A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone put Flowmaster mufflers on their 4.2?

Old 11-30-2013, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dripppps
why in the world would you want to ruin the quiet and luxurious A8 that they spent so much money on engineering and perfecting t
e silence of the ride!! Buy a honda!
So true. I have loud cars (not hondas) and they are what they are. One of the original reasons I purchased my s8 was my wife saw this video
and said YES!
I was all for changing over the exhaust to a Milltek configuration. I started driving the car and realized that I no longer wanted the loud car "hey look at me" status. The car gets plenty of head turns already.
I agree that the flowmaster mufflers do sound great (I've had them on several vehicles) and I have a friend that has dynomax on his 05'S4 4.2. To be honest that sounds like a 5.0L Mustang. If that is the sound you are looking for (flowmaster I suspect would be louder) then go for it. I appreciate the quietness that the A8/S8 cabin provides.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Two ways to make it sound good. Which one you prefer?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AaU3MFNxOHI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eE8-WsaBqGU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-30-2013, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Besides being extremely rude you didn't get any of it. All replies are about exhausts. Guys are just not using your kind of language to express their despise of your idea. So let me simplify it for you: everything you are doing to that poor A8 is fake and ultimately ugly. From that ridiculous front bumper to that just as ugly rear spoiler. On the other hand it all goes very well with your language.

P.S. By the way, you didn't start this tread. Why do you have this urge to police it?

Last edited by mishar; 11-30-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

FYI: Mr. Ziggy's inappropriate posts have have deleted and he has been banned for a month for his unacceptable language and personal attacks (which are not tolerated in the forums). If he returns and continues with the same type of behavior, his banning will become permanent.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default The exhaust sounds are from the engine alloys which can't be duplicated

Originally Posted by mishar
Two ways to make it sound good. Which one you prefer?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AaU3MFNxOHI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eE8-WsaBqGU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Italian, German, Japanese cars all have their own exhaust sounds due the their unique engine alloys I believe. I used to have Alfa Romeo GTV6 with the silk ripping sound when accelerating which I loved. Later I bought Ansa muffler for my VW and it didn't come out the same. I read somewhere that the engine head alloys make the throaty exhaust sounds.
The Ferrari engines are famous for their exhaust sounds, love to hear them roar.
Getting older, I like the quietness of the A8 on the city and freeway but still love to accelerate sometimes to hear the throaty sound of the original 4.2 V8 D3. D2 didn't have it.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 12-02-2013, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

My favorite Formula 1 sound
Old 12-02-2013, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

An oldie but a goodie.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default My daughter heard me playing and thought it was a Minion...

Originally Posted by mishar
It's so funny, I had to find some F1 sound for her to sync with the "Minion" voice... :-)

Cheers,

Louis
Old 12-03-2013, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will have to agree about the luxury and comfort being compromised when trying different exhaust setups. My kids alway fall asleep comfortably on the freeway. The interior of the A8 is very quiet on the road and even with the stock exhaust, when pushed hard still sounds aggressive.

itooz, that cabin video looks like the 405 freeway that I'm stuck in everyday.

So now I'm torn. Keep the stock setup? or keep researching for mufflers?
Old 12-04-2013, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoCalJ
I will have to agree about the luxury and comfort being compromised when trying different exhaust setups. My kids alway fall asleep comfortably on the freeway. The interior of the A8 is very quiet on the road and even with the stock exhaust, when pushed hard still sounds aggressive.

itooz, that cabin video looks like the 405 freeway that I'm stuck in everyday.

So now I'm torn. Keep the stock setup? or keep researching for mufflers?
Due to the fact Audi did a good job on the A8 interior insulation the sound is about the same.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone put Flowmaster mufflers on their 4.2?