A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apple CarPlay vs CarPlay iOS vs iOS Screen Mirroring on MMI 2G

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Apple CarPlay vs CarPlay iOS vs iOS Screen Mirroring on MMI 2G

I love the Apple CarPlay on my new eGolf for driving, it's actually an Apple Software that remove most of the touch screen and use mostly speech and text recognition. The only 1 feature that I think it worth the hype is the iMessage using Siri, but we can just do it without the Apple CarPlay if we have the Screen Mirroring.
To get this working, all we need is the $20 screen mirroring device + $9 HDMI to RCA converter + Analog TV Tuner which is a must have for all MMI 2G. Yes, for older model like (2004-2006) you need head unit to have FBAS which I have a few parts left for 2-3 retrofits. It's quite simple and painless if you know what you're doing.
There is an app for iOS mimicking the original Apple CarPlay called CarPlay iOS which install the app with the gui like the Apple CarPlay, but it doesn't work due to Apple proprietary data. I thought I would have the Apple CarPlay on my A8L, but no dice... The screen mirroring is much better and work the same without the limitation and the gui.

Cheers,
Louis
Old 04-24-2018, 09:39 PM
Back axle behind the ears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks crisp...
Messiest iPhone home screen ever tho...
Old 04-25-2018, 08:54 PM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've read quite a few of your posts and a lot of content on your website. You are quite knowledgable and aren't afraid to mess around and see what works. With that being said, a lot of what you do is over my head. However from what I've gathered, and by checking my part # in VCDS, I do NOT have the display that supports moving pictures / television (and, as such, no television tuner in the back with the radio either).

What parts do I need to get the display that supports the higher frame rate for video and what part to have support for doing all the fun-stuff to link in RCA cables and whatever else for motion picture, backup cameras, what have you? I just got the little visual park assist upgrade (to help the woman avoid hitting things driving the A8L boat!) but I'd like to eventually be able to run a backup camera in down the line, or do stuff with a Raspberry Pi.

Thanks
Naudi
Old 04-26-2018, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Naudi,
What all Audi 2004-2006 A8 need is the FBAS (video input circuit and connector) installed in the head unit 4E0 035 729 - or you can get a used 4E0 035 729 A - which has the FBAS builtin - from 2007-2010 US model. The problem with replacing the "A" head unit is that you have to get the CP (component protection) removed by a dealer or your sound won't work, at least that's what I heard. Install the FBAS circuit will be transparent to the system and NO CP removal required. I did one for a member here and it worked quite well. The cost of installing the FBAS circuit is very little - the shipping and receiving is expensive, but if you use the USPS flat rate box would be efficient. The hardest part is to solder the Graphic IC onto the main board and my friend is a professional solder person. It would be done in less than 1 hr. Like I said, I bought 3 ICs to retrofit for a member here, I still have them since he never sent me his Head Unit.
- When the FBAS is done, you'll have any video to go to the head unit and display on the screen: Raspberry Pi, TV, Mirroring devices, etc... endless.
- For audio to get to the MMI system, you need Analog TV Tuner 4E0 919 146 to hook up to the audio system by MOST bus - From the TV tuner audio, there are 2 ports AV1 and AV2 which you can install 2 separates video and audio inputs: Bluetooth or any other AV inputs. You don't need the FBAS for using the audio only on the TV Tuner (that's what I've heard), which means you can stream audio through Bluetooth AND Auxiliary from your Phone to play music. This is the cheapest way to have alternative AMI.
- RVC (reverse video camera) - You will need an RVC controller 4EO 910 441 and new CAN GATEWAY module 4LO 907 468 “B” or “C” or 4EO 907 468 “G” or “H” that support RVC.
Since you seem to be a handy person, I'm sure you can get these done very easy. If you need my help on retrofitting the FBAS, I'll do it for you. I'm not here to make money, just for fun - if I give it to you free is a little too much - the cost of parts ordered from many places ~ $40 - I take my rework person out to lunch every time she does something for me $30 (nice lunch), so it would cost you $70 plus shipping. I rather to have return shipping paid so I don't have to worry about shipping it. When I received the board - she will do it in a few hours and I'll send it out the next day. Fast or not is up to your shipping company. One more thing, I have no way of checking if the chip is defective but I do check to make sure there's no shorts and the solders are inspected by the person. I've only done for one person and it worked perfectly.

Cheers,
Louis
Old 04-27-2018, 12:51 PM
The Transporter

Okay, so you'd need me to send you the screen and you can have the FBAS installed, correct? And then I need to get a TV tuner, part 4D0 919 146? I found a "4D0 919 146 B" for $89 + $15 shipping, and it contains already-performed DIY modifications for doing RNS-E as in the newer models, so I think this has everything needed. From the photos it has six total RCA female inputs; two each of yellow video, red and white audio (two pairs of each, that is).

So I'd get the FBAS modification performed, reinstall the display, hookup the TV tuner, and then interface whatever I want with the RCA plugs in that TV tuner to have crisp display on my screen?

I was going to be pulling out the display anyway as I received the brass gears required to fix the damn "click click click" morse-code/never-fully-close condition caused by the broken plastic gears.

Thanks

Naudi
Old 04-27-2018, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It's NOT the screen, it's the HEAD UNIT behind the glove box. Without it, your MMI screen will not be ON.

Cheers,
Louis
Old 04-27-2018, 01:10 PM
The Transporter

Okay - what exactly is it called in the Bentley Publishers manual? I can look up how to remove it. It definitely sounds like something I'd like to do.

Also, where does that TV tuner I described get installed?

I am not familiar at all with the system =D.

Thank you!
Old 04-27-2018, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Read
Old 09-19-2018, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Huge step and one more when Waze gets included. Wish the A4 had touchscreen capabilities along with MMI ****. Would make some of the ancillary functions easier like zoom, moving the map around, choosing a different route, but better than nothing!
Old 09-19-2018, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Wait, my next project is actually a touch screen with CarPlay and Android Auto

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay vs CarPlay iOS vs iOS Screen Mirroring on MMI 2G