A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bose & B&O System Upgrade Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rowlie
... but unless you park and listen with the engine off, it seems to me that any system will be compromised in a car. Once I'm underway and my ears have attuned to the road noise, I can't hear the subtleties anyway....
That's why for me a car's sound system just needs to be LOUD and CLEAR. (yes, I'm part of the "if it's too loud, you're too old" generation)

With that said, one of the best factory installed sound systems I've heard is in my buddies '07 Acura TL-S.

l8r)
Old 11-03-2010, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am thinking about doing a similar thing in my A8, i very much look forward to your updates.

Ricky
Old 12-02-2010, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bump!

Originally Posted by Tip1
I am thinking about doing a similar thing in my A8, i very much look forward to your updates.

Ricky
I was in a writing mood today instead of a Service Mood which has been the case as of late. Laters,
Old 12-02-2010, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

In my experience, the quality of Bose systems varies widely from manufacturer to manufacturer. The Bose system in my Grand Prix, for lack of a better word: sucks. Tinny treble and no bass. On the contrary, I found the Bose system in my Q45 to be exceedingly pleasant to listen to and the one in my D3 even more so than that.

I think Bose' problem is that they'll make a system for any budget so if an entry level manufacturer contacts them, they're not going to turn down the business; they're just going to give them garbage.

I find the audio quality in my D3 to be great. It's stock, it works and it works well. That and it's a pain in the proverbial butt to change, as you're finding out.

I'll save my pennies for the upgrade to B&O when I go S8. I gotta save the pennies for the S8 first though!
Old 12-03-2010, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mike_k
In my experience, the quality of Bose systems varies widely from manufacturer to manufacturer. The Bose system in my Grand Prix, for lack of a better word: sucks. Tinny treble and no bass. On the contrary, I found the Bose system in my Q45 to be exceedingly pleasant to listen to and the one in my D3 even more so than that.

I think Bose' problem is that they'll make a system for any budget so if an entry level manufacturer contacts them, they're not going to turn down the business; they're just going to give them garbage.

I find the audio quality in my D3 to be great. It's stock, it works and it works well. That and it's a pain in the proverbial butt to change, as you're finding out.

I'll save my pennies for the upgrade to B&O when I go S8. I gotta save the pennies for the S8 first though!
Once again I would say that for the Majority of Music Listener who owns an Audi w/Bose Sound Systems will be happy with it and it is an Improvement over the D2 or Concert Series Systems. I would go Further to say if given the Choice between Bose & B&O then by all means take the B&O because it is Better in Sound Quality and Power. However, for anyone who is Demanding SQ with a Higher SPL from their System then there is a way to Bypass these Stock Systems and that's what I did. Sure it's going to cost you time and money, but doesn't most of the Mods to appearance? This is no different except it's about Sound Quality like a Set of New Wheels, it does require Work or paying a Professional to do the Job. I chose the Later and just wanted to share it for those who want more and there are some who do! There are People who have changed their Systems in other Cars before the Integration of Units in Newer Automobiles and would not hesitate to do it now. Most are Duped into believing they're stuck, but don't believe the Hype! If I were given the Choice to Buy an Audi without either System I would order it with just the Bose Amp & the 12" Sub leaving everything else out in a Heart Beat, but we don't have that option do we? Enjoy your Bose and I'm glad that you are satisfied with it. Take care & laters,

Last edited by williebone; 12-03-2010 at 04:56 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm looking for ways to quiet the cabin...did the addition of the mat panels apreciably make the cabin of your A8 more quiet than before when driving without any music playing?
Old 12-03-2010, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Big Difference!

Originally Posted by awdinut
I'm looking for ways to quiet the cabin...did the addition of the mat panels apreciably make the cabin of your A8 more quiet than before when driving without any music playing?
Indeed it did, but I could've done more and was battling with using The RaamMat Method which if I hadn't already spent money on the Audio Barrier and applied it I would've used Rick's Product. The Mrs. put the kabosh on my Spending at the time and Audio Barrier was a Better Buy for what I had to Budget for the Project. I still may consider adding the RaamMat Cloth now that they have the Peel & Stick. All & All, I'm very Happy with the outcome and since it turned out to be the Best Buy, I will support the Product.

I could've done more, but I will say on a Percentage Scale that it is about 70% quieter. When I say that I could've done more here's what I mean. I added 4 Sheets to the Tin, but 6 Sheet would've covered it totally. I didn't remove the Ten Panel because of the Window & Regulator, but I would have added at least 4 Sheets to the Door Shell had I romoved Tin Panel w/Glass & Regulator. Instead, I opted to Cut 2 Sheets in Halve and just reach thru the Speaker Hole in the Tin and apply where I could. My main Goal was to Cut Sound Resonance, Stop Rattles from Vibration, & Quiet Road Noise all of which I did.

Here's the RaamMat Link. Just Click on the How To and go to Doors if you want to see what my 2nd Option was.

http://www.raamaudio.com/

Also, just to add to the Noise Quieting I add a Strip .175 Black Screen Spline in the Windshield Channel at the Roof Line. It fit just Snug enough that it doesn't come off during Highway Driving. I also added some Black Foam in the Headliner just below the Sunroof Wind Deflector and as to which one cut out the Roof Noise I'm not sure but it cut the noise by at least 80% from the Roof. When the Sunroof Liner is Closed that turn into 100% Noise Reduction. When the music is at 1/3 Volume Level you can't hear a Siren unless they're close to you. Crank it up and you will hear nothing but Pure Music Bliss! Laters,

Last edited by williebone; 12-03-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Scope of this project ?

Can you explain a little bit better what the scope of this project is ?

What I understodd so far:
- You damped the car aaditionally - which I plan for me A8L with B&O as well.
- You installed an additiona subwoofer - well, not sure If I need this

My biggest complain is so far:
- The trebles do sound not right and the mids could as well be clearer. The trebles sounds like a cheap tweeter or a cheap coppling cap infront of the tweeter. It is simply a pain. I have in my BMW an Scanspeak-Tweeter with a Mundorf Supreme-Cap infront and this is real music.

Do you know if the tweeter is driven by the B&O-Amp directly or is there a passive crossover somewhere ?

Best Regards

Frank
Old 12-20-2010, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

is a photo available...I looked at the area near the wind deflector and it is;nt readily apparent to me as to where I should put the foam. How thick, by the way? The roof quieting measures seem to have been very effective return for the effort and I would like to do the same.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by multiblitz
Can you explain a little bit better what the scope of this project is ?

What I understodd so far:
- You damped the car aaditionally - which I plan for me A8L with B&O as well.
- You installed an additiona subwoofer - well, not sure If I need this

My biggest complain is so far:
- The trebles do sound not right and the mids could as well be clearer. The trebles sounds like a cheap tweeter or a cheap coppling cap infront of the tweeter. It is simply a pain. I have in my BMW an Scanspeak-Tweeter with a Mundorf Supreme-Cap infront and this is real music.

Do you know if the tweeter is driven by the B&O-Amp directly or is there a passive crossover somewhere ?

Best Regards

Frank
The Scope of this Thread is to Improve Sound Quality as much as you Dare To Choose! I am trying to Free Up My Mind from all of the daily To Do List of things that are going on this Holiday Season so that I can Write Creatively, so hopefully I'll be back in a Writing Mood soon to Finish this Thread.

While I don't have Specifics on B&O Specs (Speaker Size & Location), I would assume the same is True in General as it is with Bose. The quality of the Product used is Paper Products or at Best it is Low Grade Materials. The issue with the Bose Set-Up is that there are No Quote Un-Quote True Tweeters except for the 1" Tweeters in the Rear Doors.

Based on Total Recall, B&O has a Dedicated Tweeter that Rises from the Dash with a Woofer & Mid-Range Component in the Front Doors. Had I had B&O the first thing I would've of done is use Bentley Service Manual to Remove the Tweeter Housing, Replace the Tweeters and Re-Install. However, it is not that simple because of Internal Processing done by the Amp.

So the Total Scope of this Thread will deal with a Total Upgrade By-Passing the Amp and Replacing Any & Every Speaker you choose to replace. This is what I did except you have a Hand Up over my Bose System because I added Additional Tweeters to the Front Doors and Replaced the Mid-Range in the Dash. I will be covering the How To when I return to the Write Up of this Thread which will be addressing your concern exactly. I'm progressing thru the Write Up from a standpoint of Simple to Extensive Modification. I hear and feel your Pain! Happy Holidays & Laters,

Originally Posted by awdinut
is a photo available...I looked at the area near the wind deflector and it is;nt readily apparent to me as to where I should put the foam. How thick, by the way? The roof quieting measures seem to have been very effective return for the effort and I would like to do the same.
I had Strips of Foam lying around, but you could go to the Weather Stripping Section and find Peel & Stick (Black/Gray) Rolls/Strips of Foam. The Foam is Soft enough as to not Impeed the Lowering of the Deflector. It will just Compress the Foam Down beneath it. As for how thick, I cut it so that when I pinched it, it would Compress Enough to Not Stop the Deflector from lowering enough to Close Sunroof. I also filled in on the Sides of the Guide Rails and In & Around the Front of the Deflector in the Gaps. This is just a Feel Thing and requires some Experamenting until you're satified and there's nothing Technical about it other than maybe the Density of the Foam!

I don't ride with my Roof Open so everything stays put and dry! The Foam comes out easy if you need to service anything, but how will it hold up to open air (Roof Open) I'm not sure since my concern was Quietness of the Cabin. However, I'm sure that if Tucked Tight Enough and using Peel & Stick that it should Hold Up To Open Air. If it doesn't then it was such a Cheap Solution that it would cost nothing but a Few Bucks to Replace. Once again this is Nothing that is Not Reversable! Sorry about not having a Camera, but If I did, you would see Pics in my Sig. Hopefully I'll have a Nice New Camera for a Christmas Gift! Happy Holidays and laters,

Quick Reply: Bose & B&O System Upgrade Project