A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A8 air suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
I wouldn't recommend driving with collapsed suspension regardless of what tire you have on the car.
I hear you, but, I had to get my car home from a West suburb of Chicago when a strut popped. 300 miles on pothole-infested I-94. I ended up tearing part of the under belly engine cover apart on a bad pothole as the car rode so low. ****ty ride and warning lights and alarms. Including the old "headlight range" error since the car was so low, it could not compensate.

No other damage though. I considered it an emergency so I did it.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by haggisuk
The struts front to rear also require different pressures to operate and its no surprise that the front is greater at 9.5bar max vs 6.5bar at the rear.
Pressure at each strut depends on the load. Put three persons at the rear seat and some luggage in the trunk and rear pressure will be much higher. Same thing left to right.

Originally Posted by kkrull
By the way if anyone has 265x35x19 tires and drives on the collapsed front suspension the tire's inside edge will rub and eventually be destroyed. I know most don't go that wide on 8.5" rims but looking at one I think even a 255mm width, which is pretty common, would get damaged.
If the rest of suspension is OK that won't happen. Possible if upper arms bushings are really bad.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Pressure at each strut depends on the load. Put three persons at the rear seat and some luggage in the trunk and rear pressure will be much higher. Same thing left to right.
Indeed that is true Mishar thats why I said "Max" that figures are taken from VAS PC documentation for Audi dealers, I mention it to prevent anyone overcharging the struts.

Also the Basic settings test that I talk about bleeds in Pairs or Axle not individually.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Pressure at each strut depends on the load. Put three persons at the rear seat and some luggage in the trunk and rear pressure will be much higher. Same thing left to right. ...
You can also put a whole lot of sacks of ready mix in trunk at Home Depot and watch it do its thing. Great work truck... Or for R&R, indeed when you pull a boat trailer it just goes right back to its normal stance even w/ tongue weight and usual car full of people and stuff. Watch tire and axle loads of course at limits; in any case suspension has some other interesting uses and benefits.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to save yourself some time and trouble by jettisoning the air system for conventional shocks that cost around $850.00. The OEM air system is just too full of holes and problems and will drain your wallet faster than a NY pick pocket.

I converted both of my ARoad cars to the non air system and have never looked back. They ride great and no more worries about what is to go wrong next.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Echidna
You might want to save yourself some time and trouble by jettisoning the air system for conventional shocks that cost around $850.00. The OEM air system is just too full of holes and problems and will drain your wallet faster than a NY pick pocket.
Or buy Toyota.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Echidna

I converted both of my ARoad cars to the non air system and have never looked back. They ride great and no more worries about what is to go wrong next.
Why even buy an Audi then? The air suspension is great and is not problematic. The guys that have problems and follow the sticky end up with working cars that are trouble free for years to come. I haven't found a thread yet where the car was fixed with OEM or Arnolt parts and had an issue again.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just want to confirm that the J403 air compressor relay part number is 4H0-951-253-A. I've googled the heck out of this and searched high and low on AllDataDIY.com and AudiUSAParts.com and can't seem to confirm. eBay lists that part number as a multipurpose relay and Amazon tells me it won't fit my car. Seeing as I want to order one from the USA and have it brought over to the UAE in 2 weeks by a coworker I would like to confirm the part number.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Hannibalacp82
I just want to confirm that the J403 air compressor relay part number is 4H0-951-253-A. I've googled the heck out of this and searched high and low on AllDataDIY.com and AudiUSAParts.com and can't seem to confirm. eBay lists that part number as a multipurpose relay and Amazon tells me it won't fit my car. Seeing as I want to order one from the USA and have it brought over to the UAE in 2 weeks by a coworker I would like to confirm the part number.

Have your co-worker walk into an Audi dealer and buy the genuine part at the parts counter for under $30.00 and bring it to you. That's how we did it in the old days. If the co-worker is not a motorhead, you call the parts dept at a dealer near them and have it waiting and even pre-paid. Why on earth would you risk getting a possible wrong or even junk part off of Amazon? Genuine parts are guaranteed from a dealer, not Amazon.com.
JMHO.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Have your co-worker walk into an Audi dealer and buy the genuine part at the parts counter for under $30.00 and bring it to you. That's how we did it in the old days. If the co-worker is not a motorhead, you call the parts dept at a dealer near them and have it waiting and even pre-paid. Why on earth would you risk getting a possible wrong or even junk part off of Amazon? Genuine parts are guaranteed from a dealer, not Amazon.com.
JMHO.
That is an option for sure. I am not trying to buy the part off of amazon just trying to confirm the part number. Was hoping to get it from Audi USA Parts and save him a trip to a dealer on my behalf.

Quick Reply: Audi A8 air suspension problem