A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Analog TV tuner replaced with Hybrid TV tuner - probems with the MOST ring after that

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Indeed, unfortunately I haven't been active lately because my work and my other projects kept me busy.
yysnet - no, I couldn't work out with the seller though if I finally concluded that the unit was defective as I thought from the start. We can discuss more by PM.

But since you "awaken" me, let me tell you about another experiment of mine - how I managed to connect a 3G unit (tv-tuner) to MMI 2G and made it work. I wanted to write a separate thread about it, but I never made the time to do that.

It's quite simple, actually: with the update CD inserted into the CD-Changer, at some point (I don't recall exactly at which point but I don't think it matters - it was sometime after the moment when the car finished reading the current device configuration), I quickly swapped the 2G tuner with the 3G version.

The car thought it still had the 2G TV-tuner connected (when in fact, it was the 3G TV-tuner) and then I proceed to flash. The car read again the tuner's firmware version but didn't bother to check if it's the same unit, then it started flashing and I was lucky because the firmware version on the 2G-update CD was greater than the firmware version of the new TV-tuner (it was expected to, because when the new generation of tuners were produced, they didn't continue the version numbering, though the new firmware is actually an improved implementation of the old firmware).

You may ask: why someone will want to do that? Well, I don't know, I can't speak for others, but in my case, I had a defective 2G tuner and a spare TV-tuner which was compatible only with MMI 3G, which I bought by mistake and which I couldn't sell in a reasonable amount of time because nobody wants them anymore, since they are outdated because of the new DVB-2T standard - at least here in Europe. So, I thought it was worth a try.

I did that almost 10 months ago and the tuner is still working as new. I am using it to receive analog broadcast which still emits in some areas, and also for the two AV inputs).

The only problem is that SW version number isn't readable anymore as you can see from the pictures, but this doesn't have any impact neither on its normal behavior, nor on the diagnosis software.

I attached some pictures - the first two at the top are from the 2G TV-tuner, and the other ones are from the new, reflashed 3G tuner.

Hope this will help someone at some point.
Attached Thumbnails Analog TV tuner replaced with Hybrid TV tuner - probems with the MOST ring after that-1.-mmi-2g-tv-tuner-before-during-after-flash.jpg   Analog TV tuner replaced with Hybrid TV tuner - probems with the MOST ring after that-2.-mmi-2g-tv-tuner-sysinfo.jpg   Analog TV tuner replaced with Hybrid TV tuner - probems with the MOST ring after that-1.-mmi-3g-tv-tuner-before-during-flash.jpg   Analog TV tuner replaced with Hybrid TV tuner - probems with the MOST ring after that-2.-mmi-3g-tv-tuner-after-flash.jpg   Analog TV tuner replaced with Hybrid TV tuner - probems with the MOST ring after that-3.-mmi-3g-tv-tuner-after-flash.jpg  

Analog TV tuner replaced with Hybrid TV tuner - probems with the MOST ring after that-4.-mmi-3g-tv-tuner-sysinfo.jpg   Analog TV tuner replaced with Hybrid TV tuner - probems with the MOST ring after that-5.-mmi-3g-tv-tuner-summary.jpg  
Old 04-25-2017, 12:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silkworm
Hope this will help someone at some point.
It really helps! This is exactly what I am going to try and still on a way to source the 4G0 tuner.

What I trying at the moment is to "crack" the analog RF module and put in a nice and modern 4 antenna DVB-T2 RF module to replace that.

I have done the cracking already and figure out how it works. However the down side is that analog TV does not do teletext and therefore there is no sub-title or program name displayed, but the hybrid and later version does.

It seems like i don't need to do this mod then LOL.

Many thanks again
Old 10-10-2020, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not really sure how related my problem is but Id like to share anyway.

​​​​​​My 2011 A6 has MMI 3G+. I have the TV tuner option on my screen. It shows as Digital TV. Depending where I am and how good/poor the TV signal is, I can view channels and the Freeview info. But it's intermittent as is the audio - and most of the time there is no image/audio. Pic attached.

Any help would be appreciated. Is there a loose connection somewhere. Or do I need an ungraded aerial?

Old 10-10-2020, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts