A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B&O tweeters stuck down, but...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Does anyone know what the purpose of the raising and lowering tweeters is for? For example, are they made out of something that extended UV exposure/high temps would cause to deteriorate? Or is it just for the purposes of being a crowd pleaser and making you feel like the $6k you spend on it was worth it?
Old 03-06-2018, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Does anyone know what the purpose of the raising and lowering tweeters is for? For example, are they made out of something that extended UV exposure/high temps would cause to deteriorate? Or is it just for the purposes of being a crowd pleaser and making you feel like the $6k you spend on it was worth it?
I suspect it's just a cheap (unless they fail) parlor trick; but a good one ! I was even thinking about retro fitting the tweeters, until I listened to a D3 with B&O. Moving the two outer dash speakers (out of three total) into front doors to make room for the levitating tweeters in effect moved the imaging of the music from the 'stage' in front of me to the front doors. I dont like to have my music noticeably emanating from the doors as in the 100/200/V8 models back in the day.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:01 AM
Back axle behind the ears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I'm honest, I'd be pretty pissed off if I'd paid nearly $7k for the B&O system we're talking about here, I personally think it sounds pretty **** tbh, nothing like $7k worth...
And at $7k and only 45k miles, one of my tweeters in the dash is stuck and at least one of my door speakers, maybe more, is farting away like a good'un, I'm assuming it's **** itself and blown, I haven't got round to investigating yet..
I just got rid of a 4.8i X5 to buy my S8 and the sound system in that absolutely pissed all over the B&O system and still went back for seconds...
However, I do prefer the S8 as a car overall but I'm pretty fed up that I have to suffer the inferior sound system, even more so that it's supposed to be the flagship sound system...
Can't have everything I guess...!!
Old 03-20-2018, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mixja23
If I'm honest, I'd be pretty pissed off if I'd paid nearly $7k for the B&O system we're talking about here, I personally think it sounds pretty **** tbh, nothing like $7k worth...
And at $7k and only 45k miles, one of my tweeters in the dash is stuck and at least one of my door speakers, maybe more, is farting away like a good'un, I'm assuming it's **** itself and blown, I haven't got round to investigating yet..
I just got rid of a 4.8i X5 to buy my S8 and the sound system in that absolutely pissed all over the B&O system and still went back for seconds...
However, I do prefer the S8 as a car overall but I'm pretty fed up that I have to suffer the inferior sound system, even more so that it's supposed to be the flagship sound system...
Can't have everything I guess...!!
the door speakers are likely just the foam surround coming apart. I had to refoam two of my door speakers, but after that, they are back to 100%. Less than $12 with shipping for the parts, and a handful of door clips from the dealer, and it was all done.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by tsuter

the door speakers are likely just the foam surround coming apart. I had to refoam two of my door speakers, but after that, they are back to 100%. Less than $12 with shipping for the parts, and a handful of door clips from the dealer, and it was all done.
You make it sound so simple lol...
Trouble with me is I usually end up doing more harm than good if I ever try to repair anything and I'm pretty/very limited with the amount of people I'd trust to even do an oil change on my car here, let alone anything else...!!
Wonder what main dealer will charge to replace the door speakers lol...
Old 03-21-2018, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Door speakers are not hard. You can do that. If you get elsawin it will tell you exactly what to do and as long as you are used to doing as you're told you can't go wrong. I even think my other half could do that quite easily.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by chokboywonda
Door speakers are not hard. You can do that. If you get elsawin it will tell you exactly what to do and as long as you are used to doing as you're told you can't go wrong. I even think my other half could do that quite easily.
That's a bold statement lol...

I'm just **** at fixing cars and even if i were any good, I don't really have the time...
I'd rather just get someone who knows what they're doing to fix it...!!
Old 03-26-2018, 01:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Power to the people!

Just in case they try to charge you $1000
Old 03-26-2018, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by chokboywonda
Power to the people!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU7qwuzEyK8

Just in case they try to charge you $1000
I think he made that look a bit easier than it actually is lol, pretty sure you can't just grab the top of the door card and it simply falls off...!!

Just need a concrete link for the foam then aye...
And a socket set... And a trim removal tool...
Old 03-27-2018, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Quick Reply: B&O tweeters stuck down, but...