A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W12 Emblem on rear door

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default W12 Emblem on rear door

I have a 2005 W12 D3. On my rear doors there are W12 emblems on a trim piece. One of my W's must of snagged something and snapped a portion of it off. Any idea what the Audi part number for this is? It is not the same W12 Emblem that is used in the trunk. The one of the truck is larger than what they use on the rear doors. Thanks
Old 09-24-2016, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Look on one of the Euro EKTA sites for part #. Or, try eBay.de, or maybe eBay.co.uk but then search whole EU.

There are three sizes basically. The biggest is the trunk one like you mention. The medium one was used on 2005's like yours on rear door location. Starting in 2006 and ever since it moved to the front fender area like other newer Audi motor emblems. That one--like on mine--is yet smaller. I know yours because one body shop put the mid sized one on one front fender of mine by mistake for an unrelated minor repair; it looked odd size wise for that location.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for letting me know there are three sizes. I can only seem to find the W12 for the trunk and front fender. I'll give a call to Audi parts tomorrow and see if they have a part number.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Again, you will find it w/ the prior info I gave you. It's on the EKTA diagrams, including the earlier like yours vs. later like mine. EKTA = the true Audi parts diagrams their parts people use, if you don't know the term. Jim Ellis also has the EKTA diagrams on their parts site, though their indexing approach has always struck me as pretty poor. The Euro EKTA sites on the web are better. For low volume stuff like this I would get familiar with them if you want to save money, track down parts on eBay, etc. That includes eBay Germany where the language is a challenge for many, but w/ a part # you may be able to work thru it if they ship to US. I have done it several times, including on badge type stuff where shipping (mail) is feasible.

The other US Audi online parts dealers use a dumbed down illustration system. But if you call them live and skip the web surfing with a VIN and description of what you want and where it is, they can usually find it real time. Be sure to get to the exact #--which a dealer can always validate with a VIN. On things like this the regular 9 digits of an Audi parts # can be the same for similar but different flavors of a part, but then codes and letters at the end deal with different revisions, trim specifics, etc.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-25-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default EKTA Newbie

I did try to search on EKTA and ebay.de and ebay.uk -- still could not find it. I am new to EKTA ... Seems like there are a handful of EKTA sites. Is there a particular one you recommend? Might you have a link to the site ? The Jim Ellis site won't allow you to do 2005 W12 - Not an option in their menu.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 05A8W12
I did try to search on EKTA and ebay.de and ebay.uk -- still could not find it. I am new to EKTA ... Seems like there are a handful of EKTA sites. Is there a particular one you recommend? Might you have a link to the site ? The Jim Ellis site won't allow you to do 2005 W12 - Not an option in their menu.
Here's one, already pointed at the Audi (non VW side): Online Audi vehicles spare parts catalogue, Audi VIN decoder, Part number search, ETKA Online Select USA models and then D3, etc. Badges are in the body area, but sort of their own page and not with the body part it is stuck to (hood grille, door, trunk lid, etc.). Jim Ellis site is convoluted on the W12 (only shows up explicitly on like 2008's or so). But yet if you just go with only 4.2 for your year, when you land on the page/slide for a given part and read the parts descriptions it should still break out W12 parts variants, and then in the fine print when there is a change at a certain date or VIN. Comes up on the side badges for W12 I think for my later ones on front fender vs. yours on rear rub strip, even when picture is pointing vaguely to side of car or only one location or the other. On the other hand if the W12 is completely different for an entire slide (like the air boxes for example), those slides may not be there. I almost always just use the Euro EKTA sits now though that seem easier to find things with. The one I pointed you to above does sometimes seem to repeat the same slides two or three times for a given area, but they all seem to be there ultimately.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I replaced my W12 emblem from my rear door to my fenders on my 2005 W12. I think it looks better and consistent with Audi's usual nomenclature.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Still not clear on the ETKA what part number I need. I called Jim Ellis and spoke with Craig. We could find the part number for the trunk W12 (4E0853743T2ZZ) And the part for the fender W12 (4E0853601 2ZZ) But not for the rear door W12. He asked the other guys there for help and they could not find it either so he asked me to send him pics of my door so they could see it which I did and am waiting to hear back.

On ETKA - on the body section I go down to "moldings and covers for bumpers, doors and side panels". #18 shows the W12 and tells you to "see illustration 853-30" and Craig said that pointed back to the fender W12 emblem.

So what is the part number for the rear door W12 Emblem?????
Old 09-26-2016, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Did Ellis cross check it w/ your VIN? The computer should tell them if it is a match at that point or not. For audiusaparts (Portland OR dealer) which I usually use, their basic deal IIRC is if it doesn't fit but they confirmed it by VIN, then they pay shipping, etc. to replace. As I said earlier too, the pictures are sort of generic even in true (best) EKTA source. If you know the early ones are on the rear trim strip like yours and all later ones are on front fender like mine (which are numerically more of what were built and later version), then the one size fits all picture is best you get and you hone in from the description when possible.

Punch line is I think it is ... 2ZZ. Attached pic is a screen shot of that slide with page # you had from another EKTA site. The one I linked to before and Jim Ellis both have some notes in the parts description too. Only one firs your early W12 specifically. Admittedly, it is not the one for mine though as a 2006 even though it is still in date range. But since dates on ...2ZZ go back to 2004 on highlighted line in picture below which would match Euro availability of W12 I think, that one is the sensible result.
Attached Thumbnails W12 Emblem on rear door-screen-shot-2016-09-26-7.18.36-pm.png  

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-26-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Not 100% Sure

I went ahead and ordered part# 4E08536012ZZ from Jim Ellis. They could not find any information anywhere on a W12 logo on the rear door molding. They said I could return it if it was not the correct size. Once I receive I will advise if it is the correct size of not.

Quick Reply: W12 Emblem on rear door