A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth crackling

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth crackling

Hi.
I retrofitted the bluetooth module 4E0862335 to replace my motorola setup and all seemed to go well and it works but I hear a bad crackling noise through the speaker when I am making a call, I can hear this when the phone is ringing and when it is answered. The other end says that the call is clear from their end but it is annoying for me. The motorola sounded very very clear.

Do you think it could be the module (sourced from ebay 2nd hand) or one of the connections perhaps?

No errors show up with VAGCOM. I'm tempted to buy another module but they are not terribly cheap to just purchase on the off chance.....

Cheers
Old 01-09-2012, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quick research shows that part number being superseded to this

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-D3_A8-...ace/ES2523880/

In my experience Bootooth (like Whyfi) gets hinky based on distance, signal, and even the most minor interference.
Have you tried locating the phone differently and/or upgrading OS and firmware ?

Also what version of MMI ?
Old 01-09-2012, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default What phone (and MMI rev.) is it? ...General bluetooth observation

What phone do you have?

More generally, the board seems to have had kind of a run of posts where the going assumption with any bluetooth hiccup invariably is there is an issue w/ the car's bluetooth system. Yet, the subsequent posts and follow up more often seem to conclude it's the phone, not the car. If yours is a Motorola still by chance, my specific history with Motorola V1s, V9's and other older pre smart Motorola brand phones--across several family members' worth of phones--is the phone has definite issues 12-18 months in that cause call quality to fall off a lot. Almost like they were designed to crap out by the time the two year deal expired.

Sounds like here w/ a module swap out, you have more reason to suspect the car side, but I would always test the system against a known good phone that works on some other bluetooth capable vehicle (or at least a second phone if you have no other vehicle to check the phone against) before concluding the issue is on the car side.

Nonetheless, on the car side, per jakematic's reply, what version of MMI do you have? The 4140 release (and since then, incorporated into 4610) had as one of its main purposes cleaning up then-known bluetooth compatibility issues. If you are back at 3360 or earlier, you may want to look into updating MMI given your issues.

Meanwhile, FWIW, I have never had any crackling type issues w/ mine other than when it is obviously a weak signal, usually w/ a dropped call some seconds later. My MMI is on the current (final?) rev, and has always been within one rev. of current.

Finally, from the repeated recent posts of iPhone issues with a common theme of IOS5, per one of the posts, the other day I cleared all my paired devices and then relinked. So far so good on the prior (post IOS5 "upgrade") dropped call problem, but it's only been a day and a call or two so far. If you installed a new module, presumably you had to re pair anyway.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-09-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi. Thanks for the replies.
Currently using a Samsung Galaxy S2 running latest firmware and have also tested using an iPhone 4 running latest iOS. Same result with both.
The car is running the latest Aus/Euro MMI version 5xxx (cant recall exact number) but I may run the DVDs again as the update was applied while the old module (motorola was installed) so it only accepted DVDs 1 and 3. After the Bluetooth module was retrofitted it accepted and I ran DVD2 but I didnt rerun DVD 1 and 3 (Didnt think I would have to)

Moving the phones within the car doesnt make any difference but it could be possible that the Bluetooth antenna on the module could be loose or something, will check that again also when I am motivated to remove the seat etc lol.

Cheers
Old 02-12-2018, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I realize this is 6 years old, but did you get it resolved? I have the oppisit issue, the car side is clear and the caller side is crackly. I have tried 2 different BT units and multiple phones.

Still searching
Old 02-12-2018, 09:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sswari
I realize this is 6 years old, but did you get it resolved? I have the oppisit issue, the car side is clear and the caller side is crackly. I have tried 2 different BT units and multiple phones.

Still searching
To be honest I don't think it did get resolved but I sold the car not long after. Hope you find the problem. :-)
Old 02-12-2018, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sswari

Still searching
I did this retrofit a month ago and had the same problem as the OP. I figured out that the module I bought was coded for A6. I recoded it for A8 and then the problem disappeared.
If you had the module factory-fitted and didn't have this problem at first but then it suddenly happened, then this may not be a solution for you. Still, it may help others in the same situation.

From what you are saying, if I understood well, you may have a microphone issue. That is, if you can hear the other caller perfectly, but the other caller can't hear you clearly.

Did you try to talk directly in the (fixed) phone to see if the problem goes away?