A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC recharge quote from Audi and VW dealers. Is VW service equivalent?

Old 08-02-2017, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC recharge quote from Audi and VW dealers. Is VW service equivalent?

I called around to get quotes for an AC recharge for my 2008 W12.

With each call I emphasized this was for a 2008 A8L-W12.
- The Arden Audi dealership quoted $230.
- The Elk Grove Audi dealership quoted $250.
- The Rocklin Audi dealership was too busy to provide a quote.
- The Davis Audi indy shop quoted $169.
- The downtown Sacramento VW dealership quoted $140. I had them double check and they assured me they could service a 2008 W12.

Cost is not the issue rather the VW dealer is by far the most convenient place for me to go to being a few blocks from where I work. The others would all require a shuttle or arrangements for a ride.

Audi is the luxury brand of VW and the Phaeton and D3 platforms have similarities including the W12 engine though I'm not implying that VW techs are D3 experts.

Any thoughts on whether a VW service center would NOT be able to offer an equivalent or at least competent level of service for an AC recharge for a D3?
Old 08-02-2017, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

In luck I think on this one. For AC, there is no difference I know of from 4.2 to W12. There are some differences on the heating circuit side, and the extra in line tranny related thermostat, but doesn't affect AC side. Theory of fan operation tying to AC all the same too.

Pretty much the thing people tend to miss on modern Audis is they don't have a conventional on-off compressor clutch, but VW's probably use similar compressors now. Not some German/Euro thing BTW; sourcing are often Japanese suppliers IIRC. The refrigerant is all the same too and the ports standardized and pretty easy to locate.

Basically they just need to evacuate, then add the calculated weight amount. There may be a sticker under the hood even for that. It is something like 630g IIRC.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They will all use professional machines, and as long as they look up how much gas your system requires, the level of service should be comparable. Use the 'easy' button this time and hit up VW. My bet, they tech's will enjoy working on something new and you'll enjoy paying less.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
In luck I think on this one.
Basically they just need to evacuate, then add the calculated weight amount. There may be a sticker under the hood even for that. It is something like 630g IIRC.
Again, thanks for your input.

And yes, there is indeed an the AC specs sticker under the hood. I noticed it when I was looking for the yellow/coil campaign sticker you mentioned in my ECU2 thread.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Doc_A8
They will all use professional machines, and as long as they look up how much gas your system requires, the level of service should be comparable. Use the 'easy' button this time and hit up VW. My bet, they tech's will enjoy working on something new and you'll enjoy paying less.
I think you might win this bet!
Old 08-02-2017, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I say it's going to be the tech who works on the vehicle rather than the dealership. The D3 is so rare that most Audi techs don't work on them enough to be that much more proficient. I would not hesitate to take it to the VW dealer unless they have a bad reputation. I have always servied my AC at out shops. All you do is evacuate the system and recharge it with the proper level of refrigerant.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TSHong
I say it's going to be the tech who works on the vehicle rather than the dealership. The D3 is so rare that most Audi techs don't work on them enough to be that much more proficient. I would not hesitate to take it to the VW dealer unless they have a bad reputation. I have always servied my AC at out shops. All you do is evacuate the system and recharge it with the proper level of refrigerant.
not only are they not proficient I don't believe they want to work on the old D3s. I've called Audi of Raleigh twice asking about a timing belt service and no one will call me back with an estimate.