A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody reupholstered their interior?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anybody reupholstered their interior?

Gotta admit, looking at the custom quilted leather seats with contrasted stitching on the D4 am seriously thinking about it. My S8's twelve years old now and is starting to show wear in a couple of areas, particularly the outer, door side bumper of my driver's seat lowering myself into and out of the car hard to not brush up against it as low as the car sits.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I should think it would cost a fortune; but if done well I think it would be a huge upgrade over the slab seats of a D3 A8. In Europe they had a lower cost option seat that did not have as many adjustments or a ventilation option, but they had pleats and so, IMHO, looked better than our US standard 'sport' seat'. Replacing the Alcantera inserts in the door with the quilted leather will help sell the OEM illusion.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's a pre-facelift D3 A8 with custom interior (not mine)

Old 04-20-2019, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by awdinut
I should think it would cost a fortune; but if done well I think it would be a huge upgrade over the slab seats of a D3 A8. In Europe they had a lower cost option seat that did not have as many adjustments or a ventilation option, but they had pleats and so, IMHO, looked better than our US standard 'sport' seat'. Replacing the Alcantera inserts in the door with the quilted leather will help sell the OEM illusion.
I'm getting my driver's side seat left bolster repaired a week from Monday and at that time will be getting a quote for full reupholstering. I've given, shown them pictures of a D4's interior and would just have to pick a color(s). When I have a number I'll make a decision and go from there, but right now I figure about $4-5K.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ste4lth
Yep, that's it. Pretty much decided I'm going to emulate the D4 including the cross-stitching on the center of the seat and back, a black stripe down the middle. Leather for the seats, vinyl for the sides (tougher for wear and tire over time).
Old 04-20-2019, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pelujan
I'm getting my driver's side seat left bolster repaired a week from Monday and at that time will be getting a quote for full reupholstering. I've given, shown them pictures of a D4's interior and would just have to pick a color(s). When I have a number I'll make a decision and go from there, but right now I figure about $4-5K.
Seems like it's a lot to spend on a car, which is worth $6000-10000
Old 04-20-2019, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Tough to justify economically, but it does look nice.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BASARAB
Seems like it's a lot to spend on a car, which is worth $6000-10000
Depends on mileage and condition as evidenced by prices on eBay, Craigslist and elsewhere for lower mileage S8s. I bought mine a little over two months ago from original (one) owner with 42K original miles on it.That did command something north of $10K as it was, is in pristine condition. The abrasion on the left side of the drivers seat is the first thing I've really had to address beyond the poor trunk lift motor. I'll probably need to do control arms in about another 10K miles given its age.

As with my 2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon I bought in Nov 2016 with 45K original miles on it at the time, I plan on taking care of this vehicle mechanically and keeping it for a good long while.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Ste4lth
Looks nice but I'd skip the carbon fiber stickers!
Old 04-20-2019, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Having seen this example I think that the quilting is only a good thing if the leather is perforated...seeing smooth shiny leather in diamond quilting is not attractive.

That car also has a current generation Audi steering wheel...last I knew, a forum member was trying to fit a D4 wheel to a D3 but was running into problems. Never saw a follow up thread about it being a success. D4 steering wheels look good, (though I dont think fa lat bottom Audi wheel is right for an A8) and are available on eBay at reasonable prices. They have more Aluminum trim that brightens up the cabin a bit. If I knew a D4 wheel was compatible I might have replaced my cracked wood/leather wheel with a leather D4 wheel. But last week I bought a brand new wood/leather wheel;will post pics when I do the install.

Last edited by awdinut; 04-21-2019 at 08:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Anybody reupholstered their interior?