A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bluetooth installed in my 04 d3 in less than 30 seconds!!

Old 03-12-2006, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bluetooth installed in my 04 d3 in less than 30 seconds!!

Ok, I guess it is my time to contribute to this forum after getting so much info here.

I have a friend who works for motorola and was able to modify the bmw v60 bluetooth upgrade module to work in my audi. The upgrade module is shaped like a v60 and plugs into the cradle under the arm rest. Please note, the module only worked correctly after modification by him.

The unit works perfectly. You simply plug it into the cradle, wait 10 seconds for it to power up, enter the access code and BINGO bluetooth! You can now use the voice commands that will interface with the phone- "dial", "call", nametags, etc. All of the commands that are displayed when you click on the name/telephone buttons in MMI.

You can also use the steering wheel button to accept calls, internal speaker & mic. It works just like the audi v60! Now the bad news, unlike BMWs, you can not download your addressbook into the A8.

The module is currently only sold at BMW dealers for $295 and is currently massively backordered due to high demand. mercedes is also going to use this product and is trying to build stock before releasing. Audi, I was told by my friend, doesnt have any plans to introduce it (I guess they simply ignore their past customers!!).

Like I said, unfortunately for our audis, there is some code that needs to be modified for it to work in our cars.

anyone want to purchase a great condition v60s audi phone, please email me. the phone still has the plastic on the screen.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Very cool, what was needed to modify it? Software or hardware?
Old 03-12-2006, 08:17 AM

Bluetooth in my D3 would be devine!
Old 03-12-2006, 11:38 AM

Default I use the BTUM Module in my 745i and it really does work.

I was skeptical at first, but the thing really works. I was able to replace my V60 phone and switch to my Motorola Razr that I was already using in my other BY compatible car. I wondered if anyone would figure out a way to use it for other manufacturer's cars.

Be advised, there is a rather short list of phones that the BTUM is said to be compatible with (Razr, E815, etc.), so people want to make sure that they are using a listed phone before taking the plunge. If you are using a compatible phone though, pairing is SIMPLE.

I tried to get the BT Module through my dealer, but it was backordered, as you mentioned. I was able to get it from Morristown BMW in NJ on eBay. I believe they still have some units listed, if anyone is interested.

(As a side note, I still have my Verizon V60 from my A8L -- Audi logo and all -- if anyone is interested in a good deal on it. I just never sold it when I parted with the car.)
Old 03-12-2006, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Do you mind letting us know what the mod is????

Like details etc.....
Old 03-12-2006, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Re: Very cool, what was needed to modify it? Software or hardware?

Silly question:

Why are many so concerend with Bluetooth and the built-in phone system for their A8L's? I have a Sprint cell phone that costs me $49/month for 800 anytime minutes and unlimited minutes at night. I can carry the thing on my belt. When in the car, I pick it up and talk on it. I don't have the bluetooth headset, I have the free earbud that I can plug in and use or the phone has the speaker deal that works fine for long trips.

What am I missing here???

I'm not trying to be sacrastic, I just have no desire whatsoever to buy an expensive additional phone that has to plug into the car. And, since the car has onstar, I can be called if my cell is not working. I do realize that the analog on-star system goes bye-bye in a year or two, so, then I may have to rely on my Sprint system.

Please enlighten me.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:39 PM

I will ask tomorrow- I think it was a firmware flash update, so software
Old 03-12-2006, 05:59 PM

Default here is what you are you missing...

mister bally- its just like the keyless go option, power windows, automatic headlights, automatic windshield wipers, auto close trunk, popup trunk, keyless fob to unlock/lock doors, using fob to roll down windows, roll up windows... and countless other options.

do you "really" need any of these items?- no.
will your car drive faster, corner better with these options?- no.

are they nice convience options to have- yes to all of them.

if you simply wanted transportation to take you from one place to the next, get yourself a more reliable honda civic or toyota camry. Audis are even much more expensive than those two cars.

you are now "enlightened"
Old 03-12-2006, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Re: here is what you are you missing...

Thanks for the reply sc_trojan,

but, I still don't understand why anyone would want a phone "installed" in their car when the one they carry can do everything and they would only have one phone number. I know call forwarding is available, but I just don't see the logic at all. After thinking about it, *maybe* a cliped in phone is better as you don't drain a portable phone's battery. Still, I just don't see that as being an issue with most phones allowing several hours of talk time.

Thanks, but, I'm still missing something.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Another alternative...

My Verizon LG phone is unobtrusively fixed to my dashboard to the left of the steering wheel (see picture #13 in my picture poster) using a small cell phone magnet. In the car it responds to voice commands in its "driving" mode, providing me full access to its address book. The speaker and microphone are perfectly adequate to have conversations while underway. Checking the screen is also easy. Either that, or I can just hold it in my hand. Leaving the car, I just take it with me. Cost: $9.95 for the magnet. I don't need no stinkin' bluetooths.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bluetooth installed in my 04 d3 in less than 30 seconds!!