A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010

Audi A8 air suspension problem

Old 02-06-2011, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi A8 air suspension problem

I have a 2006 A8 L. The car was sitting in the driveway for a few days when it was cold. Somehow when I used the car on day I had the orange and green light on the dash board. Also the air bag light was on too.

I took it to the dealer and they said that the air compressor has a temperature sensor inside that failed. To fix that they need to replace "air compressor". To do that its about $2400 at the dealer. I was wondering if someone can give me hints or ideas what to do, if there is a cheaper fix.

Also i noticed that some other guys have had the same or similar problems. I don't understand why this car is so sensitive to the weather.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It is to monitor the operating temperature of the air compressor as a safety measure in case there is an air leak which causes the compressor to overheat.
I suspect you could probably pick up a replacement compressor on Ebay or similar or have yours repaired if you can do without the car while it is fixed?

Last edited by Edd W; 02-07-2011 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tony1279 View Post
I have a 2006 A8 L. The car was sitting in the driveway for a few days when it was cold. Somehow when I used the car on day I had the orange and green light on the dash board. Also the air bag light was on too.

I took it to the dealer and they said that the air compressor has a temperature sensor inside that failed. To fix that they need to replace "air compressor". To do that its about $2400 at the dealer. I was wondering if someone can give me hints or ideas what to do, if there is a cheaper fix.

Also i noticed that some other guys have had the same or similar problems. I don't understand why this car is so sensitive to the weather.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Compressor-Audi-...item5d2726d613 ????

+ Find a good independent shop in your area that specializes in German autos and you should be able to save a ton.

I don't have an A8 yet, but am hoping to buy one this year. Whatever the case, threads like these make me appreciate that coughing up $2500-$3500 for some sort of warranty on these vehicles is peanuts compared to expected repair costs.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

^ I just ordered one of those for my '04. Hoping it arrives this week. I'll post up once I've got it installed.

l8r)
Old 02-14-2011, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi A8 air suspension problem

I asked around at other local shops specialized for German cars. They are expensive too, because the air compressor cost too much. These other shops charge about $1800, its less but still too much. I am willing to do it myself, but I don't know how hard it is. I am a handy guy but never worked in Audi before.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi!
Firs of all sorry about my bad english! Hope you understand!
I have a weird problem with my A8 2003 - the suspension is too stiff! It is like riding on rims without tires. Sometimes it`s better-not so stiff, but lately it`s almost all the time stiff. And it`s the same with winter(245/45/18) and summer(235/50/18)tires.
Anybody have the same problem?
Have not done diagnostic yet, planing to do soon as possible...

Aks
Old 02-14-2011, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

where did you buy it
Old 02-14-2011, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by akslionu View Post
Hi!
Firs of all sorry about my bad english! Hope you understand!
I have a weird problem with my A8 2003 - the suspension is too stiff! It is like riding on rims without tires. Sometimes it`s better-not so stiff, but lately it`s almost all the time stiff. And it`s the same with winter(245/45/18) and summer(235/50/18)tires.
Anybody have the same problem?
Have not done diagnostic yet, planing to do soon as possible...

Aks
Could be sucked in emergency running mode (limping mode).
Old 02-15-2011, 12:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tony1279 View Post
where did you buy it
From Estonia. Why?
Old 02-15-2011, 12:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mishar View Post
Could be sucked in emergency running mode (limping mode).
Hmm...don`t understand what that means, sorry, but for more information:
It`s lifting and lowering almost all time normally, but sometimes lifting too slow and then I can hear the compressor doing little too much noise...
Hard to say like that, I understand, have to wait for diagnostic probably and see what it shows.
Let you know here if a problem is solved!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi A8 air suspension problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: