A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket subwoofer question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket subwoofer question

Hey guys, does anyone know if it's possible to install an aftermarket 10in sub into the space that the Bose sub sits in? And an amp. I don't know much about car stereos and MOST wiring.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Not sure the size of the stock sub. I'm not sure if some of the new infinite baffle subs sound good or not. I'm just going to add a 12 sub, amp, and bass know over from my D2. Adding a sub makes the whole sound system sound so much better.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

One word of advice I've heard about the whole Bose system is to just not mess with it. It's fine tuned to work in harmony and once you start messing with various components it just craps itself and loses harmony. I've had a 10" alpine sub sitting here for the longest time and I thought about replacing the stock sub but too many people told me to just leave it alone.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jan_PL_S6
One word of advice I've heard about the whole Bose system is to just not mess with it. It's fine tuned to work in harmony and once you start messing with various components it just craps itself and loses harmony. I've had a 10" alpine sub sitting here for the longest time and I thought about replacing the stock sub but too many people told me to just leave it alone.
that goes for everything in the car lol. i wonder if the speakers use MOST wires. alot of of guys are swapping subs for A6s and a4s. i wonder if the A8s are more complex.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...rket+subwoofer
Old 08-27-2012, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by seriy_m5
Hey guys, does anyone know if it's possible to install an aftermarket 10in sub into the space that the Bose sub sits in? And an amp. I don't know much about car stereos and MOST wiring.
OEM subwoofer is very shallow and it uses trunk space as a box volume. Regular subwoofer requires a certain volume box in order to work properly.

By the way, when I see few A8's with upgraded subwoofers I am going to sell mine for any money I can get. That will be the final disgrace for once luxurious car.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Just curious...

Originally Posted by seriy_m5
that goes for everything in the car lol. i wonder if the speakers use MOST wires. alot of of guys are swapping subs for A6s and a4s. i wonder if the A8s are more complex.
You say "I don't know much about car stereos" but you evidently find the A8 BOSE system lacking bass and want to alter the system with a larger more powerful sub woofer than is stock. I don't know much about car stereos either but I find the D3 A8 BOSE system to be the most phenominal (when used in the CD and iPod modes that enable the SURROUND feature) car stero I have ever listened to. My criterea being fabulous sound at sane volumes. Almost as good as wearing headphones.

And maybe its my lack of sophistication, but I find that I can only set the bass setting at one or two clicks past the 50% point or else there is way too much bass.

Last edited by awdinut; 09-03-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

When I got the car I thought the stereo's only shortcoming was lack of dynamic range in the high bass - no impact despite the high volumes it could attain. A lot of the sources nowadays are too compressed it seems to me. Or maybe I am going deaf.

Now that I'm used to the A8's sound system, when I drive my Passat its stereo is totally insufficient. Maybe you could get a friend to loan you their car to make you appreciate the Bose in your A8.

I'd think the safest way out, Seri, is to add a removable trunk box with speaker-level inputs (unless you've found line inputs somewhere you could use). You could even open the ski sack for an instant subwoofer boost. (Hmmm, I wonder how this affects the sound in these cars)?

Awdinut, as you probably know, there are bass frequencies one feels as opposed to hears, I suspect a level of this subsonic bass you or I would find strange is what Seri is after. Sound is a pretty subjective subject, and I know you are uber-helpful on the D3 board and could probably help here (despite your professed "lack of sophistication") although I do find it noble your trying to save his car from being "pimped out"!

That brought back a funny memory: I used to work at a car stereo shop where - daily - drug dealers paid for their $10k+ systems with rolls of sweat-soaked $5s, $10s and 20s carried in their MC Hammer pants; the other guys laughed at me because I'd actually put on rubber gloves to count it (this was before every mechanic wore gloves so I had to bring them in from my other job as an EMT). Ahhh, good times.
-Tom
Old 09-02-2012, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure about BOSE, but it should be possible to install aftermarket subs without a problem. I've got B&O sound system, which is absolutely perfect but since I'm quite young as well, I like more bass than the OEM system allows. I've got 2x Alpine 12" subwoofers installed in the trunk with the cooler in the middle. Removed original subwoofer in the back. Bass levels can be controlled from MMI easily and it doesn't ruin the B&O sound quality as bass is just louder. Got enough space left in the trunk for shopping and got a Q7 for transporting big items. Most of the time I don't drive around speakers maxed out. Even sound quality freaks have told me that the extra bass hasn't ruined anything and you can always change the levels.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Audi spent millions on acoustic research tuning and speccing the sound system, along with the acoustic performance of the cabin, matching components and tuning their resonances etc.

In my experience the the substitution of a carefully matched component in a system with some random unmatched off the shelf part very rarely results in success.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket subwoofer question