A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 11:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jacking mode

Is there a way to switch to jacking mode without using the MMI system. Im about to attempt to change my oil and filter and i need to jack up the car. the only problem is the option for jack mode and air suspension is gone due to me replacing the battery and i cant drive the car to an audi place for them to reset my mmi to get those options back yet due to me needing oil change( no oil on dipstick)
Old 08-10-2014, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Go purchase a set of Rhono ramps. These are better than jack mode. Much more room to get underneath.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by cdjocp
Is there a way to switch to jacking mode without using the MMI system. Im about to attempt to change my oil and filter and i need to jack up the car. the only problem is the option for jack mode and air suspension is gone due to me replacing the battery and i cant drive the car to an audi place for them to reset my mmi to get those options back yet due to me needing oil change( no oil on dipstick)
You should add oil until it's ON the dipstick. Even if you have some old (unused) oil sitting around, til you get changed. You're playing Russian roulette if you got no oil!

Will Rhino ramps fit under the bumper without the car in jack mode?

The car knows it's being jacked up. SSP #??? says raising the car quickly helps in this regard.

You can reset the MMI with a three-button combo (I can't recall, STFA) but not sure it'll help.

Be sure the battery is good, either have a 15A charger hooked up ( "-" goes to big hex post above the battery) or the engine running.

hth,
Tom
Old 08-10-2014, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default No problems using ramps

Will Rhino ramps fit under the bumper without the car in jack mode?

hth,
Tom[/QUOTE]
Rolls right on, front or rear. I looked at doing my first oil change in lift mode. Could not get under the car. The jack mode has no effect when using ramps.

Last edited by Panelhead; 08-11-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

They will fit for the car to roll on, jack mode just make sure the suspension isnt constantly adjusting itself because it detects the car is lifted from being jacked up with floor jack i think. I read somewhere that if you dont put in jack mode it could affect the air bags or suspension one of those for good but it also might not toss up
Old 08-10-2014, 09:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i think the ramps might work because the car wheels are still in contact with something rather than just hanging and system guessing the whole time, makes sense to me..
Old 08-10-2014, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cdjocp
Top up oil and drive her for some time. MMI functions will come back when Power Management figures out that you have new battery. You can change oil later.