A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have to replace radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone have to replace radiator?

My A8 has about 72K on it and a very minor leak on bottom of radiator. Got a quote of $800 from indie shop to replace it and replace the hoses too. Does this sound about right? The radiator itself cost them $367 from Audi they said. There's no fix for this other than replacement, right? And does 72k sound little low for radiator failure? I had over 100 on my a6 and radiator was still good. Thanks
Old 04-11-2011, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike141
There's no fix for this other than replacement, right? And does 72k sound little low for radiator failure? I had over 100 on my a6 and radiator was still good. Thanks
Replace it Mike, they aren't worth fixing anymore. This based on many other vehicles/years of experience.

Can't comment on price or longevity as I'm new to the four rings, but there are myriad factors that figure into the life of a rad.

-Jake
Old 04-11-2011, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer told me that I had very small leak from the radiator and that it had to be replaced. I took it to them cause the overheating light was coming on at start up and after a minute or 2 the light goes away. I thought it was the thermostat again! They quoted me about 1400!! This happened around 75k miles and 3 thermostats later(replaced at dealer). They said it wasnt covered under the CPO also. The leak is so small. I dont notice anything on the ground in the morning. I check the level from time to time and everything seems fine.

The dealer topped off the coolant and gave me the rest of the gallon. I brought a second gallon that I havent opened yet. My car now is at 104k and year and half later. I forgot about the leak because I didnt have to refill it as of yet.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Doesn't count for you (a W12), but actually yes

Caught a tiny leak in W12 while still in the 4/50 warranty. Dealer confirmed-only saw the orange type powdery residue that arises when the coolant evaporates in a small area as the clue. And in a weird fluke, W12 radiators actually list for a bit less than the V8 ones do.

And no, not rebuildable or anything like the old days.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Realize this is an old thread, but I just had my radiator replaced last week. A leak they discovered while replacing the crankshaft seal, which also had a significant leak . . .

Just out of curiosity - mine was leaking in the bottom left (passenger side) corner, is that where yours were leaking as well? I vaguely recall C4 radiators back in the day leaking in the exact same spot. Crazy.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Sanders
... left (passenger side) corner...
I believe this was discussed many times before, but it is still there. Passenger side means nothing in the world wide forum. Left is more than enough. Off course if you align yourself front to rear first. I believe our faces are at the front and the rest at the back.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After a recent oil change by an Audi dealership (they sent a coupon for full synthetic oil change for $24.99), they said I have multiple pin hole leaks. Quoted the replacement at 5 hours labor plus radiator. I received a quote from Sunset Audi for a radiator at $275 plus shipping and hoses.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Yes, same general location...

though W12 has its own radiator part # as I recall.

Originally Posted by Sanders
Realize this is an old thread, but I just had my radiator replaced last week. A leak they discovered while replacing the crankshaft seal, which also had a significant leak . . .

Just out of curiosity - mine was leaking in the bottom left (passenger side) corner, is that where yours were leaking as well? I vaguely recall C4 radiators back in the day leaking in the exact same spot. Crazy.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mike141
Got a quote of $800 from indie shop to replace it and replace the hoses too. Does this sound about right?
I replaced the radiator as part of my rebuild, so $800 for the parts and labor sound like a good deal. They have to take off the bumper cover, take off the condenser, and flush the whole system, I think it is worth it.

Radiator view: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Radiator with condenser installed in front of it: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

As for the mileage, it sure sounds like early failure to me.

Good luck.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was assuming the bumper removal, but thought I would not have to touch the condenser. Why would the system need to be flushed? The car I purchased just had a timing belt and thermostat replaced, and I was even planning on reusing much of the same fluid.

Quick Reply: Anyone have to replace radiator?