A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lumbar/massage enhancement

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default lumbar/massage enhancement

I bought my 04 used a year ago and have never found the amount of lumbar support adequate. I have always wondered if there might be a way to improve matters.

At present time I have removed the bck trim pannels on my seatss in preparation for the installation of tray tables, so while the lumbar/massage mechanisims are exposed, I looked into enhancement.

I found a simple way to make the lumbar more pronounced and it does not interfere with the movement of the massage function. In fact, the effectiveness of the massage is improved greatly. What I did was to put a rectangular piece of dense 3/8" foam about 6X8" between the rollers and the surface they roll across. Its the kind of foam they sell at a Michael's hobby store.

To insert the foam, first move the lumbar to its most minimal position. That will create a bit of space btween the rollers and the seat. Be sure to run the lumbar through its full up and down range so that you see where to place the foam so that the rollers are always on the foam.

I do not know how much memory this type of foam has, so I don't know how long the effect will last. But the stuff is cheap and easily replaced if that ever becomes neccessary.

Last edited by awdinut; 03-27-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by awdinut
I bought my 04 used a year ago and have never found the amount of lumbar support adequate. I have always wondered if there might be a way to improve matters.

At present time I have removed the bck trim pannels on my seatss in preparation for the installation of tray tables, so while the lumbar/massage mechanisims are exposed, I looked into enhancement.

I found a simple way to make the lumbar more pronounced and it does not interfere with the movement of the massage function. In fact, the effectiveness of the massage is improved greatly. What I did was to put a rectangular piece of dense 3/8" foam about 6X8" between the rollers and the surface they roll across. Its the kind of foam they sell at a Michael's hobby store.

To insert the foam, first move the lumbar to its most minimal position. That will create a bit of space btween the rollers and the seat. Be sure to run the lumbar through its full up and down range so that you see where to place the foam so that the rollers are always on the foam.

I do not know how much memory this type of foam has, so I don't know how long the effect will last. But the stuff i cheap and easily replaced if that ever becomes neccessary.

-Good Info - Thank you