A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

armrest issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default armrest issue

My driver side armrest binds when put down causing the plastic thing on the bottom to pop off. I can put it back on, but the rounded part on the back is scuffing / binding agaist the console. Has anyone else had this problem? I wonder if I loosen the bolt, can the mechanism with the pivot point be raised, giving more clearance between bottom of arm and console?

The plastic piece has the latch point which holds the top closed (hence rubber band keeping it closed)

Old 04-25-2018, 08:58 PM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You may want to play with that tension / pivot point you described. I've never actually taken the arm rests off myself (although I'd like to look and see if the cable running behind them are frayed from them going up and down - oh yes, it's a design flaw I'd say, and pushing these up and down a lot have caused some people to have that wire frayed in half!). I do need to get a replacement handle for the drivers-side arm-rest, though, as it doesn't retain the lid against the arm rest and if I absent-mindedly put it up the lid will fly open and its contents (usually lots of small things!) will fly out. I bought it with that latch missing.

Take some pictures of what you find in there and let us know if you can adjust that clearance. I'd love to set them by "default" a bit higher. They "point down" too much for my taste at their lowest setting.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:14 PM
Back axle behind the ears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by a_very_naudi_guy
You may want to play with that tension / pivot point you described. I've never actually taken the arm rests off myself (although I'd like to look and see if the cable running behind them are frayed from them going up and down - oh yes, it's a design flaw I'd say, and pushing these up and down a lot have caused some people to have that wire frayed in half!). I do need to get a replacement handle for the drivers-side arm-rest, though, as it doesn't retain the lid against the arm rest and if I absent-mindedly put it up the lid will fly open and its contents (usually lots of small things!) will fly out. I bought it with that latch missing.

Take some pictures of what you find in there and let us know if you can adjust that clearance. I'd love to set them by "default" a bit higher. They "point down" too much for my taste at their lowest setting.
Lol, both mine are sat at one notch up, defo too low at lowest...
Old 04-27-2018, 03:08 PM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mixja23
Lol, both mine are sat at one notch up, defo too low at lowest...
Yup. I'd love to have the lowest setting set to the first notch up - I once did the ol' pull-up/push down to reset to the bottom and didn't realize I smashed my sunglasses. Anything you have in that center console is going to get smooshed if it's not small and safely down deep in the console with the terror of the armrests bearing down on them!
Old 04-27-2018, 09:57 PM
Back axle behind the ears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by a_very_naudi_guy
Yup. I'd love to have the lowest setting set to the first notch up - I once did the ol' pull-up/push down to reset to the bottom and didn't realize I smashed my sunglasses. Anything you have in that center console is going to get smooshed if it's not small and safely down deep in the console with the terror of the armrests bearing down on them!
First world problems lol...
Old 05-01-2018, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I have taken these apart fully as I have resprayed and refurbished a pair.
They have to be fitted in a specific order for them to click in fully. Let me see if I can find my instructions
Old 05-01-2018, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

You should be able to do this without taking out the armrest but it is a lot easier if the armrest is off. Do this first bit so you can see the inside of the armrest. Then move the armrest around until you can see with part of the clip is not fitting correctly or catching

Removing and installing lower cover panel for centre armrest (split)Remove centre armrest (split)
Open centre armrest
Remove storage compartment
Unscrew bolts -2- (2x)

1. Cover Bottom
3. Carrier with Adjuster
4. trim

Starting on side at front -arrow-, carefully prise lower cover panel -1- off side section -2
Detach lower cover panel -1
Install in reverse order of removal

Last edited by chokboywonda; 05-01-2018 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Images didnt show
Old 05-01-2018, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member