A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another air strut story ....long

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Logically, if the shock is good, the air spring leaks, why not just replace the bag as I did. Why buy a so called 'rebuilt' that failed more than work since I've read about these problems. The shock has electrical wire pressure controlled, why trust someone else strut? People who can't diy, best is to buy from dealers.
For $200 a bag, I can replace these all day long. Haven't had any problem with mine. I think most of the problems due to operator errors from both rebuilders and car installers.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 07-13-2017, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

i see your point...i watched your video, but decided to purchase a refurb to save some time and extra steps. Plus, you think these guys do enough rebuilds to get it right.

I'm going to live with the yellow suspension light on dash after i put a piece of black tape over it. The tape should cover the CEL for bad cat converter too....hahaha
Old 07-13-2017, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tstealth32
Buy a used oem strut online. Find a lower mile car or you will find a high miles car with a newer replacement. I have a complete oem set for less than 800, all low mileage. Keep looking at eBay. These cars can be cheap if you're proactive and ready to purchase commonly failed items before they fail.

This is one way to go, but risky to purchase a used part without knowing when it will fail. After doing the labor on these, i don't want to do it again. (although i did with 1 side).

Either way, there is no 'right' answer to these as the OEM are super pricey.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Aceler8

I'm going to live with the yellow suspension light on dash after i put a piece of black tape over it. The tape should cover the CEL for bad cat converter too....hahaha
This seems like a terrible idea.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All, just a quick fyi/add to this thread. I recently had a cardone unit installed on an 07 S8, front left. So far, no codes and no abnormalities in the ride whatsoever. Probably the exception to the rule. I purchased it from Amazon October of last year, but am just getting around to doing the install. I'll report back if it gives problems, but as of this writing I am experiencing no issues from the strut. I asked the shop to return the old strut so that I can get it rebuilt in the future.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by the_duke
This seems like a terrible idea.
consider the alternative....

pay for another strut or swap it again and do the labor all over again

spend a ton of money to replace the cat converter to remove the CEL.

Oh, and the adaptive light is bad in one light so that icon is constantly flashing at me.

Car is not worth spending that type of money so i'll live with the warning lights until the car gets replaced, but i hope to get 200k plus. I'm now at 170k.

Tape does the job.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by svxit
All, just a quick fyi/add to this thread. I recently had a cardone unit installed on an 07 S8, front left. So far, no codes and no abnormalities in the ride whatsoever. Probably the exception to the rule. I purchased it from Amazon October of last year, but am just getting around to doing the install. I'll report back if it gives problems, but as of this writing I am experiencing no issues from the strut. I asked the shop to return the old strut so that I can get it rebuilt in the future.
Glad the cardone brand is working for you. Good to hear they do some of them correct.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

consider the alternative....

pay for another strut or swap it again and do the labor all over again

spend a ton of money to replace the cat converter to remove the CEL.

Oh, and the adaptive light is bad in one light so that icon is constantly flashing at me.

Car is not worth spending that type of money so i'll live with the warning lights until the car gets replaced, but i hope to get 200k plus. I'm now at 170k.

Tape does the job.
I thought you were joking, Duke is right, that's a terrible approach. You will not get to 200k.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
I thought you were joking, Duke is right, that's a terrible approach. You will not get to 200k.
I'm curious.

Situation:
A 12 year old A8 with 170k miles is worth maybe 5-6k. Are you saying spending close to $4k plus labor on this car is a better approach?

As a bonus, i have a timing belt job due for another $1700 estimate.

- $1200 cat converter pipe to clear CEL
- $2000+ for 2 new front OEM air struts to clear yellow suspension icon
- $500-700 for used headlight -- to clear adaptive headlight error
Old 07-24-2017, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default You can ditch your car and buy mine for $4k if my wife let me

I'm curious.

Situation:
A 12 year old A8 with 170k miles is worth maybe 5-6k. Are you saying spending close to $4k plus labor on this car is a better approach?

As a bonus, i have a timing belt job due for another $1700 estimate.

- $1200 cat converter pipe to clear CEL
- $2000+ for 2 new front OEM air struts to clear yellow suspension icon
- $500-700 for used headlight -- to clear adaptive headlight error
PS: Yesterday, driving the family to dinner on the A8L, my wife was complementing the ride compared to the eGolf we commute everyday with it... Night and Day... :-) My son was streaming his music from the iPad in the back... Amazing car for a few thousand $.

Cheers,

Louis

Quick Reply: another air strut story ....long