A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A8 air suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can confirm that the partnumber for the relay to the compressor is: 4H0951253A
I bought one a couple of months ago and I am gonna buy another relay now as I am gonna install a new compressor. Not that hard installing the new relay doh. Never done the compressorjob earlier but I guess it is not that hard.

Here is one that I found used here in Sweden. With pictures.
https://www.bildelsbasen.se/?link=it...st_id=24572646
Old 04-30-2016, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by blankhopp
I can confirm that the partnumber for the relay to the compressor is: 4H0951253A
I bought one a couple of months ago and I am gonna buy another relay now as I am gonna install a new compressor. Not that hard installing the new relay doh. Never done the compressorjob earlier but I guess it is not that hard.

Here is one that I found used here in Sweden. With pictures.
https://www.bildelsbasen.se/?link=it...st_id=24572646
Thanks and good luck with the compressor replacement!
Old 05-07-2016, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Air Compressor Problem

I have an 08 A8L and I had the same problem except my car dropped down to about 3 inches from the ground. What I did was take the car to a certified shop and I got the part number from them. I ordered the air compressor from a German parts supplier on EBay for $500.00. I was a mech in the Army, so I change the part myself. All you need to do is remove the front left fog light housing and the front left wheel. Took about three hours. Make sure you use thread tape for everything. After I put everything together and started her up, the car automatically reset itself and adjusted to the regular height. Otherwise you can order the part yourself and take it to a shop that installs aftermarket parts. Sorry don't have the part number handy, I will repost once I find it.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by silverback08
I have an 08 A8L and I had the same problem except my car dropped down to about 3 inches from the ground. What I did was take the car to a certified shop and I got the part number from them. I ordered the air compressor from a German parts supplier on EBay for $500.00. I was a mech in the Army, so I change the part myself. All you need to do is remove the front left fog light housing and the front left wheel. Took about three hours. Make sure you use thread tape for everything. After I put everything together and started her up, the car automatically reset itself and adjusted to the regular height. Otherwise you can order the part yourself and take it to a shop that installs aftermarket parts. Sorry don't have the part number handy, I will repost once I find it.
Keep an eye on it to make sure you're not still losing ride height overnight. A leak in one of the front struts is very common as these get older, and you can burn out your new compressor if you still have a leak.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Also should consider replacing the control relay. At least a hundred threads here explaining why, what and where.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

New oryginal Wabco compressor cost it Poland 2000zł = less then 500$. They sell them in polish Audi dealership as OEM part. Ofc in dealer they cost more than 1000$ but you can buy it stright from Wabco for a half of this

Try to ask your local US or other countries Wabco dealership for that compressor
Old 06-03-2016, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2006 A8L

Hello all, I have both suspensions lights on. But only the front of the car is low. I changed the relay and can hear the compressor coming on now. But my jack mode is still blank and my lift modes don't respond when selected and most of the time they also are unavailable for selection. I have the compressor refurbish kit but I don't want to pay to take it out and that doesn't work either. Please help me Audi family
Old 06-03-2016, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Olew1482
Hello all, I have both suspensions lights on. But only the front of the car is low. I changed the relay and can hear the compressor coming on now. But my jack mode is still blank and my lift modes don't respond when selected and most of the time they also are unavailable for selection. I have the compressor refurbish kit but I don't want to pay to take it out and that doesn't work either. Please help me Audi family
Sounds like a strut is bad. You sure both left and right front sides are down the same amount? Do you have VCDS? Codes would help.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Of all the costs havi ng to do with air suspension issues, the cost to R&R a compressor is quite cheap. Total should be about 1 hour of labor. Of course you could to continue to ignore it and burn up the compressor which means not only will you have to pay for the R&R but you will also need a new/rebuilt compressor. The choice is yours.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your compressor maybe weak and is overheating which is why your lift mode is greyed out and/or can't be selected.

I'd suggest you do a VCDS scan to determine if you have a " leak in system detected" code or only the compressor's "reached temp upper limit" because it is struggling to build pressure.

Quick Reply: Audi A8 air suspension problem