A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth phone module retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 12:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I didn't see your last message until now. Nice work!
If it isn't too much to ask, can you please tell me the part number of your Bluetooth unit? And also the part number of the phone with color screen?
Old 12-20-2017, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by silkworm
Sorry, I didn't see your last message until now. Nice work!
If it isn't too much to ask, can you please tell me the part number of your Bluetooth unit? And also the part number of the phone with color screen?
not sure of the part number now but make sure its the one with the simm card in the phone not in the holder.
ebay Germany is a good place to search
Old 12-20-2017, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was actually more interested in the part number of the Bluetooth module (with RSAP) that you have.
But you can find easily the part number for your phone also - it is written in the battery compartment.
Also, do you have MMI 2G or 3G?
Thanks.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I was actually more interested in the part number of the Bluetooth module (with RSAP) that you have.
Thanks.
Sorry to 'poke in' to this thread but to try and answer your question, here are the 2G Phone units used in Europe. All had MOST connection and fitted under left seat in A8s. Same parts used in other Audi models but not sure if 9ZJ or 9ZW were original fit on North American vehicles.

HW Part 4E0 862 333x [Option 9ZJ] : known as "TELEFONMODUL EU" in VCDS/Red menus. Original Cell Phone unit using 'SIM reader' in armrest and car hifi to talk and listen. Optional Bluetooth Motorola handset in the armrest. This unit only supports Bluetooth to allow the optional Motorola Handset to participate - probably for back seat executives. This ECU has Purple [for external roof aerial] and yellow [for BT aerial in armrest] connectors. Latest firmware = 0770

HW Part 4E0 862 335 [Option 9ZF] : known as "Handyvorb2" in VCDS/Red menus. Later A8 Bluetooth unit that did away with optional handset and allowed Bluetooth phones to connect. This ECU only has a yellow ['circuit board' BT aerial] connector. Latest firmware = 1130

HW Part 4F1 862 335 [Option 9ZW] : known as "BTA" in VCDS/Red menus [and known as RSAP unit]. Even later BT phone connect ECU 'borrowed' from A6 [hence 4F.. prefix to HW part number]. Different BT ECU with connection to external aerial. This ECU has Purple [for external roof aerial] and yellow [for 'circuit board' BT aerial] connectors. Latest firmware = 1120

All three units were MOST bus connected; the latter two BT units had the same electrical connects that were different to the original unit's but as described elsewhere could be converted by 'pin mapping'.

Julian

Last edited by JulianHicks; 12-21-2017 at 12:24 PM. Reason: corrections for RSAP
Old 12-22-2017, 02:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Not sure about any of the above but if anyone wants the phone and cradle for free I have one growing a beard in my garage
Old 01-28-2018, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JulianHicks
Sorry to 'poke in' to this thread but to try and answer your question, here are the 2G Phone units used in Europe.

No need to apologize - your contribution is most welcome. It is not my thread anyway - I 'poked in' as well.

I ordered the latest version of the Bluetooth module (4F1 862 335), but I already have the first version (the one with Motorola Phone in the armrest) and I forgot that their connectors don't have the same number of pins, so now I am looking for the 54-pin connector to swap the old one.
Anyone knows the P/N for that?

I found out that it's the same connector as for TV-tuner and rear-view camera.
Thank you.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

I ordered the latest version of the Bluetooth module (4F1 862 335), but I already have the first version (the one with Motorola Phone in the armrest) and I forgot that their connectors don't have the same number of pins, so now I am looking for the 54-pin connector to swap the old one.
Anyone knows the P/N for that?
I believe the part number is as follows [quoted from UK forum]:

"Just buy part number 8K0 051 592 for the 54 pin connector to make it a tidy job. "

Edit: I quoted that part in good faith from another reliable forum but as the OP points out below, it's incorrect. The correct part is 4E0 972 144

Julian

Last edited by JulianHicks; 08-15-2018 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Insert correct part number
Old 01-30-2018, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's not the correct part number.

The correct part number is 4E0 972 144, but now I want to find out if that is the P/N for just the connector housing, or for the whole connector (including the blue 'core' with pin holes). I doubt it will come with the necessary pins, but that won't be a problem.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I found reference to someone who made the connection without the connector by relocating the pins in the old connector to match those that the BT unit requires:

Get the 36-pin connector for the BT kit and the 42-pin connector for the old kit side by side and pop the following pins from the old connector into the new positions on the old connector leaving the rest behind.

OLD - NEW
33 - 14 - Diagnostics
42 - 11 - MIC +
41 - 12 - MIC -
15 - 10 - Terminal 31 (or Earth to the rest of us)
16 - 2 - Terminal 31
35 - 1 - Terminal 30 (or +12V for real people)

Pin 3 on the new connector is a 'remote on' for the aerial amplifier which I don't think I have as there was no associated cable on the old kit as it had a built in unit.

Julian

Last edited by JulianHicks; 08-15-2018 at 03:43 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, I saw that. However, I don't like to do any retrofit in other style than the original. For instance, the 'electronic box' (plastic box in which the telephone module is located) is much larger than the new, bluetooth module. There is a special foam to fill the gap - its P/N is 4E0 035 733 C, and I paid for it less than $25 at the dealership.

Now, about that pinout... I have a better conversion (which should be more suitable for those who have the cradle with SIM card reader as it has more wires)... but use this information at your own risk!:
42-pin (old connector) to 54-pin (new connector) conversion:
42-pin - 54-pin
07–– leave it unconnected (Data +)
08 –––– 10 (TCU-GND)
15 –––– 32 (KL31 / GND)
16 –––– 33 (KL31 / GND)
28 –––– leave it unconnected (Data -)
29 –––– 03 (CNT RL)
33 –––– 14 (Diagnostics)
35 –––– 01 (KL30 / +12V)
36 –––– 01 (or leave it unconnected) (KL30 / +12V)
37 –––– 02 (KL31 / GND)
41 –––– 12 (MIC-GND)
42 –––– 11 (MIC +)

If you want to know the reason why I came up with a better conversion you may continue to read, otherwise you can stop here.
First, the new unit has +12V on pin 1 and -12V (GND) on pin 2. So pin 2 will be the main ground. The old, 42-pin connector had pin 37 as main ground (as you can see in the attached pictures) and the other two brown wires are for additional ground (for various sub-systems). Of course, it's the same ground, but the main ground has a thicker wire for heavier load. This doesn't matter anymore because in manufacturer's specifications, the +12V wire is as thin as the others (you can connect both +12V wires from the old connector for a heavier load, but that's not really necessary because in the original schematics there is only one thin wire for +12V on the new unit), but still, pin 37 was the main ground on the old connector and it's logical to connect it to the main ground on the new connector.

Pins 8 and 29 from the old connector are not present in other conversions that you may find on the internet, but if your car has them, then you may find above the proper corresponding pins on the new connector.

Pins 15 and 16 are ground pins. There are many ground pins on the new connector, but pins 32 and 33 are the best match, as I needed two consecutive pins whose positions were just right for the length of the two wires. This makes these two wires to be the only wires assigned to row #2 of the connector. If you want to have a single-row connector, then you have to find other ground pins for that.

Pins 7 and 28 from the old connector are the only ones who will be left unconnected, because they are related to the SIM card which, on the new unit, is not located in the cradle anymore (it resides in the phone instead).
Attached Thumbnails Bluetooth phone module retrofit-42-pin-connector-pins-1-21-.jpg   Bluetooth phone module retrofit-42-pin-connector-pins-22-42-.jpg  

Last edited by silkworm; 02-01-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth phone module retrofit