming to market lately. I found my S8 on autotrader.com after finally knowing what I wanted. There are several options to consider before diving right in. The car with the color/options showed up on autotrader, I took delivery 6 days later.
Good luck with your search!

greginfinity 02-04-2014 05:12 AM

What year? 2006 vs 2007+ makes a difference in what to look for.. ie timing belt!

1Wasserwerks 02-04-2014 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by scottybooj (Post 24537175)

Option 2) A8L oyster/amaretto. Well optioned including bang & olufsen. 55k on the clock. Trade in at dealer..some service provided by that dealer over the past 2 yrs. Asking $23k. Only 70mi from home.

Is this the one at Palisades? I saw it on autotrader, looks nice!

gaspasser19 02-04-2014 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Bally (Post 24537184)
Get the long one. You said you want more room. Shorties are pretty cramped in back. The car is narrow.

Someone coming from a 3 series will not find a D3 SWB backseat to be cramped.

pmdeaver 02-04-2014 08:26 AM

What are the year models of these two vehicles? I can get you up to the minute wholesale/auction pricing if you can give me more details...

scottybooj 02-04-2014 10:02 AM

Thanks everyone. .. both are 2006 models.

Yes, its the one at Palisades.

Scott
L.I., NY

scottybooj 02-04-2014 10:03 AM

Correction, both are 2007 models. Dang fat thumbs

Scott
L.I., NY

pmdeaver 02-04-2014 11:31 AM

Definitely go with the A8L. On the money.

ltooz_a6_a8_q7 02-04-2014 12:23 PM

We thought the A8L wasn't going to fit the garage, we only have to little kids and little grandma, but we really happy that we got the A8L although A8 could've been fine. The kids do love the room.

Cheers,

Louis

scottybooj 02-04-2014 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by greginfinity (Post 24537191)
What year? 2006 vs 2007+ makes a difference in what to look for.. ie timing belt!

I was told timing belt is at 105k, is this true?

Also, how can we get the build sheet using a vin? I would like to validate some options. This car has 5 spoke wheels with large spokes...an audi wheel, just dont know if it's what came with the car.

Scott
L.I., NY

scottybooj 02-04-2014 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by pmdeaver (Post 24537298)
Definitely go with the A8L. On the money.

Thanks!

Scott
L.I., NY

MP4.2+6.0 02-04-2014 04:59 PM

That was the "old" spec

Audi moved it down to 75K miles, including for vehicles long since sold. Presumably they had reasons to do so.

scottybooj 02-04-2014 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0 (Post 24537404)
Audi moved it down to 75K miles, including for vehicles long since sold. Presumably they had reasons to do so.

Any idea on total cost for this? Is it a service that requires a dealer or can an independent mech perform this?

Thanks

BASARAB 02-04-2014 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by scottybooj (Post 24537438)
Any idea on total cost for this? Is it a service that requires a dealer or can an independent mech perform this?

Thanks

roughly 1-1.3k at indy place

mishar 02-04-2014 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by scottybooj (Post 24537438)

Thanks

Looking at 2007 you should not be concerned about timing belt. They and younger ones have timing chains.

Galco 02-04-2014 10:20 PM

Go with A8L

Originally Posted by scottybooj (Post 24537266)
Correction, both are 2007 models. Dang fat thumbs

Scott
L.I., NY

The extra room is very nice and the car handles very well. It's not a 3 series but drives much smaller than it is. I too have 3 kids, they are all grown now, but the extra room came in handy. Forget about long drives in this car with one kid sitting on the center rear, its just not comfortable. But for short runs, no problem and mom and dad are stylin'

BTW, love that color combo, as that is what i have. Oyster grey is rather different and IMO, the best match to the outstanding amaretto interior. I get lots of complements on mine.

Keep us posted, good luck.

scottybooj 02-05-2014 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Galco (Post 24537483)

The extra room is very nice and the car handles very well. It's not a 3 series but drives much smaller than it is. I too have 3 kids, they are all grown now, but the extra room came in handy. Forget about long drives in this car with one kid sitting on the center rear, its just not comfortable. But for short runs, no problem and mom and dad are stylin'

BTW, love that color combo, as that is what i have. Oyster grey is rather different and IMO, the best match to the outstanding amaretto interior. I get lots of complements on mine.

Keep us posted, good luck.

Thanks, will do!

Scott
L.I., NY

NYCA8L 02-05-2014 07:13 AM

i would personally go with option #2 the options are better and it a long which is amazing space in the back seat . who ever sits in the back always is speechless. Another reason is the option #2 is better cause the Black exterior is a pain keeping clean. the oyster is a great color combo. i have 110k on mine and just did the timing belt due to my water pump started to leak.

Ruben
Queens NY

MP4.2+6.0 02-05-2014 07:23 AM

Any Audi/VW experienced indy hold be able to do...

Cost varies depending on whether you just do belt only, or preemptively do water pump, thermostat, coolant, rollers, tensioner and serp. belt. Parts costs vary too depending on whether you go dealer, OE equivalent/name brands, or unknown "cheap" package of the week. Many of us do either all of the dealer only parts, or a mix of the first two where the name brands are easy to find. Several have been burned on the initial "cheap" approach, and faux "German" or Euro sounding brand names may really be offshore junk of dubious origin if you don't know who's who among the OES's. Figure a guestimate $500-1500 as a broad range if you have it done, depending on indy vs. dealer, how many parts and related incremental labor, etc.

As noted, your target spec of 2006 and later picks up the 2006's as the last year w/ a timing belt in the 4.2's. By 2007 you get FSI w/ no more belt, a bit more power, to be balanced some occasional complaints about FSI fouling, and a rear back up camera. At 2008 you get the last major updates before the D4.

scottybooj 02-05-2014 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0 (Post 24537569)
Cost varies depending on whether you just do belt only, or preemptively do water pump, thermostat, coolant, rollers, tensioner and serp. belt. Parts costs vary too depending on whether you go dealer, OE equivalent/name brands, or unknown "cheap" package of the week. Many of us do either all of the dealer only parts, or a mix of the first two where the name brands are easy to find. Several have been burned on the initial "cheap" approach, and faux "German" or Euro sounding brand names may really be offshore junk of dubious origin if you don't know who's who among the OES's. Figure a guestimate $500-1500 as a broad range if you have it done, depending on indy vs. dealer, how many parts and related incremental labor, etc.

As noted, your target spec of 2006 and later picks up the 2006's as the last year w/ a timing belt in the 4.2's. By 2007 you get FSI w/ no more belt, a bit more power, to be balanced some occasional complaints about FSI fouling, and a rear back up camera. At 2008 you get the last major updates before the D4.

So, to be clear, this 2007 I'm looking at had a timing chain which is not an issue?

Thanks again to everyone. I'm psyched to get this in my garage already.

greginfinity 02-05-2014 08:44 AM

Correct, 2007+ model years in the USA use timing chains. The only gotcha with the chain is that it might stretch (not sure how chains stretch), or more likely the tensioners wear down or break causing the chain issues.

HOWEVER, I am not sure there is a single case of this on the D3 (search)? On other Audis with similar engines it does happen I believe.

MP4.2+6.0 02-05-2014 09:53 AM

2007and newer are chains only, in every D3 motor sold in N.A.

Before 2007, it's a belt in the 4.2, but always chain(s) in W12 that went back to 2005 in USA.

RocketSurgeon 02-05-2014 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by greginfinity (Post 24537601)
Correct, 2007+ model years in the USA use timing chains. The only gotcha with the chain is that it might stretch (not sure how chains stretch), or more likely the tensioners wear down or break causing the chain issues.

HOWEVER, I am not sure there is a single case of this on the D3 (search)? On other Audis with similar engines it does happen I believe.

Lots of people with the S4 or A6 4.2 complain of chain issues, but those cars are much more prone to being driven hard. Perhaps that accounts for the difference. Those cars are also more common. It's just worrying that a timing chain overhaul is an engine out service $$$.

Vasco Spassov 02-05-2014 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by greginfinity (Post 24537601)

Yes, chains do stretch! I found out when I bought a motorcycle, and after awhile had to re-tension the big-big (in comparison to a car engine's one) chain!
Maybe someone can tell us how exactly it happens!