A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth causes Radio to Cut Out Sound HELP (2005 A8)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth causes Radio to Cut Out Sound HELP (2005 A8)

Hello Fellow A8 Owners,

I just bought a 2005 A8L. When I first got the car paired my Motorola cell phone to the car's bluetooth by finding the Audi bluetooth signal with my phone and entering the 1234 passcode. The bluetooth works and I can make and receive calls using the MMI.

However, when the phone is paired to the MMI it seems to cause the radio sound to cut out for 1-2 sec every couple minutes. It is almost as if the phone and MMI are re-paring with each other.

When I leave the phone home or turn off bluetooth the radio does not have this problem.

I've looked on the forums and it seems that other people with 2005 A8s have had this issue but I could not find a resolution.

Any advice, suggestions, or help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome!

What version of MMI software you have? Upgrading to the last version (4610 for North America) should be a fix.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thank you!

I'll have to check the version when i get home tonight. If I need a MMI update, is the dealer the best source? What should it cost?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Buy CD's here and do it yourself. It is easy.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

My 05 A8L did the exact same thing. I first thought it was the tall buildings cutting the XM off but to my dismay, it was the bluetooth module. I was running 1070 when I purchased my vehicle. It is really your bluetooth module not functioning 100%. I upgraded my software to 4610 but I could not complete the disk 1 upgrade. It would give me an error message. I have come to find out that disk 1 upgrades the blue tooth and disk 2 upgrades the MMI.

My situation was that the my Motorola Droid Razr Maxx would pair and then unpair on an endless 2 or 3 minute cycle. While the phone was pairing and unpairing, it would cut the radio off. I could unpair and repair the phone and it would work for a couple of days and revert back to the cycle at some point.

I repaired the phone but when my phone ask me permission to download the address book, I wont respond and the phone has worked ever since with no issues other than not having your address book in your MMI. I kind of like not having my whole phone book to scroll through while I'm driving. I just programmed a few important contacts into the MMI.

The complete repair would be to replace the BT module but I'm really thinking about getting a Denison gateway because I don't have AMI. We could add a Denison Gateway and it would have BT phone, streaming, and ipod/usb interface for music storage.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

TShong that is so funny you say that! I had my radio cutting out all the time when I purchased the car in Chicago. The dealer said it was due to tall buildings. Mine was infact a bad bluetooth module that would cause the system to cut out and also affected the navi, and any audio device. Replaced the bad BT module and everything worked perfectly.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default radio help

Originally Posted by Brozee
TShong that is so funny you say that! I had my radio cutting out all the time when I purchased the car in Chicago. The dealer said it was due to tall buildings. Mine was infact a bad bluetooth module that would cause the system to cut out and also affected the navi, and any audio device. Replaced the bad BT module and everything worked perfectly.
I just brought a 08 Q7 with a similar radio problem from a private seller. The radio worked fine during the test drive etc. The next day I get intermittent interruptions. I called an Audio dealer and spoke to someone in parts and they didn't even know what a Bluetooth ECU was. I am in the Chicago area. Can you advise where I can get a replacement part and have it installed so that I can truly enjoy the vehicle.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RODK
I just brought a 08 Q7 with a similar radio problem from a private seller. The radio worked fine during the test drive etc. The next day I get intermittent interruptions. I called an Audio dealer and spoke to someone in parts and they didn't even know what a Bluetooth ECU was. I am in the Chicago area. Can you advise where I can get a replacement part and have it installed so that I can truly enjoy the vehicle.
Absolutely, if you have VCDS, just run an optical run test. It will run though all the connections and see where there is a break or fault. I didn't even think or know that this test existed when buying my W12. Wish it had or I could have negotiated more off the price. Regardless it isn't a bluetooth ECU, but rather the bluetooth module which is under the driver side carpeting. The part wasn't cheap and ran around $800. Either way, that was my issue and once it was replaced the optical loop test ran perfectly fine and restored all functionality to the modules that were interfered with which was just about all of them.

Hope it helps, just make sure it is in fact the bluetooth module that is bad, and not just a break in the optical loop or another affected module. I've heard of one member who added the AMI unit, and snapped the optical cable when attaching it and he received the same issue. Replaced the cable and all was well.

This is where it really pays off to have the VCDS cable and a laptop. Too bad I'm not in Chicago or I'd help. There are a few members on here that are and offered me help when I was in Chicago. Really great group of guys on here (the old group of originals).