A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket subwoofer question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Guys from B&O who are selling that thing for 6K + Bose must laugh hearing that.

I always wonder how many deaf people I can see around here. They must be bass lowers.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:41 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I changed my bass level in Bose system by using Ross-Tech to change interior from leather to cloth, it's not a huge difference but it's there.

search here or Ross-tech wiki for radio settings
Old 09-02-2012, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Bose system sucks in all Audi cars including A8. Adding a subwoofer does not really mean you are going to drive around ghetto style with loud music. Adding a subwoofer in A8 makes a big difference in sound quality even when playing music on the low volume.
I do however understand why older folks do not understand that.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ A6Q
I changed my bass level in Bose system by using Ross-Tech...
Did you use the petrol or diesel setting? I'm wondering if diesel might have a bit more thump to get over the additional engine noise?

Channel 47 Ross-Tech Definitions
00000XX Always set
XXXXX0X No definition - assume No Microphone for AudioPilot
XXXXX1X Microphone for Audio Pilot/Voice Control
XXXXXX1 Right-Hand-Drive with Fabric Trim and Diesel Engine
XXXXXX2 Left-Hand-Drive with Leather Trim and Diesel Engine
XXXXXX3 Right-Hand-Drive with Leather Trim and Diesel Engine
XXXXXX4 Left-Hand-Drive with Fabric Trim and Petrol Engine
XXXXXX5 Right-Hand-Drive with Fabric Trim and Petrol Engine
XXXXXX6 Left-Hand-Drive with Leather Trim and Petrol Engine
XXXXXX7 Right-Hand-Drive with Leather Trim and Petrol Engine
XXXXXX8 Left-Hand-Drive with Fabric Trim and Diesel Engine (Standard)

Last edited by FlyTyinFool; 09-02-2012 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Mispelling
Old 09-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default WTF ????

Originally Posted by BASARAB
Bose system sucks in all Audi cars including A8.
Really, I guess we all just drive POS with **** stereos then, my system is kick *** in my W12, WHAT ARE YOU DRIVING ???
Maybe you should learn the settings, because there is no way in hell that the stock Bose system in a 2004-07 A8L sucks in any way as a stock unit, pull your head out of your tight *** and you will hear all the highs and feel the lows....
Old 09-02-2012, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree that the Bose does not suck but it's definitely lacking. Bose equalization is not an accurate reproduction of music. Bose rolls off the low and high end and accentuates mid bass and mid highs. I know in my D2, I could turn of the Bose equalization, and it made a huge difference. I guess I had it in my mind that I could not turn off the Bose equalization on a MMI but I guess I need to do some searching.

I am adding a sub to my D3 not because I want to win a bass contest but to have accurate music. Also since I can turn down the bass of the all the other drivers, they can sound better because they don't have to reproduce such a dynamic range. I've employed this strategy of adding a sub and keeping the stock for mids and highs have worked out great for my last three cars, all of which had Bose factory systems.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ A6Q
Really, I guess we all just drive POS with **** stereos then, my system is kick *** in my W12, WHAT ARE YOU DRIVING ???
Maybe you should learn the settings, because there is no way in hell that the stock Bose system in a 2004-07 A8L sucks in any way as a stock unit, pull your head out of your tight *** and you will hear all the highs and feel the lows....
why the **** do you have to be an ***? Did I insult you? I repeat myself, stock Bose suck in A8, yes, its better than in Dodge Stratus for example, but its near as good as a set of decent aftermarket speakers and subwoofer powered by a good amplifier. Go sit in a car (can be any POS, like you said) which has proper aftermarket set up and you will see what I am talking about. And yeah, OMG, I ****ING DRIVE A W12, MY STOCK BLOSE IS AS ****ING GOOD AS MY ENGINE AND WHOEVER HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION I'LL CALL HIM A DIP****
Old 09-03-2012, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default In my personal experience it seems...

Originally Posted by BASARAB
why the **** do you have to be an ***? Did I insult you? I repeat myself, stock Bose suck in A8, yes, its better than in Dodge Stratus for example, but its near as good as a set of decent aftermarket speakers and subwoofer powered by a good amplifier. Go sit in a car (can be any POS, like you said) which has proper aftermarket set up and you will see what I am talking about. And yeah, OMG, I ****ING DRIVE A W12, MY STOCK BLOSE IS AS ****ING GOOD AS MY ENGINE AND WHOEVER HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION I'LL CALL HIM A DIP****
that the aftermarket set-ups you refer to ONLY sound good at higher volumes? I have never listened to an aftermarket that can even approach the richness of a good stock system at the moderate to lower volumes which I prefer. And the D3 BOSE and B&O systems are the best stock systems I have ever listened to. The aftermarket systems will certainly stay more clear and sound better at high volumes, but that would seem to be their singular advantage. Would you agree?
Old 09-03-2012, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TSHong
I am adding a sub to my D3 not because I want to win a bass contest but to have accurate music.
Good reason for upgrade, but ... What is accurate music? Are you listening classical music and can't clearly distinct fagot and tuba, or timpani are somehow covering contrabass? Can't distinct Stradivarius from a $100 violin? Or something on that line. If that is the case B&O would be the least to do the trick. May be some sophisticated upgrade there too.

But all electronically created and enhanced music can't be accurate because there is no original to be compared to. What can be inaccurate is ones hearing. That's how it starts. Ends with lips reading.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

I know a thing or two about high end hifi and also car audio. In my humble opinion the stock Bose system is a very high quality and smooth sounding set-up that really shines in bringing out the detail in whatever music you're listening too.

Regarding the bass, I actually think the bass level is too high in factory settings and needs to be reduced a little to prevent it from drowning out other more subtle frequency ranges.

To qualify what sort of music I like, my preference is for rock/metal, but I enjoy hip-hop and house when the mood takes me and know what it should sound like when played on a high end audio system. The Audi Bose system does a good job of faithfully reproducing the sound that the record producers wanted you to hear which is what a good audio system is all about. Oh and I'm in my early 30's so not what I'd classify as an "old" bass averse geezer either.

How it compares to typical aftermarket systems which are often all about getting your kicks from trunk lid rattling bass (been there done that), it's very different. And depending on what you're used to the Audi system may sound a little weak, but that's actually how the music is supposed to sound.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket subwoofer question