AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/)
-   -   Audi oil cooler deal between cooler housing and block... (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/audi-oil-cooler-deal-between-cooler-housing-block-2883112/)

Smitty5534 05-08-2015 08:51 PM

Audi oil cooler deal between cooler housing and block...

So I called Audi today to order the double circle seal that goes between oil cooler housing and block. They said you have to buy the whole Oring kit for oil cooler which is 58 bucks. It was a pain in the ass to get cooler off I'm guessing everyone that tears it apart replaces this seal but wanted to get everyone thoughts or maybe someone know how to get just that seal. Thanks guys

dvs_dave 05-08-2015 09:11 PM

You need the aftermarket piece otherwise known as the "Bufkin pipe". Put it into google and all will be revealed.

mishar 05-08-2015 10:02 PM

Pour some coolant stop leak and forget it. If you try to replace that seal you will be dearly sorry. It is ~$12K car, so treat it like that.

dvs_dave 05-08-2015 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by mishar (Post 24684481)
Pour some coolant stop leak and forget it. If you try to replace that seal you will be dearly sorry. It is ~$12K car, so treat it like that.

Sounds like he's already taken the cooler off so a bit late for that....

richard-tx 05-09-2015 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by mishar (Post 24684481)

Sorry, I disagree. That is not a 12k KIA you are working on. It is a 80k-90k Audi. Sure it has depreciated, but it is still a better ride than any KIA ever made.

volvopentaman 05-09-2015 01:22 AM

Please no stop leak stuff, have had enough problems with clogged radiators, overheating problems etc caused By that horrible stuff, that only fixes the problem for a short while.

richard-tx 05-09-2015 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by volvopentaman (Post 24684492)
Please no stop leak stuff, have had enough problems with clogged radiators, overheating problems etc caused By that horrible stuff, that only fixes the problem for a short while.

I agree. Clogged radiators, clogged heater cores, and more can happen with the addition of stop-leak.

Jack88 05-09-2015 01:43 AM

I doubt stop leak will cause any problems unless something was very nearly clogged anyway or you add too much. If it doesn't work when you first put it in, or gives out, I wouldn't add more. In any case, as Dave mentioned, Smitty seems to already have the car apart, and will be doing it properly anyway.

mishar 05-09-2015 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by richard-tx (Post 24684487)
Sorry, I disagree. That is not a 12k KIA you are working on. It is a 80k-90k Audi. Sure it has depreciated, but it is still a better ride than any KIA ever made.

Sorry to spoil your dreams but new KEA is much better car overall for the vast majority of people in this world. Our problem is that we are in love with this cars. But love should have limits. Smart limit is stop leak. It won't clog anything and will save day or two of ultimately unpleasant work with uncertain result.

CWTech 05-09-2015 07:50 AM

We don't all live in Canada. Radiators operating at peak efficiency are important in the southern states. Pay an independent shop the 12 hours of labor to change the part and be done with it.

You might want to change anything else on the front side of the motor at the same time (water pump, timing belt, etc)