Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A8 / S8 > A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion
Reload this Page >

BEM (battery energy mgmnt) SW update ?

A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010

BEM (battery energy mgmnt) SW update ?

Old 01-29-2014, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default BEM (battery energy mgmnt) SW update ?

I am getting my battery coded today in an effort to resolve battery issues. But I am wondering if I should also do the SW update to the BEM that was in a tech bulletin. I have a 2004 A8.

The bulletin states the problem as AMI Batt level reading 10% because something in the BEM drains the battery. I have had 10% reading on the AMI the last to mornings (temp 10F) and the battery measured 11.9V with the multi-meter both times. Nominal reading on my car's battery is 12.2V so 11.9V would not be 90% less would it ? And last nite when I got in the car to go home the MMI read 10% and after the drive home it still read 10% but the battery read 12.2V. So something is not right

Has anyone done the SW update ? Or know how its done ? I have the proper CD disc for the update...is it just a matter of putting the disc in the CD player and following prompts the same way the MMI upgrades are done ?

And if youve done the upgrade did it change BEM behavior?

Last edited by awdinut; 01-29-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have not but I also have a 2004 and have been thinking about doing it myself.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

AFAIK, the update to the BEM is via the official Audi VAS system and a connection to the GeKo servers in Germany. The procedure is called SVM (Software version management).
I stand being corrected though, what CD do you have?

https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/pe...adGekoForms.do
Old 01-29-2014, 01:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've got a quick question: On my '07 I've never been able to locate any battery meter. After checking through all the tabs in the MMI, still no luck. Maybe mine was turned off or something?

2007 A8
Fulton,NY

Last edited by sapman; 01-29-2014 at 01:59 PM. Reason: adrdress
Old 01-29-2014, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default that explains why ...

Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
AFAIK, the update to the BEM is via the official Audi VAS system and a connection to the GeKo servers in Germany. The procedure is called SVM (Software version management).
I stand being corrected though, what CD do you have?

https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/pe...adGekoForms.do
I could not get the CD (4E0 906 961 G) to work in my CD player. I thought it would play the way the MMI update CDs did. But this one identifies on the screen as CD-ROM, but does not do anything.

And I see on the disc it says VAS 5051/5052, but I did not know what VAS meant. So I have to go to the dealer to get the SW upgrade ?
Old 01-30-2014, 01:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Snap is correct, I have had it done, the cd goes in to the VAS system that many indy garages would use, or as i did go to a main dealer, it took them about 15 minutes to do. you will need to be specific about what you want and quote the TSB number. ask them to recode your battery after just to make the BEM reset itself.

see here http://www.audi-resource.com/mmifalsewarn.php for full details

it cannot be done via the mmi
Old 01-30-2014, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 15 min ?

Originally Posted by Limoncello View Post
Snap is correct, I have had it done, the cd goes in to the VAS system that many indy garages would use, or as i did go to a main dealer, it took them about 15 minutes to do. you will need to be specific about what you want and quote the TSB number. ask them to recode your battery after just to make the BEM reset itself.

see here http://www.audi-resource.com/mmifalsewarn.php for full details

it cannot be done via the mmi
I just called the Audi dlr and the service guy said they just did one the other day so he was aware of what I need. And he said they charge 2.8 hours for that upgrade!!! And I asked how long it actually took to do and he said a couple hours.

CAlled another Audi dlr and they say 1-1.5 hours which is less money but still a surprising amount of time/money for a download that is not a multi-disc task like the MMI update. Are you sure it only takes 15 min in reality to actually complete thye process ? 'Cause if thats the case I would think I would be justified in raising thy issue with Audi USA since it is a defective 'part' from the factory and, even though out of warranty, its not right that I should pay $300 to correct.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

You should complain, otherwise how will AoUSA know how bad the dealerships are in the US?
Old 01-30-2014, 07:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

its very quick, they did it free for me beacuase they kept diagnosing it wrong and it was i who found the tsb, maybe it takes a lot less time when they arent getting paid

it only takes 45 minutes to do the latest mmi upgrade, they charge an hour though (sometime 1.5 hours), at the main dealers they dont even have to load the cd, its already a part of their system, they only have to select the update.

even if it took 2.5 hours they only need to start it off then walk away until its complete, only a few minutes work in real time

i would complain anyway, and if you can find an indy dealer with VAS take your cd in and ask them to flash it, will be a lot cheaper.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You can get VAS-PC and do it yourself. Other "only dealer" things too. Except ones that need online connection to Audi. Just don't ask me how. You have to find that yourself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BEM (battery energy mgmnt) SW update ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: