A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth phone module retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the main question was not if these modules are working in the car (because I know they will), but if any of these is compatible with the car phone (not the one with monochrome display, but the one with color display, for which I provided the part number in an earlier reply).
Old 06-06-2016, 08:34 AM
Engineer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Any MOST BT device will work with MMI 2G High.......

that the one with the LCD screen that pops up all A8 D3 is MMI 2G High

once its a 4E0/4F0 BT with MOST will work, you will need to do a complete retrofit if you didnt have one before. that power ground ringbreak diag microphone information already located in this forums
Old 06-06-2016, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

I know that already, and you are not answering my question, which is this.

Short: I want to know what do I need to change in order to use the Audi phone with color display (right now I have the classic phone module with Audi/Motorola phone with b/w display).
Old 06-06-2016, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by silkworm

Short: I want to know what do I need to change in order to use the Audi phone with color display (right now I have the classic phone module with Audi/Motorola phone with b/w display).
The days of the fixed phone in are car are basically over
Hassle of extra simm phone account
Old 06-06-2016, 09:22 PM
Engineer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by storka
+1

Go Bluetooth Pair your phone and keep it moving..... anything else you're pissing in the wind.....
Old 06-07-2016, 01:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by storka
Well, that was not the question, was it?

Fixed phone has its own advantages over the Bluetooth solution (it's always there, always charged so you can always rely on it, gsm signal is much better), and if you have a good subscription, then you can divert your calls to your mobile phone for free (at least that's my case) when you are not in the car (and the phone is off). You can also have the subscription on another provider so you can be sure that you can still communicate if you reach an uncovered area or if something happens to the network used by your mobile phone.

For Bluetooth phones you have to worry about the battery and charger, gsm signal (for Bluetooth units that don't have an external gsm antenna, and many don't), connection drops (especially when your phone is in your laptop along with other wireless devices), compatibility issues, you have to pair every new phone and may discover that the car can't read contacts from your new much-desired and beloved phone until some long-awaited firmware update appears.

But that's not what it's about. I just want that phone installed, and I can use some help from those of you who can and are willing to.

I mean, I already have the phone with b/w display, and now I want to upgrade it, not to get rid of it.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Not sure any one has bothered.
I actually have a usb charging port in center console and use a Samsung phone on the rsap Bluetooth which uses the original car Ariel. So I can use that with stronger signal or divert through it or just use my iPhone which does not work with rsap.
Here at kafatec it says only with pr code 9zw
https://www.kufatec.com.au/shop/en/a...fit-audi-a8-4e
You may have to trawl through eBay to find the cradle and go from there
Or contact kafatec they may point you in the right direction

Actually says it goes with this https://www.kufatec.com.au/shop/en/a...fit-audi-a8-4e

So does the phone have the sim mounted in it to be used like a normal mobile away from the car ?
If so just get a rsap Bluetooth module with most connection.
Don't know what you have in there now
If it's the old fixed phone you have to swap the plug from 52 to 42 pin or something. Google a8 d3 Bluetooth retrofit plenty written about it.
You have the cradle for the new phone ?
Does it just require power ?
If so splice in to the old phone power or rear lighter.
Should be good to go
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
up to week 35 08.pdf (154.9 KB, 348 views)

Last edited by storka; 06-07-2016 at 04:27 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Great Information in that pdf file, but it will be even greater if you can provide me the part number of the item no. 11 (R36).
Old 06-17-2016, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Great Information in that pdf file, but it will be even greater if you can provide me the part number of the item no. 11 (R36).
No sorry
Does your handset have the sim like a normal mobile phone ?
Seems to be three different model
Old black and white
Colour screen but still remote sim
And a later colour screen phone
Old 08-03-2016, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Know this was a while ago but I have just installed the Motorola colour Audi phone in the arm rest.
Don't know know if it's really worth doing. Don't know if it's it's the GSM or later.
Already swapped out the fixed phone for a used Audi rsap Bluetooth unit ages ago but still liked the idea of have a permanent phone in it.
I already had the arm rest insert and wiring from a used arm rest unit I bought previously.
There are at least two versions of the colour phone.
One with the sim in the armrest and a later one with the sim in the phone which is what I used.
Basically 4 wires red black green and grey to the charger.
Took it to the local electronics "guru " to find out how it was wired.
After two weeks he said he did not know it must be broken.
Anyway using a 9 volt battery and some wire concluded
Red pos obviously power on always wire, used existing red from old fixed phone connection
Black neg also obvious , looped this to lighter also. The black on the old fixed phone is not earthed any more ,
Green pos also but has to be wired to ignition on power only, cut this in on cig lighter.
Grey is the red light on the release button, also used the grey from old fixed phone as this only powers up when lights are on and would be correct voltage for the tiny led.
So this pairs with the Bluetooth no problem and works 100%
Phone will only work with the car and not as a mobile phone.
Turns on when the car is started and turns off a few minutes after the car is turned off, must be when the Mmi shuts down.
The only annoying thing is when it turned off and you pair a normal cell phone it will turn on and pair first next start of the motor. on the plus side it it using the car antena for a stronger signal. Ideal for Australia where it is a long way between towns and cell towers.
Installed in arm rest
Connected

Connected

SIM card goes in the end slot

No sim slot

Light on

Older model colour phone with sim holder and four cable connection for newer model with sim

Last edited by storka; 08-03-2016 at 10:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth phone module retrofit