A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A8L vs. Phaeton V8.

Old 11-10-2004, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A8L vs. Phaeton V8.

For those of you who may be interested in confirmation of why you bought a D3, here are my impressions. Differences:

Drivability- The D3 is more of a "hug the road" drive whereas the Phaeton is a more comfortable/soft ride. Phaeton steering is not as tight; a little play in the Phaeton.Phaeton is about 800 lbs heavier and about 1" longer as I recall the stats. However the Audi "looks" longer. Mileage quite close.

Electronics- Big minus regarding the Phaeton is the Navigation system; CD's not DVD's used. No names of streets.
Many more electronics in the Phaeton; there are electronic options far beyond the Audi.

Exterior- Both have super paint jobs and interesting and unusual colors available. The Audi is hands down the better "looker." Fit and finish however goes to the Phaeton. Much more truck space in the Phaeton (which is why the A8 has more rear leg room).

Interior- The Phaeton wins here. Absolutely gorgeous use of wood and leather, superior seats. Can't imagine any car for less then $150K doing a better job.
Rear leg space goes to Audi.
Big downer for Phaeton; there is no front center adjustable arm rest. Can't believe VW forgot.
Phaeton's RF window opener is placed too far forward in the door; must lean forward to reach.
The Phaeton has much less roadnoise inside; noticeably quieter.

Climate Control- This goes to the VW. Both heating and cooling is dispersed through out the car not using the usual venting system; no hot or cold air "in your face" unless you select "open the vents." Cabin air is dehumidified automatically. Four seperate and adjustable "heating zones." The heating and cooling of the seats goes to Phaeton. The heated seats will melt CHEEZE set on a setting of 3. Heating, defrosting, and probably cooling is faster in the Phaeton then any car I have driven.

Sound System. The 280 watt system in the Phaeton is second to none; absolutely top notch, never heard anything even close to it before including the 5.1 surround sound DVD system of the Acura.

Both have that wonderful "German V8" sound; boy does one miss that riding a 6 cylinger. Both have superior transmissions to anything else available.

Price- Right now because Phaeton has not sold well to date, big time discounts from VW to their dealers; $10K. Currently selling new for $54K to $58K depending on what price the dealer actually paid for their cars. Is is hard to imagine one will ever be able to buy such a German sedan for these prices again.Which is only $5 to $7K more then a new RL (which by the way has more electronic goodies then both of these German cars combined).

Conclusions; If one wants a "driving machine," its the Audi. If one wants a "highway driver" with top notch audio, its the Phaeton. Sure wish there was a car with all of the "wants" in one car. Suspect you would be way over $150K to do so.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Does Phaeton V8 have driver selectable suspension settings?
Old 11-10-2004, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Does Phaeton V8 have driver selectable suspension settings?

yes, I believe it is either "on the ground" or "normal" but not sure; 2 settings I believe.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sport or soft ride settings too?
Old 11-10-2004, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No, I believe that it has a self-leveling system

and the "self" is the car!!!
Old 11-10-2004, 03:16 PM

Default Re: No, I believe that it has a self-leveling system

Yep, goes down as the odometer needle goes up.
Couple other things. Front doors are not as wide, when you push them open, they stay open.
Reliability. Appears they are as Mr. G. says; "bullet proof." Getting out here Mr. G?
Old 11-10-2004, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Sport or soft ride settings too?

Don't think so; just up and down. The car is on "soft setting" all the time. Absolutely no interior road noise.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Odometer needle? Whats that Mr.R?
Old 11-10-2004, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Odometer needle? Whats that Mr.R?

Westcoast term.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:25 PM

Default The Phaeton is a deal at what you can buy it for.. A new 04 W12 on Ebay for a buy it now $72,000

I like both of these cars very much.. The VW does not sell well and remember the A8 had the same problem, it still does but not like before.. People who spend this kind of money want a name like BMW or Mercedes Benz most of the time even if another car is better.. This is changing however but only a little at a time.. It is hard to see spending so much for a VW, no matter how good the car is.. I drove that W12 VW last year when it first came out.. The sticker was $88,500 but they offered me the car for $81,000.. Now, 10 months later, they offered me a demo W12 with only 7,000 miles on it, "I'll bet it's the same car" for $68,000! I almost did it although I would not trade my A8L for one.. You can now find V8 model Phaeton demos with low miles in the low $50,000 range which is a deal.. These big cars never hold their value.. I will wait another few years for the Maybach to drop.. I have already seen a few Maybach demos selling for $50,000 to $100,000 off the original price which is nuts.. Pity the guy who buys that car new even if he has the money! Mark my word, when that car is only 5 years old, it will sell for the price of a new A8L or W12 sells for now.. Now that will be the deal of deals! Drive one and everything else feels like a 10 year old Toyota next to it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi A8L vs. Phaeton V8.