A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bang & Olufsen Tweeter (Left) Audi S8 Issue

Old 04-05-2019, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bang & Olufsen Tweeter (Left) Audi S8 Issue

Hi Guys,

I own an audi S8, D3 model from 2008. Of course with the entire Bang & Olufsen sound system. The sound on itself is great, really great.

Unfortunately, just like some of you I've encountered an issue with on of those B&O dashboard tweeters. The driver's side tweeter (Left) has a life of its own. It raises itself when it needs to go down, and lowers itself when it needs to come up. So when you start up the car and the music starts playing, both tweeters should rise simultaneously from the dash. In my case, the right tweeter does this, but the left one is already halflway raised and lowers itself....while the right one reaches it normal position. When you switch off the car, it's the opposite, the right one just drops in the dash like it should, but the left one goes down (was already halfway up)...down...down down...and then comes halfway up again.

I've already removed the tweeter, inspected it from front to back, also checked all the plastic gears, but they all looked fine...no bits missing or anything. So seemed fine.

I adjusted the gears a bit myself to make sure that the left side tweeter at least had the same starting position again as the right hand side tweeter. Kind of expected that re-alignment to work, and it did work for a day.

Despite all this, the problem just came back an hour ago. For some reason, this tweeter is still functional goes all the way up an down with no weird noises or cracks, BUT....it keeps misaligning itself with the other tweeter and the rest of the Bang & Olufsen system.

Do any of you know what could be going on here? Is there a way to reset this?

I hope you can help me.

Regards,

Oembaloem
Old 04-05-2019, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a right side one go odd on me and I just found a replacement from a breaker on Ebay and swapped them.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default ...part 2

and then, all of a sudden the tweeter re-aligned itself while I was away from the car. It did this while it lay on the dashboard (horizontal position) . So now, the tweeter is back in its original vertical position (in the dashboard hole) without the torx screws tightened yet.

I would like to see, if this "fix" is for the long term, before I put everything back.

Still curious to know what could've caused this, and what happened to make it go away.

Any ideas?
Old 04-05-2019, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

@DNovak33510 , that was/is my plan B. Those things are hard to find by the way...
Old 04-05-2019, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi,

i did recently had to clean my speakers and put new grease and it did happend to myself. You may have had a loose bolt/screw on the moving wheel mechanism and when you have assembled it you may have set it up incorrectly. It has 2 steps on the wheel for movement and it has to be in it's lowest position when you are assembling it.

Thanks
Old 04-05-2019, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

@W12BTW Ok. But how does this happen in the first place? At first instance I left my left tweeter totally untouched, it started to act up on itself.

After that, I decided to open it up to see if something was wrong. Didn't see anything, re-assembled everything, also in its lowest position and put it back in the car. The first time everything worked fine...and then it started to act up again, on its own, without me touching it.

So unplugged the tweeter wires again, checked again, re-plugged everything. And in some way, without me being there, it aligned itself again.

So weird.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Ok...you don't have to believe this, but the issue is back.

With the car switched off the left tweeter has risen again to its highest position, while it should've stayed hidden in the dashboard.

Switching on the car (music) makes the left tweeter drop back in the dashboard...

What is causing this?
Old 04-06-2019, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

any ideas on some kind of height sensor issue with the B&O tweeters?
Old 04-06-2019, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Curiously, I’ve now not only joined the S8/D3 “club” - about 2 weeks ago - but one of the B & O tweeters (right) “won’t go up” club. (In separate news the car is in unbelievably great condition and it just might be my favorite automobile I’ve ever owned!). Anyway, I took a very small “pen-knife” and gently tried lifting the tweeter up and, lo and behold, that did the trick. It not only stayed up but after several starts and stops it’s still operating beautifully. Crossing my fingers that that will continue. FWIW.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

@RickyJay52 that's great. Good to hear that did the trick for you. Unfortunately already tried that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bang & Olufsen Tweeter (Left) Audi S8 Issue