AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/)
-   -   Audi A8 air suspension problem (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/audi-a8-air-suspension-problem-2800048/)

tony1279 02-06-2011 09:20 PM

Audi A8 air suspension problem

I have a 2006 A8 L. The car was sitting in the driveway for a few days when it was cold. Somehow when I used the car on day I had the orange and green light on the dash board. Also the air bag light was on too.

I took it to the dealer and they said that the air compressor has a temperature sensor inside that failed. To fix that they need to replace "air compressor". To do that its about $2400 at the dealer. I was wondering if someone can give me hints or ideas what to do, if there is a cheaper fix.

Also i noticed that some other guys have had the same or similar problems. I don't understand why this car is so sensitive to the weather.

Edd W 02-06-2011 11:49 PM

It is to monitor the operating temperature of the air compressor as a safety measure in case there is an air leak which causes the compressor to overheat.
I suspect you could probably pick up a replacement compressor on Ebay or similar or have yours repaired if you can do without the car while it is fixed?

milellie111 02-07-2011 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by tony1279 (Post 24101313)
I have a 2006 A8 L. The car was sitting in the driveway for a few days when it was cold. Somehow when I used the car on day I had the orange and green light on the dash board. Also the air bag light was on too.

I took it to the dealer and they said that the air compressor has a temperature sensor inside that failed. To fix that they need to replace "air compressor". To do that its about $2400 at the dealer. I was wondering if someone can give me hints or ideas what to do, if there is a cheaper fix.

Also i noticed that some other guys have had the same or similar problems. I don't understand why this car is so sensitive to the weather.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Compressor-Audi-...item5d2726d613 ????

+ Find a good independent shop in your area that specializes in German autos and you should be able to save a ton.

I don't have an A8 yet, but am hoping to buy one this year. Whatever the case, threads like these make me appreciate that coughing up $2500-$3500 for some sort of warranty on these vehicles is peanuts compared to expected repair costs.

ludikraut 02-07-2011 07:48 AM

^ I just ordered one of those for my '04. Hoping it arrives this week. I'll post up once I've got it installed.

l8r)

tony1279 02-14-2011 05:41 AM

Audi A8 air suspension problem

I asked around at other local shops specialized for German cars. They are expensive too, because the air compressor cost too much. These other shops charge about $1800, its less but still too much. I am willing to do it myself, but I don't know how hard it is. I am a handy guy but never worked in Audi before.

akslionu 02-14-2011 07:22 AM

Hi!
Firs of all sorry about my bad english! Hope you understand!
I have a weird problem with my A8 2003 - the suspension is too stiff! It is like riding on rims without tires. Sometimes it`s better-not so stiff, but lately it`s almost all the time stiff. And it`s the same with winter(245/45/18) and summer(235/50/18)tires.
Anybody have the same problem?
Have not done diagnostic yet, planing to do soon as possible...

Aks

tony1279 02-14-2011 07:23 PM

where did you buy it

mishar 02-14-2011 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by akslionu (Post 24104558)
Hi!
Firs of all sorry about my bad english! Hope you understand!
I have a weird problem with my A8 2003 - the suspension is too stiff! It is like riding on rims without tires. Sometimes it`s better-not so stiff, but lately it`s almost all the time stiff. And it`s the same with winter(245/45/18) and summer(235/50/18)tires.
Anybody have the same problem?
Have not done diagnostic yet, planing to do soon as possible...

Aks

Could be sucked in emergency running mode (limping mode).

akslionu 02-15-2011 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by tony1279 (Post 24104915)
where did you buy it

From Estonia. Why?

akslionu 02-15-2011 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by mishar (Post 24104932)
Could be sucked in emergency running mode (limping mode).

Hmm...don`t understand what that means, sorry, but for more information:
It`s lifting and lowering almost all time normally, but sometimes lifting too slow and then I can hear the compressor doing little too much noise...
Hard to say like that, I understand, have to wait for diagnostic probably and see what it shows.
Let you know here if a problem is solved!