A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A8 air suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts
Default RE: You know that's not the answer he is looking for...... HAHAHA....

Had he read and followed the advice of many who put that information together, he would use the search or advanced search function to find threads and posts that mentioned the #1 failure mode of the WABCO Electronically Controlled Air Suspension (ECAS) compressor which, as you mentioned that I have pointed out in several threads; one or both magnets separate from the interior of the motor shell and can be reattached using JB Weld.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 02-26-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ A6Q
DUB2DY4,

You either have a leak causing the compressor to run extended periods of time, which in turn is burning out said compressor, or you may have what was wrong on one of my A8L's, I drove it up to NJ from South Miami with the same lights and actions you state, I had no leaks of any kind, it was just a worn out compressor motor, it would run at a much lower rate of speed as compared to the others, it would also run shaky, like on/off very quickly, I purchased a used unit off EBay for $120.00 and all was right, after that I read on here by Mr. Bally or Misha, can not remember which, but he stated that the magnets inside the compressor motor would fall off, and the he re affixed them by using J-B Weld, so I disassembled my old one and that was the case, besides all the debris in there also, I used some J-B Weld and now I have a nice spare, and no it's not for sale LOL.

As far as the relay, that is not your problem right now as you state the compressor is running, you should however replace it when and if you replace the compressor, as the relay has been working overtime and heating up, and you would not want it to get stuck on after you replace or repair the compressor.

Here are some on EBay

Johnny J J

4E0 616 007 | eBay
Appreciate the normal response man. Will look into this.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

+2. Literally $20 part. No brainer to me, even preemptively.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi guys I have a 06 a8 with 140k was driving fine for 3 months in the last few day I've noticed the front is on the floor every morning. After I start it it's go up and it's fine today it decided it doesn't want to go up so I've been reading all ur posts and changed the relay and it works again but can't find no leaks in the air bags what else can it be ? Any one
Old 04-02-2015, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Unfortunately it can't be anything else. At least I've never heard first hand that it was.

Try engaging Jacking Mode from the Car Menu and lift one front side at the time. If you hear air venting it is that strut for sure. Also check which side is going down first. It is not likely that both struts are busted at the same time. Buy refurbished strut.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So today I wake to more bad new the car won't even go up how do I test jack mode if it won't lift ?
Old 04-03-2015, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just spoke to an Audi tech and he said its a leveling sensor. Possible? And if so y is the car not going up
Old 04-03-2015, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee Barr
Just spoke to an Audi tech and he said its a leveling sensor. Possible? And if so y is the car not going up
Please read the sticky at the top of the D3 thread. Follow what it says and you will find your answers.
To directly answer your questions:
Possible? Yes.
Y is it not going up? The sensor could be bad. That's why. Is it bad? I don't know. A wire going to it could be broken. The linkage between the sensor and the body/frame could be broken/missing. As the sticky says, you need vcds interface and software to test. Use standard troubleshooting techniques to visibly look for broken parts and wires. As far as which sensor, there are four. Vcds scan would tell you which one if a sensor is the problem.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello everyone! Is there any way I can just go with adjustable coil overs and bypass all the air ride stuff? Make it so no fault codes come on ever again?
Old 08-10-2015, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

Of course, lots of posts on conventional suspension if you search.

Quick Reply: Audi A8 air suspension problem