A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost ready to pull the trigger on a used A8 L... any words of advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Items in red is all you need and they are not covered. I would just skip any warranty. For the money you save you can fix everything and go for nice vacation. This cars can run 300K miles without major problem. One you are looking at is almost new.
Hi!

My opinions on this are directed by teenage years rich with vehicles having mechanical issues. Essentially, everything I recall with more than 40K miles was almost rolling scrap, with the exception of an otherworldly Subaru which went for 120K miles with two oil changes (don't ask, not my car). This was the mid-80s to early 90s.

That being said, I am familiar with the ostensibly German conundrum of making cars which don't have constant electrical problems and spend days "in the shop" as it were. Not only that, despite my career in healthcare, dropping $1K or two every few months for repairs isn't my cup of tea and I am not a DIY'er beyond fluid changes and minor surgeries. Doing anything beyond that is something I simply don't have the experience, tools, or space to accomplish (I live in an apartment, no air tools, etc).

Could I learn? Sure. My hobby is watch restoration. So I am very familiar with engineering and mechanics. Working with very, very small machines where one poor move results in dozens of small gears being swallowed up by the carpet as if it were a personal black hole has given me a new perspective on patience. But really, the A8 is a big machine. A big exotic machine.

To quote Hunter S. Thompson regarding the Whale (a '71 Coupe de Ville if I recall) from Fear and Loathing:
"Everything was automatic. I could sit in the red-leather driver's seat and make every inch of the car jump, by touching the proper buttons. It was a wonderful machine: Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced Special Effects. The rear-windows leaped up with a touch, like frogs in a dynamite pond. The white canvas top ran up and down like a roller-coaster. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights & dials & meters that I would never understand -- but there was no doubt in my mind that I was into a superior machine."
The Internet is rife with anecdotal information. How much of it is true is unknown. For example, someone may say "I had an Audi and blah-blah always in the shop blah-blah constant hassles", and it may be a late 80's model or a 2014 A6. Who knows?

Can anyone share any of their typical "60K mile A8" stories that may help put my mind to rest regarding the warranty and, specifically, bills associated with not having one?
Old 08-07-2014, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by needles

But make no mistake, I treat these old money tycoons with nothing but contempt. Money remaining dormant in the coffers of fourth or fifth generation families turns my stomach. The plutocracy is alive and well here. They've partially walled themselves off in a culturally secluded area of town, known as "Regency", since the late 1970's. Here you will find an enclave where wealth no longer has any meaning and no material possession is out of reach. The Nebraska aristocracy, also know as the "Knights of Aksarben" (long rumored to be a secret society where sons and daughters are traded for board memberships), clings to its hayseed roots as if a free press was never invented. But don't get me started on our local news media...

Still, I like it here. We have gangs and miscreants and hippies and hipsters. We elect idiots and push the envelope in mediocrity. It's a state desperately clamoring to be nationally relevant yet reels in horror in the face of any semblance of attaining that goal. We're a deeply cynical state with a football cult and a pack of radicals in charge who would rather see Google build their data centers in Iowa and Tesla build their factory in Texas than dare to erect a wind farm in God's Nebraska.

Anyway, sorry for the screed. Hope you got a chuckle! Thanks for all the help! I appreciate it.
I'd say the Kewit's fall in that category, eh?

I have traveled to 46 of the 50 sates for my job. Believe it or not, I've found the friendliest people in Nebraska.

I love Nebraska spelled backwards, too funny. Even remember seeing the horse race track and arena with that name before it disappeared.

Good luck with the A8. My '04 just turned over 225,000 miles today. I still love it.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
I'd say the Kewit's fall in that category, eh?
Oh yes. You can't escape them. They are everywhere here. Not a single local event goes by without their logo slapped over everything.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an '07 A8L 4.2 that I bought in Oct 2012. It was being sold by an Audi dealer and had 62k miles on the clock. Since then I've put about 18k miles on the car. Besides oil changes and new tires the only maintanence/repairs have been the TPMS sensors (about $160 purchased on the net and another $100 to install by a local shop) and a new battery. Right now there's a minor oil leak that appears to be originating from the valley underneath the intake manifold. Figure I'll pull the manifold this winter when I do the annual oil change and replace the various seals and gaskets that are under there. It also looks like it might be time to renew the valve cover gaskets.

I had to clear the sunroof drains a few months back, but fortunately I caught it before there were any serious consequences.

That's about it. I've turned wrenches on my cars since before I had a driver's license, so I decided to self-warranty. But I will admit that this is the most intimidating machine I've ever owned. Knock wood, so far it's been a great ride!
Old 08-08-2014, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Driver1.8
But I will admit that this is the most intimidating machine I've ever owned.
That's where this forum is irreplaceable.