A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket air compressor

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 01:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

May I also add. I noticed on mine that there was a little mark on the inside of the mounting bracket where the edge of the compressor had been knocking on the frame and that's how I could tell this was what was making the noise. I added/stuck a little piece of rubber where that spot was on the inside of the frame just incase the new springs and rubber wore out.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received the kit a few days ago and started to go to remove the compressor however, I’m having trouble identifying it on the car. I pulled the drivers side wheel and liner and the layout is different than the v8 A8s I see online. I’ve looked through YT vids, this site and arnott’s but can’t seem to find a diagram or pic that shows its location. The dealer gave me the PN 4E0616007E and I can view it on Audi’s part site. Can Anyone pint me in the right direction ?
Old 07-09-2018, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Mine is on the left hand side (RH drive car) immediately as you pull the wheel liner i see it in the bracket. If you can't see it then look up the left hand side of the inner wheel well you can see the airline. just follow it to the compressor. It is tricky to get out and you will need a T45 Torx if i remember correctly and a 10mm spanner to undo the airline. It will also be 10mm spanner to remove the compressor from the cage when you get it out. Some do it without taking off the bumper cover but I had to take mine off to get to the nut under the headlight. Some people say they can get to it from underneath but my 4.2 diesel has other stuff in the way. If you still can't find it just put the wheel back on without the liner start it up and get someone to sit in it and you will hear it and see it.

Look at my avator pic. If the wheel was a clock. Mine is on the otherside of the car at 3 o'clock
Old 07-09-2018, 05:59 AM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remove the driver's front wheel well liner (left hand drive, 4.2 V8 gas) and there it is. 2 of the 3 attachment bolts are visible in the pic.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Mine is on top of that location and harder to get at next to the airbox
Old 07-09-2018, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Relative to last several replies and compressor location, I think the S8, W12 and V8 TDI are in the higher up location being mentioned. My W12 is. The twin air pumps are what end up in the bottom space. The low position for others is the 4.2 port. Not sure for 4.2FSI--accessory gear drive may have changed things up.

They all do end up in the forward front fender area, where step one is pretty much pull the fender liner. In the higher position like mine, it may help variously to clear the airbox (for the dual box motors) and maybe to remove the foglight grill as one more place to reach in.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Relative to last several replies and compressor location, I think the S8, W12 and V8 TDI are in the higher up location being mentioned. My W12 is. The twin air pumps are what end up in the bottom space. The low position for others is the 4.2 port. Not sure for 4.2FSI--accessory gear drive may have changed things up.

They all do end up in the forward front fender area, where step one is pretty much pull the fender liner. In the higher position like mine, it may help variously to clear the airbox (for the dual box motors) and maybe to remove the foglight grill as one more place to reach in.
4.2 FSI is also in the lower position
Old 08-16-2018, 02:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: I was finally able to get back to it last week - been traveling a lot for work. But, I ran across a video on YT of a 2012 A8 and it is located in the upper position. I pulled the bumper and headlight to gain access to the compressor. I applied the compressor kit and changed the relay, checked the fuse and reinstalled it all. Fired it up and got nothing - the car never raised and i didn't hear the pump operating. My guess is that the compressor is fried? Unfortunately, i didn't check that while i had it out the car - shame on me.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

VCDS would tell you if the main 40Amp fuse is blown. A PITA to access. But likely bad as a compressor with a magnet that separated from the motor shell will cause a fuse to blow in short order.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Actually, on my blown fuse, it did not show in VCDS as a/any code.

For preceding poster, did you check the fuse with an ohmmeter, or only visually? Again, BTDT, I applied power to my compressor, so knew it worked. Yet it didn't run and I had checked fuse...so I thought... It turns out with the overengineered OE German fuse, it is actually really hard to see if it is broken, or at least on mine. Ohmmeter told me it was open, and only then did I look yet again--in direct sunlight--and could barely make out a crack. Maybe 1/100 of an inch type stuff, and off to the side.

Quick Reply: aftermarket air compressor