A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A8L floormat problems leading to car acclerator to get stuck underneath mat

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Audi A8L floormat problems leading to car acclerator to get stuck underneath mat

This is a serious defect with the design of the floormats and I do not know if it is also the problem the the accelerator pedal designed to be so close to the floor, but my father had an incidence in this car in which it kept accelerating to 100 mph on I-75 and he realized that the floor mat (the all weather geunine mats were pushing the accerlerator down, and he grabbed it and pulled it out. This happened twice. And now, it happened to me when I was in S mode and pushing the accerlator down a bit in the 35 mph zone, the car voomed to 60 mph while I tried to push the brake, but the car mat was stuck between both the accerator and the brake pedal, so I quickly let go both pedals so I can pull the mat out, and I had to do this quick or the car would of slammed into another one 50 ft in front of me. I was so angry and mad that those stupid floor mat hooks do not do any good and that the shape of the audi all season floor mat is too small and when the accerator pedal in pushed down its so close to the edge of the mat, that it could potentionally get stuck again if the mat gets off the hooks again.

I bet this feels like the Audi 5000 incidence when the cars were launching without control and the floormat defect was one of the problem. But dont get me wrong, we love our Audis, but this is a BAD and TERRIBLE problem. I want Audi to redo those mat hooks! Anyone have any comments or suggestions of what to do or who to talk to about this, because if my mother was driving it, she would not of known what to do, and it would be a potentially dangerous problem. Our lexus models have better hooks for those mats and the all season mats go all around the pedal but not near it.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So remove the mat.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Comment: imho ur are boarding on idiocy!
Old 05-14-2007, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Best plan ... Sell your car and get off the forum.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:32 AM

Default Radical new A8 mod...floormat removal..or....

...simply remove the spark wires to 2 to 4 of your cylinders so when it get's caught on the mat you don't go VOOOOM!

Is this post a precurser to a lawsuit you are trying to bring against Audi?
Old 05-14-2007, 06:35 AM

That's scary. Get a Lexus. PLEASE.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sounds like PEBSWAS ... there is a TSB for that.

Check the TSB # ST00-p1d

"Ensure that the correct floor mat is placed on the driver's side. Some customers have mistakenly put the passenger front floor mat on the driver's side. The driver's side front mat is the smallest mat in the set of four. The largest mat is the passenger side front mat. You must also secure each mat grommet so that the plastic retaining post is flush with the top of the grommet. It should snap firmly in place when properly installed. Improper mat installation can be a safety hazard to the driver and occupants of the vehicle and can interfere with the operation of the accelerator."

Root Cause:
PEBSWAS (Problem Exists Between Steering Wheel And Seat)
Old 05-14-2007, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

PEBSWAS!!! +1
Old 05-14-2007, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Audi A8L floormat problems leading to car acclerator to get stuck underneath mat

Get real!
Old 05-14-2007, 09:34 AM

Wow! He just got a hard time didn't he.

Quick Reply: Audi A8L floormat problems leading to car acclerator to get stuck underneath mat