A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blower motor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 12:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blower motor?

I have a lovely '99 A8 4.2 V8, when I turn the ac on it clicks repeatedly and doesn't blow air out. Do I need to replace the blower motor? I have seen some people say that the solar sunroof could be the culprit? Any advice appreciated, including how to track down parts required in the UK.

Thanks, Dan
Old 10-27-2018, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just did this today, saved me a lot of unnecessary removal of other parts. My blower motor only stopped once last week for about 10 minutes but that was long enough for me with my family in the car to go ahead and replace it.

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2018, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A8nightmare
I replaced my blower motor recently. When I got it out the brushes were gone. I got a new one in and it works, but I still think I have a problem with the blower resistor control module, which is right next to the blower motor. Anyways here's exactly how I got mine out no need to remove wipers.

Remove the torx screws from inside the blower top housing(where the cabin filter sits). There are 3 or four inside the housing. There are a couple along the outside edge and there are a couple pain in neck ones to get under the wireharness attached around the housing. There is one hidden on the right hand side underneath the sensor towards the back corner. You can pop the sensor out to get at it. Further the manufactured posts that attach the wiring(where they are zip tied at) can be removed instead of trying to cut the wire ties. You have to use pickel fork under the posts and slide firmly straight off. The plastic posts have a one way pinch washer on them and can be slid back on. Don't try and wiggle them off you will break the molded post off.

Once you get that rectangle housing out of the way you will see the blower and black plastic housing around it. Remove the two torx screws you can get at on the front of the housing corners, but there are two in the back that you will wonder how in th *** am I going to get to them. This is where you can cheat it out and back in, but it takes a little time. I used a 1/4 torx bit and attached a 1/4 swivel adapter to it. You can get it on the torx screw and then use swivel the adapter moving it to the side like a wrench to give you the torque to get it loose. Once it is loose you can get it out with finger strength.

Now once you get both of those out you can bend the plastic blower guard out with attached blower guard rings. Don;t worry you won;t break it just bend it towards you and you will be bending the blower box as well to get it out. Once that's out you will see a big metal center clamp holding the blower in place. There is a 12mm? with a philips head attaching it. There is another one behind it, but don;t bother trying to get it off. Just bend the clamp up enough to slip the blower out. Unplug it and put your new one back in. Bend the clamp down and put it back together.

One last thing when putting it back together remove the two blower shield circlular rings from the plastic housing. When you pry the plastic blower shield in place its a lot easier getting it centered and in correclty with those two blower rings off. Put them back in once you have the blower housing back in place. The screw on the right one is a pain to get back in, but you can do it with a little patience.

Total time out and back in 1.5hrs

Good luck!!
Using these steps saved me the time, thanks again!
Old 08-15-2019, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So my blower is screwed up somehow, but don’t want to replace it if it’s not actually the blower. I believe it is, but not for sure yet. I haven’t scanned for any codes yet, but this is what it does.

When I turn on my car, it will begin blowing air like normal. Everything adjusts fine when I change any of the controls. After about a minute or two, the blower will begin to slow down, and eventually shut off completely, even when I have it on full blast. It starts making a knocking noise when it slows down as well. If I turn on the controls for the air for about 1 minutes, and turn it back on, blower will come on, and after another minute or two it will die down again. Could it just be an overheating motor?
Old 08-15-2019, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

This winter I was having many problems like u mentioned and others. I replaced the blower and after a week it started having a mind of it's own again. I replaced the blower resistor and put the old original blower back in and it works like a charm. I bought the original resistor on e bay and have not had any problems. Good luck.

Thanks

Diego