A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Suspension Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 08:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Louis,

No I did no calibration at all...sorry you must have mis-read. The car came home LOW with no compressor and a good battery. I will do as you say but have another little problem I THINK I must use scanner for: THE PUMP NEVER CAME WORKING< OTHERWISE IT IS EASY TO FIX

1. I disconnected the battery and it shows low now even after leaving on charger, so I must get the system to identify the new battery.

Anyway, I have to get new control arms, so I have to wait anyway, but I try your method and then go from there.

Note: Audi says in self study - suspension: that controller will lower car to lowest point if it cannot solve the issue, at least that is what I read.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

There's your problem. I NEVER recoded my battery after installing a new one. It's still working well since.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post24944829
Before we assume something drastically, make sure everything needed for the system to work is in place.
The pump needs power - Battery must be in good health. The Audi PMS is very sophisticated, it will sense everything and turn off things to prevent the battery from draining.

Cheers,
Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 10-15-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Louis,

'It may be true as to the "dead Battery", I noticed a pretty slow crank but it still light the convenience lights upon exit and does not have any warnings nor does the MMI show low battery..but I will look at that as well for sure

It would appear the the VCDS guys are missing the two CAN ports above the fuseboxes on each side. As quoted by AUDI - Use is made for the CAN connectors of the test box 1598/38. This test box makes it possible to access the individual drive system and convenience CAN control unit wires with the digital storage oscilloscope of VAS 5051. Individual control units can also be disconnected from the bus system during fault-finding.

In the old days we would say that the control wire from a module needs such and such voltage, but know it is more like a track race with lots of runners posing as modules.

Thanks for the time Louis, by the way I watch all your movies and to me you are a star.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It would appear the "transportation mode" may also be LOWRIDER as well, even if you have a small leak in a strut. as per AUDI:

The deactivation stages result in the following: – Deactivation stage 1 Convenience CAN loads are deactivated. – Deactivation stage 2 Initiation of this stage results in deactivation of additional convenience CAN loads. Certain infotainment system restrictions are implemented. – Deactivation stage 3 Reduction of the closed-circuit current is initiated. – Deactivation stage 4 – Transportation mode This deactivation stage is activated by way of the diagnosis unit and cannot be initiated independently by the energy management control unit. – Deactivation stage 5 The auxiliary heater is deactivated. – Deactivation stage 6 Bus system wake-up action is reduced.

So herein may be a clue for people that lose a compressor, maybe as LOUIS says it is simply going into transportation mode
Old 10-15-2017, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I understand Louis's position about VCDS but sometimes the problem isn't mecanical. My 2005 had a fault code for the supsension control module. I installed an ebay replacement and all was good. But the car was not level due to the used control module having been calibrated to the ride height sensors on the car it was taken out of. I had to perform the leveling procedure with VCDS to get the car sitting level. Also without VCDS I never would have known that the supsension module was defective.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I've never said VCDS is a bad device - it's just the way people are trying to sell the VCDS. You don't need all these adaptations, calibration mumbos, jumbos... If VCDS doesn't have any disclaimer on every procedure they posted, I would believe it. If everything is working, the Audi system will tune the best scenario for your car. Audi engineers did have a great control system embeded, they don't have to answer to people in this forum, they have to answers to engineers of competitors, the board of directors... I've been proving that all the adaptation, recode this, recode that... I replaced more things than people here without using much of VCDS beside as a OBDII reader.
To me it's fine if you can use it for your heart content, more power to you - but recommend a procedure vaguely to someone who doesn't even have a VCDS, let alone has the experience to do something that can break his car... hmm... Let Karma works its magic.

Cheers,
Louis
Old 10-16-2017, 05:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks LOUIS and DUKE,

I am going to wager that I have a bad MODULE as the fuses had continuity and the relay was good and I could fire the compressor. Then the module was not opening the solenoids for the front, so that is my wager but I have to wait.....kind of a bummer.

These cars are complex and it appears that VCDS is only 1/3 of the diagnostic as the two CAN ports offer direct DIAG access but it seems no one uses those except the factory techs or a mech with the machine.

Here is a for instance, my audi had a leaky strut out the top, I have not explored it yet, but my thoughts are that I can add a decent tire sealant and really mix it on in two or three thin layer s and fix the strut (already have a rebuilt used one for $200).

BUT I will get back with everyone after I do:

1. Order the SUSPENSION MODULE used
2. PUT IT all back together as I had a leaky strut

I will get back with you and thanks for the helo
Old 10-16-2017, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ok rgrewal,
It seem your head is not clear to understand what you read or understood what I said, nothing anyone can do about that. Be good and you will understand and find the correct defective components.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 10-16-2017, 06:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Louis,

No I will do as you wish as well, but just in case I need to order a SUSPENSION Module just in case.

So I will do extra and appreciate your help and hope to have goof results late next week.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2017, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

With the money people wasted on replacing good parts, they can buy many VCDS or something alike, but Karma clouded their judgement. Life is amazing :-)

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Help Needed