AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/)
-   -   Attention WeatherTech A8 Mat users. Questions... (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/attention-weathertech-a8-mat-users-questions-2615033/)

tcr20 01-05-2008 09:32 AM

Attention WeatherTech A8 Mat users. Questions...

I just received my front (W31) and rear (W5) WeatherTech winter floormats. I ordered off a site that allows you to specify manufacturer, year, model (Audi/2008/A8-S8), and the mats don't fit. I know the rear mats are meant to be trimmed to fit, but aren't the front supposed to be exactly the same size as the Audi "rug mats" or just slightly larger. These, especially the passenger side, are far wider that the floor area, and just look ridiculous if you try to make the sides curl up etc.

Am I missing something?

Mister Bally 01-05-2008 12:18 PM

Re: Attention WeatherTech A8 Mat users. Questions...

You're not missing anything.

First, I ordered Weather Tech winter mats for my Wife's GMC Envoy and the mats were P*E*R*F*E*C*T in front and the two rear rows got their "universal" mats that I trimmed nicely for them to fit.

A year later (per the "deal" I struck with Mrs. Bally) I get my A8L. I go back to MacNeil and order the same type of WeatherTech winter mats for my A8L. Yes, I used the website where they asked car specifics just like they did for my wife's Envoy. I get the mats and they fit and look like garbage! I call up MacNeil and they tell me "sir, nowhere do we say the mats for your Audi would be an exact fit". We have dozens of universal fit mats and the ones you received are the closest thing to a custom fit for your vehicle. "some trimming may be desired by you". However, if you do so, the mats cannot be returned.

When I pointed out how the ones I bought for my wife's Envoy fit like a glove, they said that an exact fit mat was made for her vehicle because it is so popular. They also CONfirmed that the full rubber and the rubber with carpet over the rubber versions have the same footprint so there would be no point in doing an exchange.

My solution was to buy the Lloyd deluxe plush carpet mats from Autoanything(dot)com. I use a dark set in the winter and a lighter set that matches the carpet exactly in the summer. The OEM Audi carpet mats seem a bit "less than luxury" to me and the look of black rubber which is the OEM Audi winter mats make the car seem more like a transit bus, in my opinion.

The Lloyd mats fit perfect with the exception that the driver's mat is about 2" too high near the accelerator pedal and caused a full throttle problem once for me. Funny that it was on the 2nd set of mats I bought. I trimmed the first one properly with a carpet knife but tried to trim a bit less on the 2nd set. Basically you cut a 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" square off the corner closest to the throttle. Search the forums for that story.

Good luck. I would return them (shipping charge will be on your dime to Downer's Grove if you bought direct from MacNeil) but it sure beats putting up with their scam as the magazine 2 & 4 page ads elude that all of their mats fit perfectly. Could you imagine if one of their ads had a picture of what the mats look like in an Audi A8? Even if they had the same model with the nice legs in the photo!

tcr20 01-05-2008 02:20 PM

Thanks, I was about to cut them, but I'll check out the Lloyd's mats. I think it's BS that we

can't get decent winter mats for an A8. I may end up going for the Audi mats although they don't look like they would "hold" much in terms of snow, water, etc. If it all runs off to the carpet, what's the point!?

skl1 01-05-2008 04:46 PM

Audi mats fit great...

I got the "euro" mats from Clairparts for my A8 sport SWB as their regular ones are for the L. Sure they're rubber but after a little salt, sand, etc who cares?? They fit fine with NO trimming.

Emauss 01-05-2008 05:05 PM

I just installed the full "ugly rubber" mats...

...and while they are far from attractive, they are exremely utilitarian.

For me they are perfect for winter weather.

....and yes, they fit just right.

tcr20 01-05-2008 06:20 PM

For A8 SWB? Where did you get them?

Emauss 01-06-2008 03:32 AM

Sorry..A8L (see SIG)

Mister Bally 01-06-2008 07:45 AM

Re: Sorry..A8L (see SIG)

I don't don't see why the long wheelbase OEM model rubber mats won't work. The front mats should be the same and the rears would just be too long. Very simple to cut off any excess length with a straight edge and it would be hidden under the front seat. Unless there is a heat duct too close to the rear passenger footwells that would get covered or exposed etc.

skl1 01-06-2008 06:39 PM

Clairparts

Euro mats are for the SWB- they fit great in my SWB A8 sport.

tcr20 01-07-2008 07:09 AM

Thx. Just ordered mine.