A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATTN D3 A8 Owners:OEM AMI Bluetooth Adapters Located!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Here is a copy of the operating instructions.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using the Viseeo Tune2Air with the AMI dock cable in my car for a few years. I'm OCD so I figured I would try the Audi OEM solution. I ordered one from Audi of Beverly Hills and they were great.

After living with the Tune2Air the Audi OEM solution is poor at best. With the Tune2Air my iPhone / iPod behaves almost exactly as if it was hard wired to the AMI only it's connected via bluetooth. I can browse artists, playlists, etc. and choose what I want to listen to. With the Audi OEM solution it's like having a bluetooth enabled cassette deck. Only basic transport controls - forward, reverse, play and pause. No track information is being displayed on the MMI screen in my car. And yes I have the latest MMI software installed. I do have the track information enabled in the setup screen. Maybe I'm missing something??

The Viseeo isn't perfect. On rare occasions I have to unplug it from the dock connector and reconnect it to pair with my iPhone. Every new version of iOS 8 seems to change how the system reacts when I first start the car. Currently my iPhone will automatically start playing when I start the car but it doesn't remember where it left off when I last exited the vehicle - most of the time.

That being said for me the Viseeo is a superior solution to the Audi OEM bluetooth adapter. If anyone wants to try the OEM solution I have one with about 20 minutes of use I will gladly sell. Just shoot me a PM.

Last edited by sterfry; 09-11-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So today I noticed frequent stutters/skipping in music over bluetooth. Also, I don't like how it forces to play the next random phone on my iphone and it will force play a song even after I have closed down the music app. Like I will stop a song and close down the app and then after a few seconds, it will start another song anyway. Any work around for this before I decide to return?
Old 09-11-2015, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default There must be a reason they discontinued the products...

bluetooth only works well in the last few years or so, old bluetooth can't stream music well....
My sister loves her bluetooth in her Q5 and it's only 2.0.

This is $6 bluetooth these days.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 09-12-2015, 01:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by milellie111
So today I noticed frequent stutters/skipping in music over bluetooth. Also, I don't like how it forces to play the next random phone on my iphone and it will force play a song even after I have closed down the music app. Like I will stop a song and close down the app and then after a few seconds, it will start another song anyway. Any work around for this before I decide to return?
The Viseeo has the same issue. There seems to be no fix.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you still keep the product even it doesn't perform as designed?

Originally Posted by richard-tx
The Viseeo has the same issue. There seems to be no fix.
These hole in the wall engineering houses, just put the cheapest bluetooth in their products, never tested them for consumers, have nimrods to write firmware and my sister almost spend $90 for one, because they made it look simple and looked custom made for Audi.

- Bluetooth seems simple but actually very hard to achieve if it's poorly made or programmed.
- For Audi to work with bluetooth - the resistor of AMI cable must be 1k and not 18.7k as for iPod detection.
- If resistor is made 1k then the USB power from the AMI is OFF then what power the bluetooth unit?
- Now if these guys pretend to write something inside their product to fake the MMI to see it as iPod so the power can come on?

Sometimes it's not how much it costs, it's how well it can perform, it it doesn't, even $1 still not worth the trouble.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 09-19-2015, 02:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off - I can't say enough for how much help you all are on the site. Thank you for contributions.
I received my audi bluetooth box today from the nice people at Beverly Hills Audi. Upon inspection of the glovebox there is no 30 pin socket readily available, so I ordered the removal keys from the local audi shop for $9 and I'll wait on their order to arrive. Im into the A8L 2006 with Bose AMI 2G and 6 disc in glovebox and NAV. I also ordered the plug n play loom and fiber connector from another online site because the dealer says the loom is unavailable and I want to keep using the 6 disc. I'm already at 4610 version AMI because prior owner had the display fail and paid audi $1200 for a new one with updated software. From what I gather, I need to use the keys to pull out the 6 disc unit carefully, trace the loom connector to the 6 disc back to the AMI, unplug the disc line, plug in the plug n play loom, (not sure if I needed the fiber optic plug n play because the cable is only AMI loom) and plug in the new 4F0 051 510 J cable. restart the system now with the USB installed for update, then power down and install the audi bluetooth plastic box into the USB (or another vendor bluetooth from what I'm reading one this forum).

Questions:
1. will I need to supply additional power to that audi bluetooth USB device on the 2006 AMI ?
2. would you on the forum recommend piggy-backing the 6 disc on there at first or add later?
3. will the 2006 AMI have power at the USB to run the 500G HDD or a SSD?
4. will I need to remove the whole glovebox to plug and play the lines or just the 6 disc unit? my 6 disc is installed currently on the left upper side of the glovebox.

part number listing from another site
Audi MMI Interface (4E0 057 785F) Alt 4E0 035 785 F)
Ipod Adapter Cable (4F0 051 510L)
Bluetooth Adapter (4F0 051 510 J)
USB Cable (Female) (4F0 051 510Q)
3.5mm Jack (4F0 051 510 F)
Removal Keys (4D0 051 530 )
Plug'n'PlayWiring Loom (4F0 051 592 A)
Plug'n'Play Fibre Optic bridge connector (4E0 972 645)
Audi 500GB HDD (8R0 063 827 A)

Last edited by Florida8L; 09-19-2015 at 02:23 AM.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Read the manuals that come with the components

I'm sure each component you bought come with manual and instructions on how to hook up and use. Read them and put them together. It sounds like a great system if it works. I don't know if MMI 2G ever work with a hard drive and bluetooth together. Unless Audi made something in secret for your special 2G. If you get them all work together, please post some pictures or videos.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 09-19-2015, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

First of all ifg you have the AMI installed , then you don't have to remove the CD changer or anything else for that matter. Behind the little flap on the AMI is the AMI jack.

1 - You will not need additional power for the Bluetooth adapters.
2 - the normal config is to have the AMI and the CD changer mounted in the glove box.
3 - There is enough power to run a SSD or Hard drive with a USB to SATA adapter. I have had problems getting a SSD to respond properly when formatted with a EXT file system.
4 - There is no need to remove the glove box to install or remove either the Changer or the AMI. If you buy the AMI from Audi, it comes with keys and instructions.
5 - there is a cable kit for use with the AMI. It also contains instructions.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there I have a 2004 D3 so I bought one of those Bovee bluetooth devices for streaming music. My setup looks like the one in the picture, just not sure where and how to hook it up. Is there a plug where this bluetooth adapter plugs in? Or there is a retro fit that i have to buy? Any help would be awesome cheers