A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC / Heater Blower Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC / Heater Blower Question

Hi Folks,

I have an '04 D3 w/ 193k miles. A few months ago, the blower motor started to slow down on it's own after being on for a while, without changing the fan speed setting... a few minutes later it would be completely off... then rinse and repeat on the next drive.

Based on research I did here a while ago (thanks everyone for the wealth of information that are these forums!) I realize most likely it one of two parts: the blower motor itself or another related part.

My question is: what is a reasonable dollar amount I can expect to be charged for parts & labor to get this fixed in a mom and pops mechanic shop in Michigan, Detroit Metro Area (the mechanic is Audi certified)?

Roughly...

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2017, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like the blower motor, mine was behaving the exact same way before it quit altogether. I had tried replacing the resistor pack - with no change. You can take the blower motor out and try cleaning the carbon off the brushes, but I would say just replace it after that many miles. You can buy the blower motor for maybe $250-$300 and I would estimate about an hour to replace.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 91quattro
Sounds like the blower motor, mine was behaving the exact same way before it quit altogether. I had tried replacing the resistor pack - with no change. You can take the blower motor out and try cleaning the carbon off the brushes, but I would say just replace it after that many miles. You can buy the blower motor for maybe $250-$300 and I would estimate about an hour to replace.
Thank you!
Old 04-21-2017, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Just pick up the blower motor new, it was $207.00 new at Princeton Audi for me.
See my picture of replacement starting at post #15 in the link.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...ement-2847341/

Old 04-21-2017, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT
Just pick up the blower motor new, it was $207.00 new at Princeton Audi for me.
See my picture of replacement starting at post #15 in the link.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...ement-2847341/

Thank you! Best price I can find online for a new OEM motor is ~$250 on eBay. There is a used one on eBay for $125 OBO... out an offer in and we'll see.

I am no mechanic, but your pictures got me thinking maybe I should give it a go. Read in another thread the wiper arm can be tricky to take off.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

It's a tight fit but definitely a DIY type of repair.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 91quattro
It's a tight fit but definitely a DIY type of repair.
+1
Old 04-22-2017, 11:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Having the proper service manual is basically mandatory for this vehicle if you are going to attempt service.

One false move with that wiper assembly and you can break five or ten fingers, a wrist or worse. Maybe even tear fingers right off.

Don't trust youtube video "procedures"

Last edited by Mister Bally; 04-23-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Good indy

Originally Posted by SamanM
Hi Folks,

I have an '04 D3 w/ 193k miles. A few months ago, the blower motor started to slow down on it's own after being on for a while, without changing the fan speed setting... a few minutes later it would be completely off... then rinse and repeat on the next drive.

Based on research I did here a while ago (thanks everyone for the wealth of information that are these forums!) I realize most likely it one of two parts: the blower motor itself or another related part.

My question is: what is a reasonable dollar amount I can expect to be charged for parts & labor to get this fixed in a mom and pops mechanic shop in Michigan, Detroit Metro Area (the mechanic is Audi certified)?

Roughly...

Thanks!
go to Waterford European in waterford, Mi. Been taking both my a8s to him for years. He's honest and decent prices.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Having the proper service manual is basically mandatory for this vehicle if you are going to attempt service.

One false move with that wiper assembly and you can break five or ten fingers, a wrist or worse. Maybe even tear fingers right off.

Don't trust youtube video "procedures"
Bought a used blower motor on eBay for $120.

So I gave it a go... and as much as I would like to pretend the wiper assembly was where I had issues, the truth is that I didn't even get that far: taking off half of the star screws bellow the cabin air filter took so much effort (granted I don't have the proper tool), I just put everything back and decided to pay for the labor.

Talk about a "tight fit"...

Anyhow I appreciate all the guidance. It's going to be $200 with a 6 months warranty... seems reasonable enough.

Quick Reply: AC / Heater Blower Question