A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Parking Brake Release

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Auto Parking Brake Release

I just wonder if you guys use this feature. When stopped in traffic with parking brake on (uphills for example), brake will automatically go off when gas pedal is pressed. US setting doesn't allow that but ROW does. Not absolutely necessary, but nice.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
I just wonder if you guys use this feature. When stopped in traffic with parking brake on (uphills for example), brake will automatically go off when gas pedal is pressed. US setting doesn't allow that but ROW does. Not absolutely necessary, but nice.
Interesting. Never realized it could be enabled by changing the settings to ROW. I read it in the manual but just assumed it was an option not on my car. Means you can be sat at the lights without needing to have your foot on the brake and dazzling the guy behind with your brake lights. I think newer cars might even have an auto dim feature these days?
Old 08-10-2013, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Interesting. Now Audi std. set up apparently.

I found this same feature on the new Q5 while in Europe, and it' in the U.S. manual for it. Presumably it is also in at least the related A/S/RS 4 and 5's, and likely the other models by now. Also just found the the Q's apparently have a form of launch control that perhaps overlap some of the electronics here. Will be trying that when the vehicle gets shipped back since it's comfortably beyond break in miles now.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's involved in coding this?
Old 08-10-2013, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

[53] Parking Brake > Coding > ROW instead of USA/Canada.

It works only in traffic. So you stop, apply parking brake, stay in gear and when you press gas pedal, even just touch it, brake will go off. But if you are parked with brake on and shifter in P you have to release parking brake manually.

I just wonder why this feature is not suitable for North America?
Old 08-10-2013, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Audi 5000 kid pushed thru garage door type nightmare scenario thinking?

Perhaps they were gun shy about anything even remotely connected to the parking brake and gas pedal back then, since that was largely a U.S./60 Minutes phenomenon.

As I mentioned in other reply, it is now enabled for new U.S. Audi's like the Q5. It also ties in to how auto engine shut off/on is now enabled, and indirectly perhaps launch control. All are things that are new since the early millennium D3 design cycle.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
[53] Parking Brake > Coding > ROW instead of USA/Canada.

It works only in traffic. So you stop, apply parking brake, stay in gear and when you press gas pedal, even just touch it, brake will go off. But if you are parked with brake on and shifter in P you have to release parking brake manually.

I just wonder why this feature is not suitable for North America?
I assume it's all about liability for us "stupid Americans."

That said, this sounds really cool, but I somewhat worry about wear and tear on that poor motor......
Old 08-10-2013, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you mean parking brake motor(s), they should be very durable. We are supposed to use them every time when we park our cars, so few thousand times over years. But I think we saved much of those cycles by just shifting in Park.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I didn't realist you couldn't be trusted with it in USA. You do need seatbelt on for it to autorelease here in the EU, so pretty foolproof.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Mishar, thanks for pointing this feature out, how to code?

Nice feature that i always wondered why it wasn't part of the original design. Now i understand it is for the rest of those outside the US.

So, I attempted to revise the coding to RoW and while it accept it, the feature was not activated. I must be doing something wrong. I see there is a note at the bottom of the codes, could someone help a VCDS novice understand what needs to be done.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Auto Parking Brake Release